SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Reactions to out of control X bar and R charts?

J

Josh Smith

I am curious as to how other organizations have written their procedures for reacting to out of control points up or below the control limits, 7 consecutive points running above or below the centerline, and 7 points trending up or down?

Our reaction plan on the control plan states that when the process has violated these rules. Supervisor will be notified by quality auditor, suspect product will be isolated and verified by other means (i.e 100% inspect), the process will be adjusted to bring back into a state of control, and process changes will be noted on the process change log sheet.

Does this sound reasonable? Or is it painting us into a corner for QS-9000?

Looking for input?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

auditor16949

The procedure is basically OK. The QS-9000 auditor may ask if you have identified and eliminated the special cause of variation acting on the process.

I

Indywine

Keep in mind that 7 points in a row usually reflects a change in the process. However, it could be associated with a learning curve after training. I wouldn't suggest blindly changing the process without trying to understand why there is a new trend.

Jim

L

lyman

Our procedures which were written by engineering and approved through manufacturing centered the responsibility for initial monitoring of SPC and any related trends with the floor operators. We tied our SPC as much as possible with our computerized manufacturing system so that if the chart showed an OOC point the equipment automatically was no longer available to production until such time that someone from Engineering reviewed the situation and released it. The procedures for trends directed operators to OCAPs which either dictated that a change to equipment settings be made (if appropriate)with the requisite documentation, or that the process be shut down and Engineering and Manufacturing Management be notified. The biggest challenge we faced with this allocation of responsibility was making sure that there was enough information in our computerized record so that Engineering could evaluate the situation to begin effective corrective or preventive action. The second biggest challenge - getting Engineering to document what they did!

B

Brian Dowsett

I think you also could make some reference to process capability.
For instance if you have a very good Cpk value, seven points in one direction definitely merits some attention but may not merit 100% inspection.
In a previous job, our reaction plan was in the form of a flow chart, with some decision boxes based on proven process capability.

regards

Brian

A
"We tied our SPC as much as possible with our computerized manufacturing system so that if the chart showed an OOC point the equipment automatically was no longer available to production until such time that someone from Engineering reviewed the situation and released it."

I am looking for ways to connect SPC to the manufacturing system. Looking after your reply, I was wondering if you could elaborate more on how to accomplish this system.

Abhinav.

:thanx:

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
Hmmm.....quality auditor, supervisor, engineering

Everyone involved but the operator? SPC was supposed to be a tool for the machine operator to control her process. Are they out of the loop?

Can't they just make adjustments and carry on? Assuming a decent capability, a trend may not be bad product but just a signal to perhaps change worn tooling.

The more the operator knows about SPC, the better.

At least thats the theory. We don't do any better here, but I hope some people get to run SPC right.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
agree with Caster on the capability part. you state that "suspect product will be isolated and verified by other means (i.e 100% inspect)". I hope that you mean only product suspected of being out of tolerance?
As Caster points out a capable process can go out of control and all of the parts can be perfectly in tolerance nd acceptable.

The other comments regarding operator involvement are also pertinant. Keeping in mind that are processes that the operator cannot troubleshoot. I've worked with both and sometimes you just dont' want the operator touching anything...

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
"We tied our SPC as much as possible with our computerized manufacturing system so that if the chart showed an OOC point the equipment automatically was no longer available to production until such time that someone from Engineering reviewed the situation and released it."

I am looking for ways to connect SPC to the manufacturing system. Looking after your reply, I was wondering if you could elaborate more on how to accomplish this system.

Abhinav.

:thanx:
You are welcome to make use of our trending procedures on the internet at http://www.hanford.gov/rl/?page=1144&parent=169. Just recently (December 2007) the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations published a 20 page extract of our procedures in one of their "best practices".

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Another question is whether an X-bar-R chart is even appropriate for the process. It seems to be rubber stamped on every process. I have seen automated SPC systems choke precision machining operations - because they were using the wrong statistics - and have unplugged them and replaced them with paper charts the correct statistics. Made everyone happy. Don't fall into the X-bar - R trap. It is not a universal tool. :cool:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Allergic reactions complaints for a protective apparel (impervious gown) Customer Complaints 4
Q How do you overcome knee jerk reactions from upper management on CA? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
R WinSPC - Operators not noting any reactions to Out of Specification conditions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) PIP 3:1 RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
S Use of Attributes Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
U Appraiser Out of Control Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L Looking for Control Plan and FMEA Stamping process FMEA and Control Plans 2
Z AS9100 Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Rework Dispositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
K ASME, ANSI, ASTM and similar specifications and their requirements for document control. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
Z Software for design control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Quality Control/Assurance in the Metal Industry Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
K Defining risk control measures IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 14
J Warehouse temperature and humidity control EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Jimmy123 IATF16949 Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
D Control Number for Class III and IV devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
J Document Control Metrics Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Controlling Expandable Forms in Paper-Based Document Control System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
N ISO 13485 7.3.9 Change control in medical device software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C UDI Questions on Control Units Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
A Quality Control Datasheets Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Control-self assessment Internal Auditing 5
GreatNate Master Control QMS software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
A Prototype control plan FMEA and Control Plans 2
J Records Control - Does each individual record need to be numbered? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
shimonv Document Control Procedure Header Content Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
W FMEA - Current control and occurrence rating FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Which department should prepare the control plan? could you show me a standard regarding to this matter. FMEA and Control Plans 17
G Control Plan & PFMEA Review Procedure? FMEA and Control Plans 8
N What are the software audit and control steps Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
A Fabric roll inspection - What type of Control Chart to use? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Monitoring and Control Instruments RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
M ISO14971:2019 - Verification of implementation and effectiveness of risk control ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
T Risks arising from control measures vs. ineffective control measures ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
J Need Change Control Yes/No Decision Tree Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
P IQ, OQ, PQ protocol, and report templates for Distributed Control Systems in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Systems. Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
R Risk control measures as per ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
T Linking Control Plans and PFMEA's FMEA and Control Plans 3
L How to add exemption or statement to control of document procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T PFMEA and Control Plans on legacy product FMEA and Control Plans 5
P IATF 16949 requirement - error-proofing in control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C 8.5.1.1 Control of Equipment, Tools, and Software Programs - Questions about the extent of control of NC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q Version/Revision Control of CAD files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
J Control Plan use on the manufacturing floor FMEA and Control Plans 4
E Change in control plan - Do I have to do sampling? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D All Dimensions listed on control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10