Reasons for the Decline of ISO 9001 Registrations Worldwide and ISO Strategy 2030 - Why can't they learn?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
According to the abbreviated findings from the 2009 ISO Survey, we had ANOTHER decline in the number of ISO 9001 registrations (certificates) from 2008 to 2009. Around 12%.

Comparing to Europe and Asia, the number of certifications in North America are very small. While there is a degree of uncertainty on the accuracy of the numbers available in the Survey, can we reach any conclusion about the reasons for the (apparent) decline in ISO 9001 growth in North America? With a dwindling automotive supplier base, the number of certified TS 16949 suppliers in North America also shrank in 2009.

On the AS9100 front (not included in the ISO Survey, since it is not an ISO Std.), according to OASIS, North America leads the pack in number of AS certificates.

I would be interested in knowing people's opinion on the reasons for the lack of ISO 9001 certification growth in North America. Lack of confidence? Credibility? Perceived costs? Added (and lack thereof) value?

I believe the IAAR will be doing a similar survey and campaign, soon.

Brizilla

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: What are the reasons for the decline of ISO 9001 registrations in North America?

Interesting question Sidney.

My first guess of the many reasons that will be given is saturation. The % of business with ISO certification is so much higher than 10 and 20 years ago that there are less companies that need to certify.

Cost will also be a factor. I think the majority of businesses get certified to satisfy their customer base as opposed to perceived benefits of a structured QMS.

I do feel the benefits are real though. Just my :2cents:.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: What are the reasons for the decline of ISO 9001 registrations in North America?

Probably ISO 9001 certification is perceived as a burden for an organization, especially a small-medium organization, where the costs are a factor .
Let's remember that there are also the costs associated to the maintenance.
I think that organizations see certification only as burueacracy and not a leverage for continuous improvement.
Top management usually does not trust in ISO certification and think that it is a thing that belongs to Quality only.
Another cause of the decreasing of ISO certification is due to the fact the last downturn carried many companies to the bankruptcy. So certificates expired.
Many company make some merge and unify certificates too.
I think that in next future there will be an increasing in ISO 14001 , OHAS 18001 certification as well as all certification regarding the social responsibility of a company SA 8000.
see you:bigwave:

T

tomvehoski

Take a drive through any Michigan industrial park and you will understand from the number of vacant properties. The economy drove many manufacturing companies out of business. The auto industry's drive to reduce suppliers, and their economic woes, also contributed. Throw in continued outsourcing overseas too.

http://www.bankruptcy-statistics.co...s-2009-business-bankruptcy-filings-up-38.html

M

mguilbert

I think the reduction in certs also causes CB auditors to justify their existence by issuing nonconformances that do not add much value. See Interesting Nonconformance During Upgrade Audit to ISO 9001:2008

I recently spoken with some colleagues who were ISO 14001 certified and they stated their company is no longer going to be certified (costs vs value added). They believe now that they have the system in place, as long as they follow guidelines they will be fine and do not need to certify multiple sites. I think they are going to use the terminology "modeled after" ISO 14001.

Also as a member of a local ISO auditing group. We have seen our active membership declned. I believe this is due to company finances and future outlook. On the bright er side, two of our once laid off members have received jobs with companies that are seeking ISO 9001 Certification.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

George Weiss

Is this an early marker to the end of copyrighted standards, or just the standards enforcement tactics? A rebellion of sorts, to the never ending list of subject to this and that standard. It could be a moment to ponder the idea of the ISO OSM,(other standard makers). The ISO, EN, IEC, AS and etc brands. The standards sources might take off like the internet ".com" multiplied. There was early adherence to some standards when the adopting organizations only declared compliance. Then came the certification and accreditation bodies.
I guess it can't be suggested that ISO9001 is a fad?

D

dv8shane

I think the economy is the most likely cause, for some the cost out weights the risk. Also maybe now companies are choosing industry specific standards more as they have developed to fill the gaps of ISO 9001. Although with AS9100 you get ISO 9001 when your QMS is registered by an accredited source. Look at the great increases in the ISO 22000, and 27001, standards from the survey. Possibly some of those companies were ISO 9001 and have migrated to another standard more suitable to their business model

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

Is the trend offset by a rise in TS 16949?

AndyN

Moved On

Do we know where the data are from? Since there's no one source of all organizations certified and you can almost guarantee that not every certified organization replied to any survey, how can we tell the numbers are accurate or representative? There are many factors at play which can affect the numbers of certs, even if you don't consider economics, market forces etc, per se...

Top Bottom