RCA (Request for Corrective Action) Instructions or Guidelines

JodiB

Still plugging along
We will soon put our CAPA into place (woo hoo) and there will need to be some instruction given to the management staff on what it is, how it will work, etc. I've put together a PowerPoint presentation with the basics.

My boss has asked if I could write a work instruction or guideline document on how to do a root cause analysis. The steps and the tools. Like, this is a fishbone and it works this way, and here is a Pareto chart and it works this way, or the 5 why approach is used thusly, and a fault tree looks like this and you use it this way,..... Something to introduce everyone to the tools that can be used and the methodologies. Has anyone here got any material that would be useful? I've scanned the web but don't have much of substance.

Also, I thought that presenting a case study in the training session would be a good exercise. Does anyone have a case study or a real life example that they would be willing to share?

We've recently had some classic cases where corrective action should be rolled out, but with nothing formal in place we are just dealing with it the same old band-aid way. When getting the CAPA procedure into place was mentioned, someone responded "what does this have to do with QA?" They just figure everything is a "technical" failure and that QA is some sort of standing-in-the-corner process thing.

Anyway back to my requests: guidelines on how to do root cause analysis, and a case study?

Thanks in advance ya'll!:bigwave:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Russ

Quite Involved in Discussions
CA

Lucinda,
Myself and our training manager are getting ready to do just this with our top management. Though we don't have any WI's in place outlining the whole process of root cause analysis, we have put together an in-house training class and are getting ready to try it out on the hard cases (i.e. top management). This has been put together from info out of the book "Corrective Action" available from Paton Press. I found it a good resource for this subject. You can download several of the forms in the book from their site. You will need some "good" case studies, and some "bad" (stinkers) case studies for examples to show your people how not to fill them out. I might be able to come up with a few good & bad ones I have received back after an internal audit if that will help.
:thedeal:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Re: RCA Instructions or Guidelines

Lucinda said:

My boss has asked if I could write a work instruction or guideline document on how to do a root cause analysis. The steps and the tools. Like, this is a fishbone and it works this way, and here is a Pareto chart and it works this way, or the 5 why approach is used thusly, and a fault tree looks like this and you use it this way,..... Something to introduce everyone to the tools that can be used and the methodologies. Has anyone here got any material that would be useful?

If you haven't already, take a peek at www.freequality.org. They might have a few items that might save you a few steps. I have not been there for a long while so I can't comment on how good the content might be -- the memory ain't what it used to be!

Good Luck,

Mike S.

M

Michael T

The Team Handbook

Hi Cinda...

The Team Handbook by Joiner & Associates has a really good section on Tools & when to use them, Processes & Systems, SIPOC Diagrams, process mapping, Ishikawa diagrams, Scatter plots, etc. It also has a chapter on Building an Improvement Plan that is pretty thorough. I highly recommend the book.

Hope this helps!!!

JodiB

Still plugging along
Thank you!

Thanks to everyone for your help. I got some good info from these sites and should be able to craft something.

energy, the guide is wonderful. I am plageri.....um, using it as a resource that will go in our Training section. (uh oh, now you'll be plagued with requests!)

E

energy

Not really

Mike S. said:

Is Energy holding out on the rest of us? I'm hurt...

Mike S.
Mike,

It's 16 page document that I've had for about 15 years. See how things haven't really changed that much. Same O Same O. It's not in electronic format so I faxed it to Lucinda. My motive was, of course, was just to get Lucinda's fax number so I can send sweet nothings to her. You want some? :biglaugh:
:ko: :smokin:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Yikes!

energy said:
Mike,
My motive was, of course, was just to get Lucinda's fax number so I can send sweet nothings to her. You want some? :biglaugh:
:ko: :smokin:

Nothing personal, Energy, but I think ...uh...um... our fax machine is broken.:)

Mike S.:vfunny:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q RCA (Request for Corrective Action) on an Information Transaction Process Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
C RCA - Internal Audit Request for Corrective Action ambiguity Internal Auditing 4
drgnrider Corrective Action for not meeting target-RCA obvious ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S RCA examples for Finance Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
GStough Is "Did Not Follow Procedures" Sufficient for RCA? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 30
A Who should be the CAR owner & Who is involved with RCA, CAPA plan & CAPA evaluation? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
Ajit Basrur RCA Training by 8D approach - Ideas appreciated :) Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 18
A Root Cause Analysis - Whether one can do RCA for Positive Findings Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
V Integrating the FMEA process with problem investigation/RCA process and PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
Q Can any one help me on RCA (Root Cause Analysis) Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
C Training for RCA - Root Cause Failure Analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
J How I Was Pushed Into RCA Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
S Standardization of Problem Solving - 6 Sigma, Red-X, 8D, VA/VE, PDCA, RCA, C&E Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 15
L Clinical research - Request from ANVISA ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
B IATF16949 audit requirement - Auditor request UCL and LCL must be show Xbar-R, IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
E Annual PPAP+ deviation request ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G IMS (Integrated Management System) 9001, 14001 & 45001- Request Assistance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
F ISO 13485 - EU countries that could request another audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
C New to Site - Request Help with API Q2 Implementation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
O ISO 9001 new certification advice request - Develop a QMS from scratch ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Informational Draft standardisation request as regards medical devices in support of Regulation (EU) 2017/745 and in vitro diagnostic medical devices in support of Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
T NAFTA request for form with no part numbers showing Supply Chain Security Management Systems 0
R IATF Exemption Request Letter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
M 8.3.2.3 Development of products with embedded software - request for clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
W Part Change Request - Standard (OTS) electronic parts (resistors, capacitors etc.) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Supplier blowing off CAR request Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
S PPT for ISO13485:2016 Employee Training (Request) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
D IMDS for machining - Can my customer request a IMDS number for a part? APQP and PPAP 2
E CAR (Corrective Action Request) Due Dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
J Class 1 Medical Device ECR (Engineering Change Request) Changes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Is it ok to provide a different language upon request? EU Medical Device Regulations 25
B Supplier is denying visit request Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 52
B Request for Information; Application for Accreditation Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
S Engineering change order versus a design change request ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
L Quality Manual for a Quality Plan (Manufacturing secrets?) Request Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
S What is the difference between a service request and a complaint? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R How many Corrective Action Request can be Issued by DCMA for a single issue? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
R DCMA QAR Request Supplier Data AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
J When to Initiate a CAR (Corrective Action Request) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Scheduling a Crisis Management Audit? Reasonable Request? Internal Auditing 2
S SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Request) Timeliness & Issuance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
I AS9100D - Interview Request - I'm doing research Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
G Should the Quality Department originate a Request for Deviation to the Customer? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
L Procedure Change Request Form - "ISO Procedures" Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
B Should I Request/Submit a PPAP from/to a Supplier/Customer for only Repackaging Parts APQP and PPAP 7
Moncia Recalculating RPN (FMEA Risk Priority Number) - Customer Request APQP and PPAP 10
S Establishment Inspection Report - Request 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
I Request an FDA GUDID Account - Problems Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
M Request for clarification on TS 16949 Clause 5.6.1.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5