Raw stock material testing discrepancy using an XRF (x-ray fluorescence) analyzer

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
We have an internal process of scanning raw stock material using an XRF (x-ray fluorescence) analyzer (our analyzer is the Hitachi X-MET8000 Optimum). We had a piece of Aluminum Nickel Bronze (AMS 4640H) fail showing the Zinc content at .36%. Per the standard, the Zinc should be between 0-.3%. I then sent a piece of material to a secondary testing lab who showed the Zinc at .41% (using ASTM-E1086/14 MOD--honestly I don't know anything about this standard).

I contacted our vendor who requested a small piece of material for additional testing. They sent the material to 2x different labs.
Lab 1: .26% Zinc using test method ASTM E1621 (again, I know nothing about this spec).
Lab 2: .06% Zinc using specification ASTM E2 SM 5-17 (again, I know nothing about this spec).

The original mill certification shows the Zinc at .07%.

Question 1: Has anyone ever come across this type of discrepancy?
Question 2: Does anyone know if there is something about Aluminum Nickel Bronze that can cause such a wide variance in readings?
Question 3: How would you proceed to try to find the 'cause' and correct the discrepancy given such a wide range of readings?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
Have you verified your analyzer is working properly? Meaning a known good and known bad material. You have 2 labs that say the material is within specification of Zinc and the mill certification. Maybe you want to checked your analyzer. It might be giving you incorrect readings.

Just my opinion.

Michael_M

Have you verified your analyzer is working properly? Meaning a known good and known bad material. You have 2 labs that say the material is within specification of Zinc and the mill certification. Maybe you want to checked your analyzer. It might be giving you incorrect readings.

Just my opinion.

We have a 'calibrated' sample of aluminum that has zinc in it that we test against. Additionally, the secondary testing lab we sent the material to show the material out of spec at .41%.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
We have a 'calibrated' sample of aluminum that has zinc in it that we test against. Additionally, the secondary testing lab we sent the material to show the material out of spec at .41%.
This is definitely a dilemma. You have 3 people that say it is within specifications and you have 2 saying it is not.

What is the application of the material?

It might get down to calling it one way or the other. The grey area.

I wish I could help you more.

Michael_M

This is for Aerospace, and I have requested assistance from our customer. I am just scratching my head trying to figure out what a next step is.

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
Your hand held XRF may not be as accurate as the other methods being used. You should find out the details of the methods and instruments being used?

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is for Aerospace, and I have requested assistance from our customer. I am just scratching my head trying to figure out what a next step is.
My aerospace customers required benchtop XRF. Handheld XRF are not as accurate.

Michael_M

I probably did not write this up very well. There was a total of 3 independent lab tests that show the material with a huge range. Our XRF is used internally to verify material.

Labs used by Material vendor
Lab 1: .26% Zinc using test method ASTM E1621
Lab 2: .06% Zinc using specification ASTM E2 SM 5-17

Lab used by us when material failed internal testing:
Lab 3: .41% Zinc using test method ASTM-E1086/14 MOD

Our use of the XRF gun was what triggered the lab checks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
0 Guideline/Method for Raw Material Roll Stock Bioburden Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
C Raw Material Storage - AS9100 Requirements for 'Securing' Bar Stock Steel AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 22
R Certification and Testing of Raw Aluminum Stock - 7.4.3 question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
Q Change the shape of the raw material FAI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Anonymous16-2 Dietary Supplement Raw Material/Component Storage and Production Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Raw material certificates - CC - Safety products - Sheet metal stamping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
F AS9100D, raw material standards are a requirement for manufacturing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Production of raw materials in university labs? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
C Clean room injection molding, raw material mixing requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Raw material Mixing / Preparation for clean room class C injection molding Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
A Reduced Testing of Pharmaceutical Raw Materials Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
K ISO 9001 Requirements for Raw Material Supplier Assessment and Approval ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Material selection - How do we select a raw material? Bolt made of SAE J994 grade 2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
V Additional Controls for processing the raw data on different computers (processing system) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
S CQI-12 - Applicability to Raw Materials Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
C Informational CFR 21 Definition for Data or Raw Data Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
D Raw Material chemical/Tensile Requirements Specifications (QQ-A-250/4, etc) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Are Medical device Raw material suppliers required to be ISO 13485 certified ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
D DFARS (Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement) Raw Material Information Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
Q Do we have to prove a link between the mill and our raw material supplier? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
C Approval of raw material suppliers which do not manufacture the material ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
I 510k Performance Testing Studies (Raw Data) - What does the FDA expect 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
I 510(k) Raw Data from Studies - 21 CFR Part 11 Compliance Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
R AS9100D Cl. 8.4.2 - Identify Raw Material as a Significant Operational Risk AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J AS9100 - Validation of Test Reports for Al 304 Raw Material AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Nonconformance Raw Material Treatment in ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C What is considered a "Critical" Raw Material? (Re: DNA Synthesis) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
Z How to Contractually Agree on Specifications for Raw Material Purchases Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
J IMDS: How to manage same Raw Material from Two Suppliers? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
S Use of Published IMDS Data from our Raw Material Supplier RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
V Study About Raw Materials (Polymers) - DSC, FTIR,TGA, and SEM Images Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
P FDA On-Site Inspection - Raw Material Manufacturing (Medical Devices) Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
N Raw Material Supplier Approval (Inks, Resin, Masterbatch etc) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
N Receiving Inspection - Who should receive raw material Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
K TS 16949 Planning Phase: Raw Materials purchased from Distributer and the PPAP impact IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E Pallets need to be changed when raw materials are transferring from WH to MFG area? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
Gman2 Identification of Raw Material being used In-Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Archiving IVD Test Kit Raw Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T AS9003 7.4.3 Critical Raw Material Verification Advice AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Raw Material - List Distributor or Manufacturer US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
N Subscription Service to Raw Material Specifications AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Q Is Handwritten Raw Data required to keep with Electronic Records? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
P Medical Device Raw Material Traceability Requirements Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
J Relative Humidity and Plastic Raw Material Moisture Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J API Q1 9th Raw Material Specs on P.O.s Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
L AS9100 - 7.4.2d Purchasing - Specification revision for raw material needed? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Measure water activity for fresh raw chicken meat and giblets Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
S Cleanliness Requirements for Raw Materials Used in a Controlled Environment Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4