Definition Reasonable - Defining a Reasonable Amount of Time Close Out CPAR's

F

Fire Girl

Hello

I seem to not be understanding my registrar. They do not think that I close-out my CPAR's in a reasonable amount of time. What constitutes a reasonable amount of time? Obviously that would vary from CPAR to CPAR. Some would take longer than others, right? Just curious if anybody has had a similar experience.
:confused:
[This message has been edited by Fire Girl (edited 31 May 2001).]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Alf Gulford

This reminds me of an encounter with a registrar years ago. They didn't like the fact that some of our non-conforming product had been on the hold shelf for several months. We pointed out that there was no time limit in the standards and it was up to us to define what it should be. They agreed, but added that when they see this kind of situation they know that our system is not effective and they start to dig a lot deeper.

Nobody wants that. We cleaned up our act fast.

Alf

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Ask your registrar how long it will take to dig a hole in your backyard.

The registrar doesn't know the size of the hole, soil conditions, electrical wire hazards, gas lines, size of the shovel, etc. Without a proper diagnosis of the situation, to attach any fixed length of time is almost pointless. The exception in my mind is that if we don't fix the problem now, then doom will occurr (put your finger in the hole in the side of the boat now or it will sink)! Immediate responses like this also tend to treat masking symptoms and not root causes.

I think what the registrar is after here is to determine if your process is moving along reasonably or growing moss. Can you demonstrate that the time taken to close out CARs are by managements definition (inclusive of customer requirements) is reasonable? If you can, then the registrar is fishing without bait. If not, the registrar can press you on the effectiveness of your CA process and you will have to address this.

Best regards,

Kevin

D

David Mullins

Dawn,

Got written up with a minor NCR during a surveillance audit because the health and safety committee had one recurring agenda item, and the auditor expressed the learned opinion that corrective action should have been taken to resolve these issues more expeditiously.
Sometimes it just isn't worth the effort debating the point.

You could always whip your fire hose out!

------------------

D

Dan Larsen

Firegirl,

Generally, this is a finding when the auditor sees CPAR's that are open either for an extended period (judgment time...often more than thirty days) or past the due date (this is obvious) with no record of activity.

The key is often NO RECORD OF ACTIVITY. I'll be the first to admit that some CPAR's will take an extended length of time. Generally, I recommend designing the system such that a response is due in 30 days; if a longer period is required, I recommend writing the system such that a "progress report" demonstrating ongoing activity be submitted once a month. By demonstrating ongoing activity, the auditors I've dealt with readily accept the longer periods for an open CPAR.

Esentially, an open CPAR for an extended period is the cue that the corrective action system is being ignored and may become ineffective. The activity reports sell the system as a working system.

Hope this helps.

D

David Mullins

Originally posted by Marc Smith:

-> Got written up with a minor NCR during a surveillance
-> audit because the health and safety committee had one
-> recurring agenda item

To me the key word is recurring. Is the problem recurring or is it a recurring agenda item? Either way there is an obvious problem with the system and/or its performance.

YES. The recurring problem was the negotiation with an Under Seige Again government over their financial liability for bulldozing blue asbestos into an Earth wind break around a installation where 450 people worked.
Temporary controls were in place to control the hazard.

------------------

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Your system should require a 'response' within a specified time - say 10 business days. It should include a 'plan'. If you have a plan, and you are following it there is no question of what an appropriate time is - assuming the plan is 'appropriate'.

Auditors are ready to pounce when you either have no plan or you have one but are not following it.

Languishing corrective actions are common but not acceptable. That's what this is all about. It has nothing to do with the time it will take to implement the plan. Sometimes the plan will be to replace a piece of equipment "...in 1 year..." to which the auditor cannot complain *unless* the plan is obviously not being followed.

-> They didn't like the fact that some of our non-conforming
-> product had been on the hold shelf for several months.

I believe they probably had a legitimate 'gripe' but again, it depends upon how your system is set up and other mitigating factors (including your specific business, product and processes). In some companies a couple of months might not be a big deal - the system may be set up for a review of NC product every 6 months.

-> when they see this kind of situation they know that our
-> system is not effective and they start to dig a lot
-> deeper.

Unless you can explain why severa,. months is appropriate in context of your defined system.

-> Got written up with a minor NCR during a surveillance
-> audit because the health and safety committee had one
-> recurring agenda item

To me the key word is recurring. Is the problem recurring or is it a recurring agenda item? Either way there is an obvious problem with the system and/or its performance.

-> The key is often NO RECORD OF ACTIVITY.
-> By demonstrating ongoing activity, the auditors I've
-> dealt with readily accept the longer periods for an open
-> CPAR.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M What is a reasonable MDSAP cost? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S Scheduling a Crisis Management Audit? Reasonable Request? Internal Auditing 2
D What is a reasonable consulting fee for preparation of a complete traditional 510k? Consultants and Consulting 11
C What is a reasonable level of QA Editorial Control? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
5 Reasonable GRR result for a 0-1" micrometer with a total tolerance of .002" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
A CAPA - Reasonable Timeframes for Effectiveness Evaluation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
N What is a ?Reasonable? failure rate for an electronic device in the 1st year? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
S What is a reasonable Bioburden limit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
S Packaging Specification template and Reasonable dppm target for printed material? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
F Travel Expenses for Assessors - Registrar states we pay "reasonable travel expenses" Registrars and Notified Bodies 27
Hershal Cutoff - Discussion regarding a reasonable break-even point for calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Reasonable time for ISO 9001:2000 implementation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Icy Mountain Reasonable calibration? 50 foot measuring tape and other basic M&TE General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
M Six Sigma - Where to get a 'reasonable' certification? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
D What is a reasonable time frame for a system to be 'mature enough' to audit? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 11
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Defining sampling plan for different AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
M Defining frequency of measurement tools callibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
M Defining and Documenting Record Retention CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
G Defining performance metrics for DFMA implementation Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
S Defining a Quality System from scratch - Preferred system and documentation names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
C Defining Approvals Required for Design Control Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
khotchandrakant Defining Acceptance Quality Level, I need clarity on AQL 1.5, 2.5, 4.0 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
M Defining the lifetime of orthopedic implants joints Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
C AS9100 rev D 8.5.1 c 2 - Defining the Machine in-process frequency per ANSI/ASQ Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
V Defining Safety Precautions for Category 4,5 Molecules Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
E European Regulations defining the terms Repair and Refurbish EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T Defining Major vs. Minor Changes to Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
GStough Adequately Defining Which Suppliers to Audit and Frequency Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
E Quality Techucuan (Technician) in Electronics - Defining Postion Requirements Career and Occupation Discussions 4
moritz Defining a good Scope for Critical SOPs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
T Standards for defining audible alarms/warnings for OR instruments IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Defining Critical Vs. Non-Critical Suppliers/Service Providers (API Q1, 9th. Ed.) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
B IEC 60601-2-24 - Defining Storage Volume IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Defining Sub-Disciplines for Chemical Testing Laboratory Employee Proficiency Testing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Defining Nonconformances in a Service Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Defining Reliability and Confidence Levels Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
J Defining Martial Arts and Gymnastics Statistical Techniques Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V Defining the criteria for equipment to be qualified or requalified Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
R Need help on defining scope for Design Verification File for Class III IVD 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J Defining CCP (Critical Control Points) in a Rice Mill Plant Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 9
S Process Map and defining KPIs Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
5 Major Nonconformance for not "clearly" defining the "device lifetime" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E Defining the lifetime of an Implantable Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
B Defining Expected Oxygen Leakage for Safety Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
G Defining Post Mold Cure Ramp-Down Temperature Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K Audit Nonconformity on Defining 'Outsourced' Infrastructure Maintenance Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 21
G Points to consider while defining the Quality Policy AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
G Defining Quality Objectives for Product Realization and Design and Development AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5