REACH and ROHS compliance for hundreds of parts made over 25 years

R. Webb

Involved In Discussions
I just received a request for a declarative statement regarding REACH and ROHS compliance for hundreds of parts that have made for a fortune 500 company over the past 25 years. Some of these parts have not been made since 2005 and before and some predate our electronic records so I have no records of them. Also some vendors are no longer in business. As I work for a small company we really do not have the staff or expertise to research all of this. My immediate reaction is to tell them if they designed the part(s) to be compliant then they are compliant as we made the parts to print. However that is not too customer friendly and have been advised against it. I do not have a problem with parts that have been made in the last few years and any active part numbers but going back as far as the last century seems a little much to ask.

Has anyone else encountered this and if so any ideas on how to handle it?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
Tell them the truth. Consider the shelf life of the material and say you can only provide the requested information for parts made the last 5 years.
I had to do that. Customer hadn't bought the parts since 2005, still had some in Inventory and we said, sorry cannot do.

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
Another angle to limit the amount of work: Check what your customer specified for record retention and any information you sent the customer about how long you retain records. Anything beyond the record retention time is off the table.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Certificate of compliance to RoHS/REACH/WEEE - any such animal? REACH and RoHS Conversations 18
D How do I show compliance to RoHS, REACH and Conflict Minerals? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
P Necessary Compliance Documentation for RoHS and REACH REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
dubrizo Who handles Your Reach, RoHS, 3TG Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
smryan Compliance Officer Outsourcing? RoHS, REACH, ELV, GADSL, IECSC Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
A Start Compliance to RoHS, SCHV and REACH RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
J RoHS/REACH Compliance Tools and PLM Integration RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 14
C Difficulties getting RoHS/REACH for cheap parts RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
J Where can I find the latest update to Reach and ROHS? REACH and RoHS Conversations 7
padraick63 REACH and ROHS Requirement for a Molded Part REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
J RoHS, WEEE and REACH Consulting Expertise Needed REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
M ROHS & REACH in TEFLON Material - NABL Testing Laboratories REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
L IOS-MAT-0010 vs REACH/ROHS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
J Anyone using SiliconExpert Technologies Software for RoHS/REACH/CM RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
S Does Australia/New Zealand require RoHS, WEEE, REACH and EMC? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
B REACH & ROHS Declaration for Concrete Casting Water Feature RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
ScottK Are printed paper products subject to REACH and RoHS? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
T Difference between IMDS, RoHS, REACH-SVHC, Material composition declaration certs. RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 13
somashekar Substances declarations web database for REACH, RoHS, Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
smryan Does REACH include RoHS materials? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
ScottK Is it just my customers or is every REACH or RoHS request you get "URGENT"? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 14
Q REACH - Is it not the same as RoHS /IMDS? Can someone explain? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
F Change to Formulation due to Reach (China Medical Device Regulations) China Medical Device Regulations 0
P How far an operator can reach into a machine before it becomes an ergonomic problem CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
M EU – REACH Authorisation Decisions List REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
M EU – Chemical Safety Report – CSR – REACH Authorisation decisions – Triton X-100 – Ortho-clinical-Use1 REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
Nicole Desouza Who has to be compliant with REACH Declarations? REACH and RoHS Conversations 11
T MSDS Language Requirements for Reach Purposes REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
S IMDS=REACH for automotive industry? REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
L REACH Compliance - Small, family-owned contract manufacturer REACH and RoHS Conversations 16
P REACH - BOMcheck.net - What I can expect from this service? REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
P REACH - A few of the hundreds components in my product no longer meet requirement REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
C SVHC Lead - Communicate in the supply chain under Article 33 of the REACH Regulation REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
N Taking exception to REACH Requirement - Appropriate Language REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
H REACH Registration Requirements - Who is required to Register REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
R How to demonstrate REACH Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
N How do I demonstrate REACH compliance ? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
M Medical devices are CE mark but not sold in EU - Need to comply with REACH? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
Q REACH due dilligence and meeting the ever moving SVHC target RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
P Law restrictions in each country [REACH, CONFLICT MINERALS, Canada Gazette] RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
W REACH - Candidate List Substance vs. Authorisation List Substance in EEE RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
E IFU Changes - How it is ensured that IFU changes reach Surgeons EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Service Part Issues - Request for MDS and REACH Declaration RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
I REACH Certificate of Compliance Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Chinese / English Language REACH Statements RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
Brizilla Is 303 SS (sus 303) Reach Compliant? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
N Off Shore Supplier PCBA REACH Reporting RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
quality1 Charging Customers for REACH Documentation RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
R Ppk vs Cpk: Big Differences - What conclusion can I reach about my process? Six Sigma 3
V Worker Chemical Safety Assessment - CEFIC/REACH Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 0