REACH and ISO 9001:2000/13485:2003 - Never the Twain Shall Meet?

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
Could someone please point me in the right direction on this? Does REACH documentation need to be included in a company's QMS for ISO compliance?

I have read some of the newer threads here, but didn't see anything that might indicate one way or the other. Where ISO 13485:2003 makes reference to "international or regional requirements", I'm thinking that REACH would be included in this. Am I correct?

I hope someone can help me here....:bigwave:

Thanks...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
I wish I could help here Gidget but I really don't know much about REACH. I even did a search on the ASQ Discussion Boards and couldn't find anything that addressed you question.

I am sure someone will be able to help on this subject.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I hope someone can help me here....
I know very little about REACH, Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemical substances. The best website I was able to find is the "official" http://ec.europa.eu/environment/chemicals/reach/reach_intro.htm

Also, the REACH in Brief document scope paragraph states:
REACH is very wide in its scope covering all substances whether manufactured, imported, used as
intermediates or placed on the market, either on their own, in preparations or in articles, unless they are radioactive, subject to customs supervision, or are non-isolated intermediates. Waste is specifically exempted. Food that meets the definition of a substance, on its own or in a preparation, will be subject to REACH however, such substances are largely exempted from Registration, Evaluation and Authorisation. Member States may exempt substances used in the interests of defence. Other substances are exempted from parts of REACH, where other equivalent legislation applies. The Commission will review the scope of the Regulation five years after entry into force.
So, if you work for a manufacturer of devices in the US, REACH might only affect you, in terms of potential material substitution, if your product contains a chemical that is deemed to be toxic, pretty much like ROHS.

Based on what I read, REACH is one of those statutory/regulatory requirements that might not affect you.​

harry

Super Moderator
Could someone please point me in the right direction on this? Does REACH documentation need to be included in a company's QMS for ISO compliance?

I have read some of the newer threads here, but didn't see anything that might indicate one way or the other. Where ISO 13485:2003 makes reference to "international or regional requirements", I'm thinking that REACH would be included in this. Am I correct?

I hope someone can help me here....:bigwave:

Thanks...
I don't think there is a right or wrong way. It's all up to you. On the assumption that you need to comply to these, ultimately it is whether you comply or not.

If I need to comply with REACH/RoHS, I will group them together with ISO 14001 ( if I have such an EMS system) and reference them under the relevant section requiring you to meet legal and other requirements.

With regards to a QMS, I don't think I will reference or include them there (but there is no harm). I would like to keep everything inside there as quality related.

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't think there is a right or wrong way. It's all up to you. On the assumption that you need to comply to these, ultimately it is whether you comply or not.

If I need to comply with REACH/RoHS, I will group them together with ISO 14001 ( if I have such an EMS system) and reference them under the relevant section requiring you to meet legal and other requirements.

With regards to a QMS, I don't think I will reference or include them there (but there is no harm). I would like to keep everything inside there as quality related.
Harry,

We are not registered/certified to ISO 14001, just ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 13485:2003.

What you suggest makes sense, IF we need to comply with REACH/RoHS...

Thanks! :bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Change to Formulation due to Reach (China Medical Device Regulations) China Medical Device Regulations 0
C Difficulties getting RoHS/REACH for cheap parts RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
P How far an operator can reach into a machine before it becomes an ergonomic problem CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
M EU – REACH Authorisation Decisions List REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
M EU – Chemical Safety Report – CSR – REACH Authorisation decisions – Triton X-100 – Ortho-clinical-Use1 REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
Nicole Desouza Who has to be compliant with REACH Declarations? REACH and RoHS Conversations 11
J Where can I find the latest update to Reach and ROHS? REACH and RoHS Conversations 7
padraick63 REACH and ROHS Requirement for a Molded Part REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
R Certificate of compliance to RoHS/REACH/WEEE - any such animal? REACH and RoHS Conversations 18
T MSDS Language Requirements for Reach Purposes REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
S IMDS=REACH for automotive industry? REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
L REACH Compliance - Small, family-owned contract manufacturer REACH and RoHS Conversations 16
R REACH and ROHS compliance for hundreds of parts made over 25 years REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
P REACH - BOMcheck.net - What I can expect from this service? REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
P REACH - A few of the hundreds components in my product no longer meet requirement REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
C SVHC Lead - Communicate in the supply chain under Article 33 of the REACH Regulation REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
D How do I show compliance to RoHS, REACH and Conflict Minerals? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
J RoHS, WEEE and REACH Consulting Expertise Needed REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
P Necessary Compliance Documentation for RoHS and REACH REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
M ROHS & REACH in TEFLON Material - NABL Testing Laboratories REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
N Taking exception to REACH Requirement - Appropriate Language REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
H REACH Registration Requirements - Who is required to Register REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
dubrizo Who handles Your Reach, RoHS, 3TG Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
smryan Compliance Officer Outsourcing? RoHS, REACH, ELV, GADSL, IECSC Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
R How to demonstrate REACH Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
N How do I demonstrate REACH compliance ? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
M Medical devices are CE mark but not sold in EU - Need to comply with REACH? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
Q REACH due dilligence and meeting the ever moving SVHC target RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
L IOS-MAT-0010 vs REACH/ROHS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
P Law restrictions in each country [REACH, CONFLICT MINERALS, Canada Gazette] RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
W REACH - Candidate List Substance vs. Authorisation List Substance in EEE RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
E IFU Changes - How it is ensured that IFU changes reach Surgeons EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Service Part Issues - Request for MDS and REACH Declaration RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
A Start Compliance to RoHS, SCHV and REACH RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
I REACH Certificate of Compliance Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J Anyone using SiliconExpert Technologies Software for RoHS/REACH/CM RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
S Chinese / English Language REACH Statements RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
J RoHS/REACH Compliance Tools and PLM Integration RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 14
S Does Australia/New Zealand require RoHS, WEEE, REACH and EMC? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
Brizilla Is 303 SS (sus 303) Reach Compliant? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
B REACH & ROHS Declaration for Concrete Casting Water Feature RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
N Off Shore Supplier PCBA REACH Reporting RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
quality1 Charging Customers for REACH Documentation RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
R Ppk vs Cpk: Big Differences - What conclusion can I reach about my process? Six Sigma 3
V Worker Chemical Safety Assessment - CEFIC/REACH Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 0
O REACH Registration - Automotive Parts Manufacturer based in Morocco RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
S Applicability of REACH Requirements RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 7
T Is REACH applicable to Medical Devices in the EU? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
R Are you using software for REACH? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 7
F Making a REACH statement - Plastic Injection Moulding RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9