Re-Energizing a Culture of Quality

T

thbohnsack

Hello,

I am looking for ways to re-enegize, re-introduce the meaning of what quality means to our manufacturing staff and supervisors. We are trending poorly with far too many non-conformances and customer credits for the last 18-20 months.

I would like to start with the supervisors - perhaps give them a simple questionaire at the next supervisor meeting to get them to think a little deeper, past just filling out the next NCR form.

I was thinking of simply asking them what is their perception of quality, do they think the system works - why or why not, also get them to comment on where they think their guys are on quality.

Any suggestions, any thing exist that could help me generate a simple short questionaire?

:thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Reg Morrison

I was thinking of simply asking them what is their perception of quality, do they think the system works - why or why not, also get them to comment on where they think their guys are on quality.

Any suggestions, any thing exist that could help me generate a simple short questionaire?
Sorry if I sound negative and deflating, but do you REALLY think you can change a corporate culture with a questionnaire? Organizational culture is something that takes a long time to change and ONLY happens if the people at the top want it to change. In my experience, people's perception of and support of "quality" just reflects what top management of the organization thinks of the subject.

Unless you tackle this issue at the highest level of the organization, don't bother with the underlings.

Good luck.

P

PaulJSmith

Reg makes a valid point regarding top management, but I'll disagree with his conclusion. I've found it very important to know the thoughts and ideas of "the underlings." They are, in fact the very people responsible for the quality of the products and services received by the customer. They're the front line of Quality. Knowing their concerns is a good place to start. Give them the tools to succeed, and most people will excel at whatever they do. Find out what tools they need, and go from there.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
While it does really have to flow from the top down for ultimate culture change I have had success in getting buy-in from middle management and supervision through training and always being there to talk with them when there is a problem... that communication can then infect the more senior people when they start seeing the results, especially to the bottom line.

A survey or interview is a good start to gather their perceptions and what they feel their roadblocks are. I can't overstate how important perception is when it comes to people resisting change.

Then get permission (if you need it) to form up some improvement teams - start small, show success with low hanging fruit, and expand. Next thing you know this will be reported at management review and senior leadership will see the good that is happening.

Sometimes you have to "manage up". That's how it worked where I am now and now the owner is a believer and in full support of the QMS and CI program.

L

lk2012

I agree with ScottK there. It's the people who directly affect Quality who really make the difference.

I'd tag on another question to the same topic:
What are you favourite methods to get buy-in for Quality from other areas? How do you persuade other departments that it's not just a Quality thing for a few dorks in the corner?

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello,

I am looking for ways to re-enegize, re-introduce the meaning of what quality means to our manufacturing staff and supervisors. We are trending poorly with far too many non-conformances and customer credits for the last 18-20 months.

I would like to start with the supervisors - perhaps give them a simple questionaire at the next supervisor meeting to get them to think a little deeper, past just filling out the next NCR form.

A questionnaire to diagnose what is right or wrong with your management system:

To be completed anonymously by all operators and supervisors

1. Which is more important, quality or cost?
  2. Is top management committed to quality?
  3. How does top management show its commitment?
  4. Are you helped to prevent problems?
  5. How are you helped to prevent problems?
  6. Or does your employer mainly react to problems?
  7. In solving problems are you involved?
  8. How are you involved?
  9. Do the problems come back after they are solved?
  10. Are people blamed for any of the problems?
  11. How do you react when blamed for a problem?
  12. Should your boss help you to get your work right the first time?
  13. How does your boss help you?
  14. Are you committed to quality?
  15. Describe how you are committed to quality?
  16. Does it cost less to get work right the first time?
Discreetly mark the forms going to supervisors so you can see the differences in response.

You may then analyze the responses to see what needs to be improved in your management system.

John

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
Hello,

If I were on the other side of the table, I would expect a conversation which I can easily connect with. Just to be little cautious, increased problems is not necessarily a testimonial for deteriorating Quality culture. I would rather listen to the voice of the system rather than people.

K

kbryde

Hi there,

I have had good experiences with informal training sessions with the people in production, sharing the complaints/responses from end users. Often they can relate to this and for some it is an eye-opening experience to understand that a "small" quality issue to them could mean a lot of discomfort and inconvenience to the end user. I agree that you need management to be on board, by while they have to "talk the talk", people who actually handle the product need to understand the potential consequence of poor quality - don?t underestimate the "underlings" :)

/kbryde

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
I would suggest it still may be worth doing some combination of structured interview / written survey, but across all employees. No, I would not expect this action to CHANGE the culture, but it could help to find out where some of the culture high points and low points may be.

I've run a lot of safety culture surveys, and several of them with a few word tweaks would suffice for quality.

One of the most successful questions I've used is "Senior Management (above your manager) visits your place of work". Sounds innocuous, but it turned out to be a very good cultural indicator.

Here is an interesting model from the Department of Energy on safety culture, but many of the same principles could be used for quality

https://hsspublic.energy.gov/deprep/2013/AttachedFile/TB13S30A_EM-ID-Assessment.pdf

Appendix E has a number of lines of inquiry questions. A simple global replace of "safety" with "quality" might give you some good ideas.

Then once you've identified the issues, you can work on improving the culture. Yes, senior management support will be needed, and they most likely are a source of the problem

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Embedding a Culture of Quality Into the Organisation Consultants and Consulting 6
S Medical device startup and culture of quality ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Making a Safety Culture Chart Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
B Improving Safety Culture within an Organisation Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
DanteCaspian Free Poster Download: LANGUAGE OF LEAN CULTURE (2017 Revision Attached) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
G Logo or design that would represent Spirit - Improving our Culture Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
AnaMariaVR2 Creating Global Giants from a Culture of Israeli Start-Ups Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
K How do I change management culture in regards to product? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
N New to Management: Culture Change Advice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
V Transforming the Attitude and Culture towards Documentation and Process Controls US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
W Pro-active Quality Culture Improvements - Suggestions, Tools and Techniques Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
A Safety Culture in Top Management - The Workplace Safety & Health Act Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
E Risk Management, Design and Distribution - Culture Media for the IVF Industry ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
J Webinar: Positive Changes in Workplace Culture The Reading Room 0
A Company Safety Culture Assessment - How should I structure the Surveys & Interviews? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 7
L Promoting (Changing to) a Quality Culture Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
D Understanding the culture of other public organizations Service Industry Specific Topics 3
C Training Material for Change Culture Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Q How to Improve the Quality Culture in a Company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 53
Q A Non-Quality Culture at a medical device manufacturing company Career and Occupation Discussions 13
S Corporate Culture - A general discussion Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 38
tony wardle Instill a culture of quality into a plethora of dubious suppliers from China ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 96
S Sterility Assurance Level of Liquids (SAL) - Special Culture Medium ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Culture Shock and Things Need to Change - Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
G "Inspection Culture " to "Quality Assurance Culture" - Upcoming Job Interview Career and Occupation Discussions 15
F Quality Management System vs. Effects of Local Culture on Implementing a QMS Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 22
T Changing Existing Quality Culture/Program - Where to Begin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
J How is your corporate culture before a surveillance Audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J What is really six sigma? Is a culture? A way to solve problems? Six Sigma 27
Marc Step by step, NASA is doing what it takes to 'fix the culture' Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
M Company Culture and how it affects ISO registration, profits, etc. Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 16
R Ten Things Management Can Do To Destroy a Quality Culture Registered Visitor Articles Archive 16
WALLACE What's next for Six sigma? An established culture? The Future of Six Sigma Six Sigma 34
G Quality Culture - Teaching Quality is as Important as Safety Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
B The Elusive Culture Change Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 58
A Lean Manufacturing - How do I change my company's Culture? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 26
L Changing the Culture of an organisation where quality is a dirty word ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 91
Pau Calvo Quality Management process is mandatory in ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
NDesouza No Quality Professional vs Having a Quality Professional Benchmarking 24
F Does anyone have an ESD quality/cooler talk to share? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
R Monitor production quality - Internal KPIs Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
U Examples of Quality Objectives for a Medtech start up ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A Quality engineering positions in US - question Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
R How would you work without a quality management system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Updating Quality Manual to API Q1 Service Industry Specific Topics 4
R Electrical contractor Project Quality Management Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7