SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Reaction to Out of Control SPC Charts

beaser3

Involved In Discussions
Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone can help answer a question regarding out of control SPC charts. We have multiple charts that have acceptable CPK levels and the histograms show a tight groupig around mean. There will be 1 or 2 points that fall outside of the control limits on the average chart making the chart "out of control". My question is should we really be reacting to these points or should we accept the process as stable? Is it fair "in a cusotmers eyes" not to react to every point? I've attached one chart as an example. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Craig H.

Hi, beaser!

Looking at your data, I have to ask if this is a process where you have, say, 3 cavities in a mold, and sample 1 is from cavity 1, sample 2 from cavity 2, etc.? A quick look at the data makes me think that you may have 3 different, distinct populations here. If so, you should be tracking the 3 independently.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone can help answer a question regarding out of control SPC charts. We have multiple charts that have acceptable CPK levels and the histograms show a tight groupig around mean. There will be 1 or 2 points that fall outside of the control limits on the average chart making the chart "out of control". My question is should we really be reacting to these points or should we accept the process as stable? Is it fair "in a cusotmers eyes" not to react to every point? I've attached one chart as an example. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
You can't "accept the process as stable" so long as statistical stability hasn't been achieved (nor should you be calculating Cpk). There are single measurements in the 1st, 8th and 15th subgroups that are causing trouble; you need to find out why. Perhaps it's measurement error. There is also a run of seven points below the mean at the beginning of the range chart ends with the anomalous eighth subgroup mentioned above; it appears that something happened between subgroups 7 and 8 to cause it. On the range chart, 16 of 25 points are below the mean, which is also odd.

If you're going to do statistical analysis, you have to listen to what the numbers are trying to tell you, and investigate. You have the luxury of having everything on the subject chart being within the tolerance range, but there's stuff going on that begs for investigation and correction. If you're just going to wave it off and move on, there's no reason to be doing SPC to begin with.

beaser3

Involved In Discussions
The 3 samples that you see are all from the same cavity. This is a 2 cavity mold and each cavity is set up seperately. The samples are pulled consecutively.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
you are correct to question the validity of out of control points when everything is in spec. However, the answer is not to ignore it. The answer in this case appears to be either measurement error or a poor choice for subgrouping. 3 sequential pieces off of a single cavity are likely to be 'exactly' the same. however as time passes (different presses, different setups, different raw material lots, utility fluctuations. etc.) you can get sample to sample variation that is normal adn in your case small enough to not matter to making bad parts.

I would recommend that you investigate the sources of variation as indicated by the chart. Then (most probably) if you find that these sources are naturally occuring change your subgoup scheme to encompass parts that aren't consecutive but are representative of these changes.

research rational subgrouping to help determine how best to do this.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello everyone,

If you aren't going to act upon the results of the SPC - why are you doing SPC in the first place?

As has already been pointed out, Cpk has no meaning if the SPC isn't stable and predictable. Best recommendation is to start investigating the signals you are seeing, before the customer starts demanding you fix things. Note - I'm not saying you have to do a full shut-down, but there should be some investigation and understanding of what is happening, and appropriate corrective actions taken.

I'd say it is unfair to the customer to not deal with out of control points.

R

ralphsulser

I used to see similar results due to shift change "machine molestation"
It didn't matter that the product had been running fine all day, when the 2nd shift operator came in he just had to make his own adjustments.
We had one case where we had to put a cover on the controls and padlock it shut.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
I used to see similar results due to shift change "machine molestation"
It didn't matter that the product had been running fine all day, when the 2nd shift operator came in he just had to make his own adjustments.
We had one case where we had to put a cover on the controls and padlock it shut.
I've also heard the story of a company who created a dial on the machine that was connected to nothing, just to allow people to "set their own adjustments". Apparently arguments broke out between shifts as to the best setting for the dial . . .

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
If you aren't going to act upon the results of the SPC - why are you doing SPC in the first place?

As has already been pointed out, Cpk has no meaning if the SPC isn't stable and predictable. Best recommendation is to start investigating the signals you are seeing, before the customer starts demanding you fix things. Note - I'm not saying you have to do a full shut-down, but there should be some investigation and understanding of what is happening, and appropriate corrective actions taken.

I'd say it is unfair to the customer to not deal with out of control points.
I agree with both you and Jim that out of control points should never be ignored. But looking at the histogram clearly indicates that this process isn't close to producing out of specs parts. So the temptation to ignore is great and understandable. The key is what to look for. teh molestation comment is a great one. and my experience with this type of process is that his subgrouping scheme is also a great candidate for the source of variation - not that his process is out of control.

Q

qualityboi

We have SPC reaction mechanisms built into our SPC system. If a data point goes out of control or out of spec an engineer or tech gets page automatically and that person reviews the data and attaches a comment to the data point, even if it just states "appears to be an outlyer, will monitor the next lot". It at least shows evidence that someone reviewed the data real time. During customer audits we get complimented on this procedure. Once in a great while it actually contributes in mitigating a larger issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Reaction Plan for SPC (Statistical Process Control) Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R Documenting Reaction to Out Of Control Situations Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
V References instead of Detail - Control Method and Reaction Plan FMEA and Control Plans 5
A Work Instructions - Process Control and a SOR (Set-up, Operate, and Reaction) Plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc Control Plan content and fields - Format and Reaction Plan - 4.9.1 & 4.9.2 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 7
T Reaction Plan To Drive suppliers to IATF 16949 registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R Controlling Quick Reaction Checklists Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
F Yield reaction higher than 100% Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I Reaction plan in case of power outage Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
M Al 2024-O aged to T42 Corrosion reaction after alkaline oakite160 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A IVD Classification for HAV (Hepatitis A Virus) PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) Kit Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
T SPC Reaction Plans for Cpk of <1.33 during mass production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
Q Moving to a Prevention Based QMS from Reaction Based QMS Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 9
Q Reaction Plan the same as CA or not? Can CA be PrePlanned? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
C QM wants 1-2-3 blocks calibrated and on a schedule - Knee-jerk reaction to ISO13485? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
K Has anyone ever written a non conformance against their registrar? Their reaction? Registrars and Notified Bodies 16
L Reaction Plan for unstable spc conditions QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
G How to implement H&S and Quality Control Requirements in Contract for Potential Supplier? Contract Review Process 6
D GAMP CAT 5 Change Control Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
D Use Error Risk Controls and Control Verification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
S Maintenence related action in Control plan FMEA and Control Plans 3
M ISO 13485 and document control for programs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Control Methods in Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 4
M Design Control - Management of Electronic CAD files Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
S TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) PIP 3:1 RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
S Use of Attributes Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
U Appraiser Out of Control Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L Looking for Control Plan and FMEA Stamping process FMEA and Control Plans 2
Z AS9100 Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Rework Dispositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
K ASME, ANSI, ASTM and similar specifications and their requirements for document control. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
Z Software for design control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Quality Control/Assurance in the Metal Industry Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
K Defining risk control measures IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 14
J Warehouse temperature and humidity control EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Jimmy123 IATF16949 Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
D Control Number for Class III and IV devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
J Document Control Metrics Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Controlling Expandable Forms in Paper-Based Document Control System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
N ISO 13485 7.3.9 Change control in medical device software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C UDI Questions on Control Units Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
A Quality Control Datasheets Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Control-self assessment Internal Auditing 5
GreatNate Master Control QMS software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
A Prototype control plan FMEA and Control Plans 2
J Records Control - Does each individual record need to be numbered? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
shimonv Document Control Procedure Header Content Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
W FMEA - Current control and occurrence rating FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Which department should prepare the control plan? could you show me a standard regarding to this matter. FMEA and Control Plans 17
G Control Plan & PFMEA Review Procedure? FMEA and Control Plans 8