Reasons for early termination of an audit?

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have a quick question - hopefully not too off topic.

What is the result of receiving a major during a surveillance audit? Is there, or was there ever a requriement to stop the audit if a major nonconformance were identified? I can't remember why I think I heard that somewhere before, maybe during my QS9000 days. Is it different for different standards?

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Cari Spears said:

What is the result of receiving a major during a surveillance audit? Is there, or was there ever a requriement to stop the audit if a major nonconformance were identified? Is it different for different standards?
Not off topic, but I think it's a good question that deserves a thread of its own, so I split the thread.

Your question: Not exactly a requirement, but it may be an option. Sometimes it serves no useful purpouse to continue.

ISO19011:2002, Clause 6.5.2:

...Where the available audit evidence indicates that the audit objectives are unattainable, the audit team leader should report the reasons to the audit client and the auditee to determine appropriate action. Such action may include reconfirmation or modification of the audit plan, changes to the audit objectives or audit scope, or termination of the audit.

Have you ever terminated an audit early, and if so, why?

/Claes

Last edited:

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Claes Gefvenberg said:
Your question: Not exactly a requirement, but it may be an option. Sometimes it serves no useful purpouse to continue.

Have you ever terminated an audit early, and if so, why?
Good idea Claes - I'd be very interested to hear some examples from our resident auditors.

C

CINDY

During our last TS - 16949 Pre-Audit the Auditor stopped the audit because we did not have the process maps the way his company wanted them. And, again I have talked to the auditor and they have changed their acceptable requirements and they have a list of acceptable procedures. From an auditee standpoint; how can an auditor dictate what your procedures should be provided you meet the requirement?

Cindy

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
CINDY said:
During our last TS - 16949 Pre-Audit the Auditor stopped the audit because we did not have the process maps the way his company wanted them...
Not being TS - I can't comment on the rest, but...

I don't see the sense in an auditor stopping a preassessment audit for any reason. :confused: I thought the pre-assessment was to identify gaps.

C

CINDY

Cari,

Because our Process Maps did not conform according to their specific guidelines, the audit process was stopped because that is what they are instructed to do. A very expensive waste of time.

Yes, I was under the impression that the pre-audit was a gap analysis. Now I see it as a controlling process of the Registrar "Do it my way or no way" in reference to procedure names and relationships.

Very disappointed,

Cindy

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
An auditee's view

CINDY said:
Cari,

Because our Process Maps did not conform according to their specific guidelines, the audit process was stopped because that is what they are instructed to do. A very expensive waste of time.

Yes, I was under the impression that the pre-audit was a gap analysis. Now I see it as a controlling process of the Registrar "Do it my way or no way" in reference to procedure names and relationships.

Very disappointed,

Cindy
From an auditee's POV (third party audit, only), I would rather halt the audit and the per diem fees when big gaping holes in the system are discovered. The auditor is not acting as a Consultant, but he is sure saying to the auditee:
"You aren't ready for this. You need to do some more review of your processes before calling us in."
On the other hand, maybe the conversation between auditor and auditee should be:
"This system is NOT ready for an audit. You really need a Gap Analysis at this point, probably with help from a second party expert."

I guess, like the old vaudeville line, "You had to be there!"

If this is an internal audit, I think you just have to plow through and mark them all up!
The BS about judgment calls by auditors who say, "My way or the highway." just means I did not really go through adequate Contract Review before hiring them. If they are Customer auditors, that's grist for an entirely new thread.

C

CINDY

Wes,

Our audit was stopped becuase we did not have so called MOP's, COP's, and SOP's. Our system has procedures for managment, customer specific and standard operating. We also have a map that shows the relationships.

See our attached process interaction. We have three auditors to satisfy. Each one likes things different.

Cindy

Attachments

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
CINDY said:
Wes,

Our audit was stopped becuase we did not have so called MOP's, COP's, and SOP's. Our system has procedures for managment, customer specific and standard operating. We also have a map that shows the relationships.

See our attached process interaction. We have three auditors to satisfy. Each one likes things different.

Cindy
So, it's decision time. Do you want to fight three auditors or do you want to go along to get along?

The "fight" is just an extension of "contract review" - You determine whether you are on the same wavelength with the auditor. Long before the Anderson/Enron accounting scandal, public companies frequently changed CPA/auditors because of philosophical differences (not to facilitate a fraud.) There was never any shakeup in the market value of the stock because of the change. (Sometimes there would be whispers over drinks about the auditor quitting because some exec at the audit target was too crude to the young female CPA's sent by the auditor.)

If you decide to go along, it may be as simple as adding alternate titles and/or definitions to the procedures you already have. That's something you determine in negotiation with the various auditors.

Cari Spears said:

What is the result of receiving a major during a surveillance audit? Is there, or was there ever a requriement to stop the audit if a major nonconformance were identified? I can't remember why I think I heard that somewhere before, maybe during my QS9000 days. Is it different for different standards?
It's not addressed in the certification scheme. So i will assume that is going to be up to your CB. Find this out before you contract a CB. Could be an expensive venture.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Reasons to submit a new PPAP or notify the customer APQP and PPAP 3
T Reasons to change certification body and typical costs Registrars and Notified Bodies 16
L Valid reasons to omit an "ear-tag" type label on a cable? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M Common Reasons for Out Of Tolerance condition of DC Calibrator or any reference std General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Reasons for Approval Signatures for Records 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 16
V Monitoring Specific Reasons and Categories of Yield Loss of Online Rejects ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P 25 Reasons why I owe my mother Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
K Reasons for Issuing Uncontrolled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
Sidney Vianna Reasons for the Decline of ISO 9001 Registrations in North America (circa 2010) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 142
S Root Cause Analysis Taxonomy - Categorising the reasons for non-conformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Top Three Reasons why TPM (Total Productive Maintenance) Initiatives Fail Manufacturing and Related Processes 39
P Seeking sample Resignation Letter - Health and Relocation reasons Career and Occupation Discussions 3
E What are the main reasons to update data in MDS Sheet? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
M Practical Reasons Behind The ISO 13485/QSR Regulations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
T Reasons for retaining Obsolete Documents and Retention Time Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
Q Dock Audit - Reasons to do dimensional checks during product dock audit Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
Wes Bucey More reasons to think before clicking on links After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12
J Reasons for Implementing ISO 9001 - Findings from a Survey of 326 Businesses The Reading Room 0
N Non UKAS certification bodies - reasons for their avoidance required... Registrars and Notified Bodies 41
Q Top 10 reasons why ASQ is not ISO 9001 registered ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 7
K Compelling reasons for a certifying agency to withdraw a ISO certificate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Reasons to Continue QS-9000 in a Company? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
P IEC 62304:2006 A1:2015 - Software from the early 1990s IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
M Informational FDA Panel: Too early to pull textured breast implants over cancer risk, need more data Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion World wide energy demand will peak in the early 2030's Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 0
Q Is EN 55011:2009+A1:2010 is expiring in early 2019? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
T Early Research & Development - ISO 13485:2003 requirements Clarification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 34
Marc Air Pollution in the Early 21st Century Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
S Final FDA Guidance on IDEs for Early Feasibility Clinical Studies - 2013 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
B Best Attribute Data Sampling Plan - Early Production Containment Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
K Tips 'n Tricks for getting a Job in the early 21st Century Career and Occupation Discussions 1
Q Reduced Device License Fee was rejected for being sent in too early Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
J EDMS for Very Early Drug Development (Research/Drug Discovery) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
G ISO/DIS 14045 - Anyone have an early draft copy? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
V Evidence for Preventive Action & Early Warning Vigilance procedure Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 4
J Today it's 'Leave The Office Early' Day Career and Occupation Discussions 2
P Early versus Late delivery from suppliers - what's the acceptable ratio? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
Stijloor ASQ Membership Renewal Request Comes Early - Will you renew?? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 35
M Risk Management - AS9100 revision C - Early advice please! AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
A Juran is dead - Why the thread is closed so early? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 2
Jim Wynne Never believe early news reports Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Marc When Flying, How early do you get to the airport? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 25
Q Early Spring Cleaning - Finding Old Documents and Specifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Retiring Early or Never? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 65
T "Creative" ways to handle Early Production Containment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
Marc GM in early talks to buy Chrysler World News 6
C Graph Choice For Monitoring DOA's (Dead On Arrival) and ELF's (Early Life Failures) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
T AS9003 becoming obsolete as early as 2008??? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D An Early Brush with Design of Experiments Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
M Aspect Indentification? Early stages of ISO 14001 implementation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4