Raw Material Supplier Approval (Inks, Resin, Masterbatch etc)

neash83

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

I work for a company which manufactures plastic tableware.

I was curious to know how other people manage the supplier approval process for raw materials such as resin (largely polypropylene), inks and masterbatch.

For components items we carry out the more traditional Quality Audit looking at the end to end process. However for the raw materials we haven't tended to do this, as there isn't a great deal to look at for the manufacture of inks for example (also we aren't particularly qualified to comment on the manufacturing processes of inks and PP).

Does anybody purchase similar raw materials and if so how do you go about approving these suppliers?

Also note that after a raw material has been "approved", we do then qualify the material, but consider this to be material approval and not supplier approval.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ncwalker

Trusted Information Resource
There's aspects of the PPAP manuals that talk about "bulk materials."

The raw material depends on if it is registered or not. If the plastic is registered and has a registered formula with a controlling body like, for example, a steel does, your supplier supplies to this formula. And should be sending you some certification that he is compliant with the chemistry. In extreme cases, there will be a heat or a batch code and that material is not shipped until the customer releases it. This code is traceability maintained through the entire process.

Anyway, that's how all the raw material is dealt with from what I see.

Now - on to certifying the supplier. The question being - how does a raw material supplier get on an "approved" list.

1) Your company MAY have a supplier assessment of some sort. Even if you don't get "ink making" you could go there and see general quality concepts. These assessments are general in nature. Sometimes, if the material is important to you, there is a targeted audit as well. Sometimes this is available via an outside organization, like the AIAG. You can conduct these audits and certify the supplier.

2) You can also record/trend the data of the product he is giving you. All the chemicals, the key chemicals, something. Make a supplier scorecard. Certification comes from performance against this scorecard which usually measures cost, quality, delivery.

3) You can do both.

Reality I have observed, my experience is very much proximity to the final customer. If the raw material supplier is 3 or 4 tiers down, they get zero attention. With suppliers basically sending in certifications reports that get stored in a drawer. Closer to the OEMs and more questions get asked. But most are like "Does the guy have a TS cert?"

I actually find the whole thing a little strange. If you talk dimensions, the supply chains in general have an attitude of "this supplier is going to trick me somehow on his dimensions" and a climate of mistrust. But in the material specification world, it's like it's never questioned. What's strange to me is the reaction. Slogging through parts finding bad dimensions is ridiculously easier than slogging though parts looking for a material chemistry issue. It's like the customers only care about things they can check.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
I actually find the whole thing a little strange. If you talk dimensions, the supply chains in general have an attitude of "this supplier is going to trick me somehow on his dimensions" and a climate of mistrust. But in the material specification world, it's like it's never questioned. What's strange to me is the reaction. Slogging through parts finding bad dimensions is ridiculously easier than slogging though parts looking for a material chemistry issue.

It's like the customers only care about things they can check.
There may indeed be some of that, but there is also the element of cost...in this case broken into to primary buckets:

1. only care about what can be checked quick and cheap
2. only care about things you can affect

In Bulk materials, most customers don't buy enough to be able to get a bulk supplier to listen. Bulk is pretty darned big...bigger than automotive.
Someone buying tank cars a day may not have much pull with a company selling tank ships an hour. Just because it seems big, does not mean it is relevant to all.

Especially in polymer chemistry...you can get formula by things like ICP or gas MS...but the right formula doesn't mean the right polymer...and it may simply be cost prohibitive to chase that chain....especially when you've bought from years from the supplier without issue.

What I see (working in the paste industry) is trust until you get burned, then lot by lot use test from then on. An issue with bulk chemical supply is not something you can typically fix from a customer perspective...and is rarely something you can even complain about unless you are a tons per week customer. (and if you "fix it" your price will likely go up)

Golfman25

Most plastic resin is a trademarked brand -- ie; Dow chemical -- sold by distributors. Not really much to check there. A cert that the material is what it is should be enough. Even if it is generic, you can get a cert. Other than that, you can see if they have an ISO cert, do a quick survey and/or visit. But I think you need to determine how critical they are and go from there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
K ISO 9001 Requirements for Raw Material Supplier Assessment and Approval ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Do we have to prove a link between the mill and our raw material supplier? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
S Use of Published IMDS Data from our Raw Material Supplier RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
L Supplier Selection and Evaluation - Raw Material Manufacturer vs. Distributor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
2 MIN/MAX - Oversea Supplier Raw Material Supermarket Pull Systems Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
R IMDS Clarification - Including Raw Material Supplier IMDS Information RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
A AS9100 - Verification of Raw Material Supplier Test Reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 21
M USP Class I & II - Raw material supplier liability and responsibility Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
M Does a Raw Material Supplier Change Require PPAP? APQP and PPAP 21
L PPAP from Raw Material Supplier - What should we ask for? APQP and PPAP 8
Anonymous16-2 Dietary Supplement Raw Material/Component Storage and Production Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Raw material certificates - CC - Safety products - Sheet metal stamping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
F AS9100D, raw material standards are a requirement for manufacturing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C Clean room injection molding, raw material mixing requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Raw material Mixing / Preparation for clean room class C injection molding Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
M Raw stock material testing discrepancy using an XRF (x-ray fluorescence) analyzer Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
P Material selection - How do we select a raw material? Bolt made of SAE J994 grade 2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
D Raw Material chemical/Tensile Requirements Specifications (QQ-A-250/4, etc) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Are Medical device Raw material suppliers required to be ISO 13485 certified ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
D DFARS (Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement) Raw Material Information Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
C Approval of raw material suppliers which do not manufacture the material ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R AS9100D Cl. 8.4.2 - Identify Raw Material as a Significant Operational Risk AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J AS9100 - Validation of Test Reports for Al 304 Raw Material AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Nonconformance Raw Material Treatment in ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C What is considered a "Critical" Raw Material? (Re: DNA Synthesis) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
Z How to Contractually Agree on Specifications for Raw Material Purchases Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
J IMDS: How to manage same Raw Material from Two Suppliers? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
P FDA On-Site Inspection - Raw Material Manufacturing (Medical Devices) Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
N Receiving Inspection - Who should receive raw material Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
Gman2 Identification of Raw Material being used In-Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T AS9003 7.4.3 Critical Raw Material Verification Advice AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Raw Material - List Distributor or Manufacturer US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
N Subscription Service to Raw Material Specifications AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
P Medical Device Raw Material Traceability Requirements Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
J Relative Humidity and Plastic Raw Material Moisture Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J API Q1 9th Raw Material Specs on P.O.s Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
L AS9100 - 7.4.2d Purchasing - Specification revision for raw material needed? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
G TS 16949 External Lab for Raw Material Certs for PPAPs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
G MSA on a Ruler measuring Slit Steel Coil Raw Material Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K What is included in Raw Material and Component Specifications for Medical Devices? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
D Raw Material Specification for Frozen Chicken Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
I Implant Raw Material Supplied from Customer to Contract Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Temperature and Humidity requirements for Raw Material Storage and Quality Labs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
D Raw Material Waiver - Is Corrective Action Required? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
R FDA Definition of "Raw Material" 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M If a process has one basic raw material, can I use Kanban? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
Q Current Process Controls (Prevention) and Incoming Raw Material Inspections FMEA and Control Plans 8
C Feedback Charts for Raw Material QC Laboratory Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1