Reactions to out of control X bar and R charts?

J

Josh Smith

I am curious as to how other organizations have written their procedures for reacting to out of control points up or below the control limits, 7 consecutive points running above or below the centerline, and 7 points trending up or down?

Our reaction plan on the control plan states that when the process has violated these rules. Supervisor will be notified by quality auditor, suspect product will be isolated and verified by other means (i.e 100% inspect), the process will be adjusted to bring back into a state of control, and process changes will be noted on the process change log sheet.

Does this sound reasonable? Or is it painting us into a corner for QS-9000?

Looking for input?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

auditor16949

The procedure is basically OK. The QS-9000 auditor may ask if you have identified and eliminated the special cause of variation acting on the process.

I

Indywine

Keep in mind that 7 points in a row usually reflects a change in the process. However, it could be associated with a learning curve after training. I wouldn't suggest blindly changing the process without trying to understand why there is a new trend.

Jim

L

lyman

Our procedures which were written by engineering and approved through manufacturing centered the responsibility for initial monitoring of SPC and any related trends with the floor operators. We tied our SPC as much as possible with our computerized manufacturing system so that if the chart showed an OOC point the equipment automatically was no longer available to production until such time that someone from Engineering reviewed the situation and released it. The procedures for trends directed operators to OCAPs which either dictated that a change to equipment settings be made (if appropriate)with the requisite documentation, or that the process be shut down and Engineering and Manufacturing Management be notified. The biggest challenge we faced with this allocation of responsibility was making sure that there was enough information in our computerized record so that Engineering could evaluate the situation to begin effective corrective or preventive action. The second biggest challenge - getting Engineering to document what they did!

B

Brian Dowsett

I think you also could make some reference to process capability.
For instance if you have a very good Cpk value, seven points in one direction definitely merits some attention but may not merit 100% inspection.
In a previous job, our reaction plan was in the form of a flow chart, with some decision boxes based on proven process capability.

regards

Brian

A
"We tied our SPC as much as possible with our computerized manufacturing system so that if the chart showed an OOC point the equipment automatically was no longer available to production until such time that someone from Engineering reviewed the situation and released it."

I am looking for ways to connect SPC to the manufacturing system. Looking after your reply, I was wondering if you could elaborate more on how to accomplish this system.

Abhinav.

:thanx:

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
Hmmm.....quality auditor, supervisor, engineering

Everyone involved but the operator? SPC was supposed to be a tool for the machine operator to control her process. Are they out of the loop?

Can't they just make adjustments and carry on? Assuming a decent capability, a trend may not be bad product but just a signal to perhaps change worn tooling.

The more the operator knows about SPC, the better.

At least thats the theory. We don't do any better here, but I hope some people get to run SPC right.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
agree with Caster on the capability part. you state that "suspect product will be isolated and verified by other means (i.e 100% inspect)". I hope that you mean only product suspected of being out of tolerance?
As Caster points out a capable process can go out of control and all of the parts can be perfectly in tolerance nd acceptable.

The other comments regarding operator involvement are also pertinant. Keeping in mind that are processes that the operator cannot troubleshoot. I've worked with both and sometimes you just dont' want the operator touching anything...

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
"We tied our SPC as much as possible with our computerized manufacturing system so that if the chart showed an OOC point the equipment automatically was no longer available to production until such time that someone from Engineering reviewed the situation and released it."

I am looking for ways to connect SPC to the manufacturing system. Looking after your reply, I was wondering if you could elaborate more on how to accomplish this system.

Abhinav.

:thanx:
You are welcome to make use of our trending procedures on the internet at http://www.hanford.gov/rl/?page=1144&parent=169. Just recently (December 2007) the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations published a 20 page extract of our procedures in one of their "best practices".

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Another question is whether an X-bar-R chart is even appropriate for the process. It seems to be rubber stamped on every process. I have seen automated SPC systems choke precision machining operations - because they were using the wrong statistics - and have unplugged them and replaced them with paper charts the correct statistics. Made everyone happy. Don't fall into the X-bar - R trap. It is not a universal tool. :cool:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Allergic reactions complaints for a protective apparel (impervious gown) Customer Complaints 4
Q How do you overcome knee jerk reactions from upper management on CA? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
R WinSPC - Operators not noting any reactions to Out of Specification conditions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C Control Plan APQP and PPAP 4
D Control of Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M Document Control - Applying Suitable Identification to Obsolete Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Control of Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
S Control plan for "highly automated processes" FMEA and Control Plans 3
D Document Control Question involving DocuSign US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
R SCORING OF MILLER MARITAL LOCUS OF CONTROL SCALE Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
M Document Control ISO and FDA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M Design Control Procedure Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
D 8.5.1.2 Validation and control of special processes requirements for Heat Treat External Processor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R Humane Pest Control Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
B 8.5.1.1 Control Plan - question audit NC IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B QM Plan vs Control Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N AS 13004 Control Plan and AQL FMEA and Control Plans 1
R Does anyone use iQMS for their ISO based document control? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
qualprod Traceability with no rules to control labels? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B Doubt about the correct control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
G Change Control for Test Samples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Z Change color or shape of individual data point in control chart Using Minitab Software 6
Z Setting the Control limits on Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
C Elaborating a control chart with skewed data Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M Who is performing quality control? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Risk control through Information for safety ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
D Locking Control Limits and SPC Sample Sizes (AIAG/Automotive Requirements) Six Sigma 2
Q Control limits Six Sigma 6
J PFMEA/control plan question- PLEASE HELP ! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
T Control of Nonconforming Material AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
G Control of Approved Supplier List (ASL) When Employees Make Purchases Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
dpenbert AS9100 7.5.3 - Manual Document Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Y FMEA link to Control Plan frequency and sample size FMEA and Control Plans 19
D Control chart selection of multiple batches review Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M Supplier Control for Unique Product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
L Unique Supplier Control Issue AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Help in document control procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
PQ Systems Understanding Capability and Control Charts Series Using SQCpack Software 0
PQ Systems Control Charts & Capability Analysis 101 Using SQCpack Software 0
D AS9100 Rev D - Clause 8.7 Control of Non conforming outputs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Linking control chart with control plan Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
T IEC 62304 : Risk control for SaMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
N Change Control for processes & products Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
Q Change Control Numbering system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
S Operation of possible rework in control plan FMEA and Control Plans 8
K MHLW MO169 2021 Japan Ministerial Ordinance on Standards for Manufacturing Control and Quality Control for Medical Devices and In-Vitro Diagnostics Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
D Using electronic lab notebooks in the design control process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Process & Product Characteristic in Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 17
D How to calculate the A4 constants in Median/Range control charts? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Nihls Quality Control (stability) Chart for CMM's - How the control limits are to be calculated Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2