SBS - The best value in QMS software

Re-packager/Re-Labeler - FDA Registration question

Z

znelson

My company is planning to register as a re-packager/re-labeler for a Class II cardiac monitor. My question is regarding how we should be registering our facility with FDA (we are already registered as a manufacturer).

Clearly we will need to register as a re-packager/re-labeler of the cardiac monitor [510(k)]. However, is it necessary to register the 510(k) of the disposable ECG electrodes that will be used with the monitor? We are not changing the immediate packaging or labeling of the ECG electrode pouches. We plan to remove the sealed pouches from the OEM ECG packaging and place the electrode pouches with the re-packaged/re-labeled cardiac monitor.

Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this? Thanks for your help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

It sounds to me as if you'll be a kit assembler, not a repackager.

You might additionally be a relabeler depending on whether you leave the existing labeling and perhaps add a supplemental label to identify yourself, or instead overlabel or otherwise entirely replace the existing labeling with your own labeling.

You aren't "changing your registration". There aren't different types of registration. What you'll be doing, rather, is declaring as you list each of your products, what your activity is in regard to that product. You'll check off each activity-category that applies.

Sheila1

Starting to get Involved
I had a question about relabelers and registration/listing. I understand that if you leave the original OEM label in place and add a sticker saying "Manufactured for" or "Distributed by" then you are not a relabeler. I also understand that if you completely replace the label or over-label and label the device in your own name, you are a relabeler (and possibly a manufacturer). However, do you become a relabeler and need to list the device if you over-label or replace the label and the new label has the "Manufactured for" or "Distributed by" designation (the original manufacturer is aware of this)? How would this be different from a private labeling scenario where the OEM does the labeling in the distributor's name?

Thanks!

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I had a question about relabelers and registration/listing. I understand that if you leave the original OEM label in place and add a sticker saying "Manufactured for" or "Distributed by" then you are not a relabeler. I also understand that if you completely replace the label or over-label and label the device in your own name, you are a relabeler (and possibly a manufacturer). However, do you become a relabeler and need to list the device if you over-label or replace the label and the new label has the "Manufactured for" or "Distributed by" designation (the original manufacturer is aware of this)? How would this be different from a private labeling scenario where the OEM does the labeling in the distributor's name?

Thanks!
Hello Sheila and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

You are in the grey area. To remove doubt, you better have a written contract with the OEM clearly stating that this is a private label arrangement and that they continue to bear all regulatory responsibility, ready to show to FDA investigators. To avoid complications I would also put in place a written agreement controlling the contents (and other properties) of the over-label and the way in which they can be changed through documented agreement between your company and the OEM.

In some specific circumstances you might get away with less (given some good will on FDA's part), but do you really want to take the risk?

Last edited:

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
However, do you become a relabeler and need to list the device if you over-label or replace the label and the new label has the "Manufactured for" or "Distributed by" designation (the original manufacturer is aware of this)? How would this be different from a private labeling scenario where the OEM does the labeling in the distributor's name?
Ronan, I liked what you wrote.
Sheila1, just to add form my understanding:
1. If you over-label than you are a relabeler.
2. If the manufacturer removes its own identification label and put the "Manufactured for" label with your information then its a private label scenario. The quality agreement between you and the manufacturer will determine who will bear the regulatory responsibility - you or the OEM.

So to answer your questions: For the fist question the answer is "yes". For the second question: Outwardly it looks like a private label, but if the manufacturer does all the work and assumes the regulatory responsibility than that puts you in a state of a distributor with no regulatory burden.

I hope it's clear & make sense.

-Shimon

Sheila1

Starting to get Involved
OK. That makes sense. If you do it yourself, you are a relabeler because you need quality controls to ensure the label is accurate. It was a bit unclear because of the "Manufactured for" indicating it is a distribution scenario.

Thanks!:thanx:

O

Oconster

I’ve read through here and I’ve got the understanding of where I think my company belongs, but here’s where I’m lost. We take a bulk pack device that is sold nonsterile and relabel it repackage it and sterilize it. We have a PLD agreement with the manufacturer and they know we do this. We import the device from Germany. The device was 510(k) approved for user sterilization (moist heat) and we are doing Gamma. What do we need to have in place to satisfy the fda? Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys,
We have similar situation where a wrong UPC barcode was printed. Are we allowed to affix correct UPC barcode as repackager or relabeler?

Hi Guys,
We have similar situation where a wrong UPC barcode was printed. Are we allowed to affix correct UPC barcode as repackager or relabeler?
You would have to follow your quality agreement with the supplier first and foremost, but if it is a label you printed, you should be able to handle it through your standard nonconformance process and rework the product.

I would not modify or over-label the label of a supplier though, even if it is stated that you can in the quality agreement. With regards to enforcement action/recall responsibility, it would be the original manufacturer's responsibility to ensure the label is accurate and that they maintain retention labels, and it would be their responsibility to determine if the UPC issue is severe enough to warrant further action. Modifying the supplier's label would be a big issue - FDA could consider that adulteration of a product.

You would have to follow your quality agreement with the supplier first and foremost, but if it is a label you printed, you should be able to handle it through your standard nonconformance process and rework the product.

I would not modify or over-label the label of a supplier though, even if it is stated that you can in the quality agreement. With regards to enforcement action/recall responsibility, it would be the original manufacturer's responsibility to ensure the label is accurate and that they maintain retention labels, and it would be their responsibility to determine if the UPC issue is severe enough to warrant further action. Modifying the supplier's label would be a big issue - FDA could consider that adulteration of a product.
Hi ,
original UPC barcode Label was created by us. Due to different market channel requirement we have to modify UPC number and barcode. We are not planning to open sealed product. Just over labeling external UPC barcode. Do you see this as a problem?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Contract Packager or Repackager? And can client assume responsibility? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
Q Private Labeler FURLS Responsibility-USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Z Labeler Code - Private labelling for OTC (Over the Counter) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
E Original Brand Labeler (OBL) in China China Medical Device Regulations 2
S Is company “A” a contract manufacturer, a labeler, or a repackager 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Q Medical Device Establishment Registration/Listing for Foreign Private Labeler Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
M Medical Device Private Labeler Responsibilities 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
C UDI (Unique Device Identifier) Definition of Labeler Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Free XY Chart Labeler for Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
pbojsen OEM / OBL "Private labeler" agreement template? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
Q FDA: File an electronic Registration of Drug Establishment/Labeler Code 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D FDA Guidance on Computer Software Assurance versus 21 CFR Part 11 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
G Does FDA allows remote approvals of quality documentation. Is there any specific guidance on signing any quality records remotely? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B Does FDA Registration QSR need to cover non-medical devices for contract repackager? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
C Non-sterile reusable surgical instruments - FDA sterilization requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
D FDA Information - Revising the Instructions for Use US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Transitional Adolescent A and B - "CDRH PREMARKET REVIEW SUBMISSION COVER SHEET FORM FDA 3514" Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
B FDA requirement for CAPA Signoff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P MSDS for MVQ FDA White, Vinyl Methyl Silicone Rubber EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Manufacturing Process FDA FOIA Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
S Manufacturing Process FDA FOIA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Mechanical Test Under FDA Freedom of Information Act Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 12
C RA (Regulatory Assurance) Training (FDA) looking for resources Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
E FDA 513(g) Cover Letter US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
S Records - Do's and don't' of record entries (FDA - 21 CFR 820) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
B New Facility register with FDA Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
K 510k FDA review, will they accept Biocompatibility result generated using feasibility product lots? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J FDA regulation on decorative contact lenses Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
P Anyone have an Idea on UAE Medical device registeration- Class B with FDA only Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F FDA classification for a mobile app Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
Ed Panek IFU Contact Requirements - FDA and MDD/MDR US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
O Any info on release date of FDA “Computer Software Assurance for Manufacturing and Quality System Software” document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
P Writing a presubmission to the FDA prior to the De novo submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
K FDA - Can we have more than 1 Initial Importer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
K Two FDA questions regarding UDI (and potentially 803.52 MDR) Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
R Importers - For the FDA Registration/ Listing, is the CMO the importer? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
Z Iterative development and FDA change requests IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 12
P FDA Approved Product Contact Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O Clarifying FDA definition of "finished device" and “capable of functioning” 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A FDA guidance on non-sterile Medical Device Packaging Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
JoCam FDA Registration for Sub-contract manufacturers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M FDA News FDA Releases Draft Guidance Clarifying Application of ISO 10993-1 Biocompatibility Standard Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Is IEC 60601-1-2 required by FDA for all electronic medical devices? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
E Contract manufacturer FDA requirements foreign company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
P Choice of FDA reviewer US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J Is Device Tracking Card an actual requirement under FDA regulation? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
T Definition Human Use (FDA) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
K FDA 510k electrosurgery 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0