Reaction Plan To Drive suppliers to IATF 16949 registration

Hello All, been a long time since I've been here. I am looking at IATF16949 8.4.2.3. As the Supplier Quality Engineer for my company I have to visit and audit our suppliers. I was asked about a reaction plan for suppliers that are not registered to IATF16949 or ISO9001 for that matter, what is our reaction plan for developing that supplier to IATF or what happens if they can't or will not get registered? I don't see where there has to be a documented action plan for this. However, it seems there has to be one does anyone have an example of what you've done? I am getting nowhere with my google search.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I think is basically up to your supplier. You’ll need to work with them to develop a schedule to get them where you want.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
IATF16949 8.4.2.3
Good day @theGrod ;
Good and oft debated topic. So, as you are aware, the clause you referenced states "...SHALL require...SHALL...9001 by maintaining third party certification". No question regarding ISO 9001. Unless your customer has provided a waiver to the contrary, your suppliers shall be ISO 9001 certified.

Here's where the wording gets soft.
"...the ultimate objective ...[IATF 16949] ..."
"...the following sequence SHOULD be applied..."

Regardless of the poor wording, however, it is clear that the intent of clause 8.4.2.3 is for suppliers to be required to have "ultimate goal of IATF 16949 certification". How each individual 3rd party and auditor will interpret and apply to your specific situation can be (should not be) anybody's guess.

In the past I have simply ensured that eligible suppliers not certified to IATF 16949 submitted a plan. That "plan" could be loosely worded and be a "long term" plan.

Not very objective information, but hope this helps.

Be well.

joekirk

Involved In Discussions
One way to look at it is by reviewing clause 8.4.2.4.1. Organizations need to document the criteria for determining the need, type, frequency, and scope of second party audits. How you answer this question will help you on 8.4.2.3.
Many organizations have developed a scorecard for suppliers that should include everything in 8.4.2.4 and the status of their QMS (ISO9001, IATF16949 or nothing). Criteria for doing second party audits could be established (if a supplier is below XX then we must schedule an audit).

Where I have seen companies fail is that they put criteria in place, but fail to conduct the audits for one reason or another (travel budget cut, did not have time, priorities, etc...).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Reaction plan in case of power outage Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S Reaction Plan for SPC (Statistical Process Control) Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Q Reaction Plan the same as CA or not? Can CA be PrePlanned? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
V References instead of Detail - Control Method and Reaction Plan FMEA and Control Plans 5
L Reaction Plan for unstable spc conditions QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
A Work Instructions - Process Control and a SOR (Set-up, Operate, and Reaction) Plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc Control Plan content and fields - Format and Reaction Plan - 4.9.1 & 4.9.2 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 7
R Controlling Quick Reaction Checklists Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
F Yield reaction higher than 100% Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Al 2024-O aged to T42 Corrosion reaction after alkaline oakite160 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
A IVD Classification for HAV (Hepatitis A Virus) PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) Kit Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
T SPC Reaction Plans for Cpk of <1.33 during mass production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
Q Moving to a Prevention Based QMS from Reaction Based QMS Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 9
B Reaction to Out of Control SPC Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
C QM wants 1-2-3 blocks calibrated and on a schedule - Knee-jerk reaction to ISO13485? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
K Has anyone ever written a non conformance against their registrar? Their reaction? Registrars and Notified Bodies 16
R Documenting Reaction to Out Of Control Situations Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
K %GRR was between 10-30% so we have to have a "backup plan" per auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
R Reduced sampling plan for sterial products APQP and PPAP 0
S PMS (Premarket Submission) and PMCF Plan EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Clinical Evaluation Plan vs. PMCF Plan EU Medical Device Regulations 17
Q Corona virus Contingency plan - What have you done in your company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
S Should safety checks be included in the Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Requested Validation plan and reports Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T Defining sampling plan for different AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
adir88 MDR requirement: Risk Management Plan for "each device" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
B AS9100D Sampling Plan AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
D Supplied Product on Control Plan - Lot ranging in 40,000 pcs per product FMEA and Control Plans 3
M Can someone share a scrubbed version of Clinical Evaluation Plan (CEP) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S EU MDR Annex XIV - Clinical Evaluation Plan - What do these methods mean? EU Medical Device Regulations 12
M ISO 9001:2015 8.2.1 Contingency Plan required for small Business? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Is there any pre-defined Control plan format/template acc. VDA? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
G Do we need to QA cert? We only plan to supply reagents Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
C Machine Verification Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
G Control Plan - Include the processes for each sub component? APQP and PPAP 2
F Software development plan for SW update IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
M Informational Australia – TGA business plan 2019-20 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Requirement of Pharmacovigilance (Drug Safety) Risk Based Strategic and Tactical Audit Plan General Auditing Discussions 0
M Informational US FDA CDRH’s Health of Women Program Strategic Plan Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Medical Device Safety Action Plan: Protecting Patients, Promoting Public Health Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Nicole Desouza Sampling plan for a customer who wants AQL 1.0 (per ANSI Z1.4) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
O Software development plan : development methods IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
F 21 CFR Part 11 - Implicit requirements - Validation plan for a Software as a Service Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
M Informational Update – MDR and IVDR implementing measures rolling plan – 2 more NBs designated under the new regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R PMCF plan to justify that our product not require PMCF study EU Medical Device Regulations 2