Re-PPAP My Parts? Production layout has changed

C

chuy sanchez

I have ppap of my parts since 1 year ago , but i chenge the production layout, that menas i re-organize my production lines so, i need to re-ppap all of them ????

Also the old ppap was with 2 ed. and this new ppap is applying ???

somebody help !!!!

thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I suggest that you break down the move and list what processes may have changed. There are a number of threads here - if I get ambitious I'll do a search and list some threads.

Let's say you move 2 processes. One is a hand rivet operation. The 2nd is a 10 ton press.

Moving the hand rivit operation will probably not affect capability.

On the other hand, moving the press involves many things: how level the floor is, how deep the building foundation is at that point (vibration issues), possible torque of the press during moving, etc., etc. I would expect your plan to re-PPAP that process.

So - you take a good look at what you change when you do the move. Make a list of the processes and identify those that have a potential to change as a result of the move.

Make your plan (whch you should be doing anyway) and submit it to your customer SQA (or whatever activity is handling your PPAPs). Ask for approval.

Why do I say submit a plan or 'proposal'? If you do it with a few sentences about each process to explain why you do or do not plan to re-PPAP (let's face it - you're going to do a setup of the 10 ton press after you move it anyway because you know the move will change too many factors - tell the SQA that is a few words). These folks don't want to do your planning for you. Don't ask them what to do. Do your homework and submit a plan with reasoning.

If you don't submit a plan you're more likely to get a response like Full PPAP.

One last comment - If you last PPAPed 1 year ago your customer may require a 1 year resubmission anyway.

The latest version of the PPAP manual applies.

D
I will try not to get too lengthy on this, but I am desperate for some help. We have 1 customer requiring PPAP. It is a Tier 1 supplier. If I am wrong, please straighten me out quickly.... Every single time we buy a new tool or fix a broken, used tool, every time we use a different press, a different furnace, a different supplier, a different ANYTHING, we need to do a level 3 PPAP again. This could add up to 24 hours of PPAPs. I am sure we are not the only company who deals with this. I can imagine Tier 1 suppliers dealing directly with the Big 3 (we are a tier 2 supplier), are doing 24 hour PPAPing or they are doing something with their customers to keep this under control. I have been asked to present something to the customer to get a waiver for all of these continuous PPAPS. I'm in a bind, but will find a way out eventually. Can anybody tell me how they handle this with their customers? I would be extremely grateful for any help I can get. THANKS! I am not looking for a way to screw the customer out of quality-the quality is there. But I'm not fond of telling a customer they need to pay $$$$ for each one of these PPAP's or we can't do them either.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
There are a number of threads here on PPAP and when it's required. You mioght want to do a forum search and see what pops up.

Most people say look in the PPAP book. If youy read my first response above you will see there is no black and white. If you have two furnaces, for example, and you have evidence (maybe by thermal profiling) that each is essentially 'the same', you would *probably* not need to PPAP that furnace.

As I said in the post above, I would talk to (or meet with) the supplier SQA and pose the issue. Discuss which specifics they want rePPAPed including the time required and 'what it buys'. Again, as an example, if you have a small hand press that sits on a table and you want to move it to another table, I cannot see why you would rePPAP that move unless it was a move from the third floor where it's air conditioned to the basement where it's 95 degrees all the time (affect operator?).

RePPAP each tool change? What if you change tools 4x a day. Obviously you're not goint to rePPAP every tool change.

You're going to have to sort out each of the issues invooved and see what makes sense to rePPAP.

D
Thanx Marc,
As always I get an answer. I am putting a presentation together to submit to the customer. I have thoroughly read the manual -AGAIN. What I never did look at in the back of the book was customer specific requirements because we are not a tier one supplier. However, I found some very interesting information which I think everyone could use who is trying to provide PPAPs in the numbers. Does anyone know what it means to be a self-certifying supplier to Ford? I have e-mailed this question to the AIAG for further investigation - don't know if I will get a reply or not. I have never e-mailed them questions before. They say the response is 24 hours. Time will tell. For anyone with the same problem I have; if you read the customer specific PPAP stuff in the back of the manual; you will get a pleasant suprise as I did on how to document not needing a PPAP. This is a new mission for me - you will probably hear from me again!

------------------

S

Spaceman Spiff

Does anyone know what it means to be a self-certifying supplier to Ford?

In my past dealings with Ford that means if you are a Q-1 supplier and do not supply products that are emission related, then you can submit the warrant sheet only with the Q-1 stamp on it. However, you are still required to maintain a Level 3 PPAP file in-house.

J

JuanAgos

Re: re-ppap my parts

Originally posted by chuy sanchez
I have ppap of my parts since 1 year ago , but i chenge the production layout, that menas i re-organize my production lines so, i need to re-ppap all of them ????

Also the old ppap was with 2 ed. and this new ppap is applying ???

somebody help !!!!

thanks

Hola, acabo de leer tu mensaje, y dejame decirte que deacuerdo a los req. de PPAP, cuando modificas documentos como Diagramas de flujo, planes de control, PFMEA requieres sumitir PPAP a tu cliente, a menos que tu cliente no lo requiera.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P PPAP for Spare Parts - Low Volume - Occasional Production APQP and PPAP 5
M Level 3 PPAP submission of intentional defective parts APQP and PPAP 4
N How to deal with catalog parts suppliers who refuse to submit PPAP documents? APQP and PPAP 0
P Automotive Customer asking PPAP for catalogue parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
J What level PPAP for 5 critical parts? APQP and PPAP 8
N Can you use parts from Run at Rate to use in your PPAP? APQP and PPAP 4
G Customer wants PPAP on Old Parts to New Standards APQP and PPAP 8
N Customer wants a PPAP/PSW on some Prototype Parts APQP and PPAP 6
B Should I Request/Submit a PPAP from/to a Supplier/Customer for only Repackaging Parts APQP and PPAP 7
S Service Parts PPAP AIAG Manual - Opinions APQP and PPAP 4
V Are there different expectations for PPAP for Service Parts? APQP and PPAP 1
V PPAP Requirements for Plating a "Family of Parts" APQP and PPAP 8
R PPAP requests for old parts that pre-date your PPAP Process APQP and PPAP 2
V Issue: Suppliers charge for complete Level III PPAP package - Heat Treated Parts APQP and PPAP 16
O PPAP Validation for Electronic Parts (PCBA) APQP and PPAP 6
B TS16949 Annual PPAP Submission Requirements for Ford and Chrysler Parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Mr.Happy PPAP including FAI Parts - Customer is requiring 5000 measurements APQP and PPAP 15
G PPAP to distributors or catalog parts??? APQP and PPAP 9
B PPAP for Class "A" Injection Molded Plastic Parts needed APQP and PPAP 5
A Plastic Parts Mass - Plastic part weight to be +/- 0.5% from PPAP parts APQP and PPAP 14
E Help with PPAP Level 3 for a small company! Machined parts APQP and PPAP 5
N Supplier PPAP - How many parts should they submit? APQP and PPAP 6
V PPAP for electronics - What do we have to require for PCB compare to mechanical parts APQP and PPAP 4
P Internal PPAP Audit - What should I ask? Plastic parts (automotive) TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
R Out of Specification Parts from Supplier. Do we need to re-PPAP? APQP and PPAP 7
Q Misunderstanding Marking Polymaric Parts - PPAP APQP and PPAP 1
J PPAP Marking - Polymeric Parts - AIAG PPAP Manual 4th edition, page 4, Clause 2.2.1.2 APQP and PPAP 5
N Service Parts and PPAP - Outsourcing service parts to a third-party manufacturer APQP and PPAP 2
M Difficult to do according to PPAP Manual? Big plastic parts, over 100 dimensions APQP and PPAP 5
C Archive Requirements - Past engineering change levels and service parts for PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
M Definition of family of parts - PPAP Sec.II - FORD Specific Instructions APQP and PPAP 4
V PPAP for Service parts? APQP and PPAP 1
D PPAP parts held until new PPAP APQP and PPAP 1
D PPAP Master Parts - Do we have to save the original PPAP parts? APQP and PPAP 2
T PPAP for distributors? APQP and PPAP 1
A PPAP for Fire extinguisher APQP and PPAP 2
S PPAP Progress - Visual Status Board APQP and PPAP 0
C AS9145 Appendix D PPAP Approval Form APQP and PPAP 2
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 22
V 3 PQ lots mentioned as requirement in PPAP. Is this necessary? APQP and PPAP 2
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
F How to submit PPAP without IMDS APQP and PPAP 10
GreatNate Excel PPAP Tracking templates or tool wanted APQP and PPAP 1
M Where can I find examples of PPAP? APQP and PPAP 6
R Process Specification - What is the name of this PPAP form? APQP and PPAP 15
I PPAP Assembly and Components Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
F PPAP Documentation Control APQP and PPAP 8
K PPAP Phases Vs PPAP Levels APQP and PPAP 2
R Plan to Volvo Cars for capacity verification in Phase 3 of PPAP Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
G Job interview - So I have to do a presentation on PPAP APQP and PPAP 16