Receiving Damaged Paint

RCasey88

Quality Assurance Representative
Hello Again Cove. I could not find anything on this matter. My superiors are directing me to reach out to our supplier to get a RMA and a replacement for a can of paint that was clearly damaged prior to shipment and I am losing this battle. Is there actual harm done to the quality or properties of the paint with a can damaged at this level or can I just move on from this and take the product anyway.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

darkopsghost

Involved In Discussions
Do you have all the Trace on it that you need, i.e. Batch/ Lot Numbers, Mfg Date or is it on the Material Certs? I'm sure you have some from of RICS Control including Shelf Life Control to get back to the appropriate Certs right?. What would prevent you from purchasing an New Clean Can and transferring the contents to it as long as it is identified as to the contents and the path back to Trace.

On the other hand, if this becomes systemic with that supplier you may be warranted by issuing a SCAR or at least putting that supplier on Probation. Either way, I assume the Supplier has been notified correct?

RCasey88

Everything I should have by the the time the product arrives to me ive got. I agree with putting a new label on a new can with identical pertaining information and move on about our buis, however purchasing and other managment is pushing me to drive the supplier to replace completely at their expense considering 1 unti costs over $200. I get both sides but if there was legit evidence as to why anyone shouldnt use a can of paint in this condition I wanted to share with them insdtead of just asking them to replace because i was told to do so... The supplier even suggested sending an empty can with said information..

Zero_yield

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
Note: I am not an aerospace person.
  • What's the purpose of the paint? Just to make a wall look prettier, or is it serving a serious purpose on the finished product?
  • Do you have any evidence of whether the can was punctured or the seal was damaged in some way? I'd be at least a little worried about air and/or moisture reacting with the paint (if the paint serves some functional purpose).
  • Do you perform any acceptance testing on the paint to make sure it conforms to some standard?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
If the can is not punctured there really shouldn't be any problems....unless there's an inner liner that was torn causing the can to react with the paint. That would be my guess for worst case. Otherwise I'd send a complaint and leave it at that.

If it becomes a repeat issue I would certainly be issuing a SCAR to them. Especially if the carton is undamaged... that means they willfully packed a seriously dented can.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Speaking from past history in the paint industry, I would not accept a container in that condition. Your supplier (IMHO) should be replacing the container IF (and this is key) there is evidence to support that they shipped it in this condition, and that it didn't happen while the product was in your care and control.
As was already mentioned, there is a potential for damage to any inner liner or coating which could contaminate the paint. There is also a possibility of a leaking seal, either now or in the future (once the container is opened). And last, there is now a health and safety hazard; the integrity of the container is questionable; even if the paint inside is 'fine', if you try to reseal it, will it seal properly or will it leak (this is the H&S hazard I alluded to).

RCasey88

The box is in good shape see attached. If I seen it prior to recieving i would not expect a can damaged to that nature to be inside. I have reached back out to the supplier asking for a replacment can and requested a PFU so as to prevent future concerns. Thank you everyone.

Zero_yield

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
And last, there is now a health and safety hazard; the integrity of the container is questionable; even if the paint inside is 'fine', if you try to reseal it, will it seal properly or will it leak (this is the H&S hazard I alluded to).
I hadn't even thought about the health hazard - that's a good point. Flammable vapor isn't something to mess around with.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
The box is in good shape see attached. If I seen it prior to recieving i would not expect a can damaged to that nature to be inside. I have reached back out to the supplier asking for a replacment can and requested a PFU so as to prevent future concerns. Thank you everyone.
It would appear that your internal processes are consistent with reasonable practices (the container does not appear to be damaged, you would not anticipate the can inside to be damaged) and definitely points back to the supplier.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Proper gage to use for receiving inspection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
M WI vs SOP - Shipping/Receiving Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Skooma Receiving Inspection - Boss trying to save money AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J Requirements for Layered Process Audits including Maintenance, Shipping, Receiving IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
I Receiving Inspection Requirement in IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Incoming (Receiving) Inspection - General form for incoming part inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
D Minor non-conformance for not receiving a CofC from a heat treater Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
V Receiving Inspection AQL - Am I allowed to just pick a AQL? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
M Controls for Suppliers of Translation Services - Receiving and Verification Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
C Receiving Gage Design Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J Receiving Inspection for Metal Strips & Wires Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
T Example Training Checklist for Receiving Inspector Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
L Objectives for Receiving Inspection (Resources) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Receiving Goods Inwards - Identification Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
J Hardware Receiving Inspection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
N Receiving Inspection - Who should receive raw material Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
J ISO 17025 testing laboratory - Receiving lab supplies - What really needs a C of A? ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
kedarg6500 Use of safety glasses at receiving inspection Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 7
L How do you specify your receiving inspection parameters? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
R Warehouse and shipping/receiving activities need to be part of our scope? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
A Receiving paper from the customer and never knowing when it will arrive Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
D Receiving Inspection Training Materials Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
S So Annoyed with Receiving Inspection! Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
A MIL STD 105 D or ISO 2859-2? Receiving Metal Sheets Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
C ISO13485 Incoming Receiving Parts Verification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
R Minimum Essential Receiving Inspection (M.E.R.I.) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M Definition Receiving Inspection of Parts, finished products, service parts etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
kedarg6500 Receiving Inspection Documentation Best Practices Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
L Must we do Receiving Inspection for everything? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
M Does 21 CFR 820.80 (b) require a Supplier to have Receiving Inspection? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
M Calculating Adequate Receiving Inspection Sample Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
L How to define R & D Receiving (Incoming) Inspection Plan Design and Development of Products and Processes 18
M Receiving Inspection of Customer Owner Property IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Partial Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Delivery Inspection. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
alonFAI Establishing a Receiving Inspection Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R Where are shipping & receiving processes covered under TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
F Receiving a new Gage Block Set with an old Certificate Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
S Ensuring Print Dimensions are in Control Plans, WI's and Receiving Inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S How to calculate Supplier PPM at Receiving Inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Supplier Management and Receiving Inspection Improvement Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 20
D Centralizing the Receiving and Storage of Electronic Customer Data Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q Receiving Inspection - Quantity Received different from Pack List & C of C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
D Can we Advertise ISO/TS 16949:2009 Certification before receiving the Certificate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
JoCam Moisture Control - Receiving Moisture Sensitive Electronic Components AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
C Receiving Raw Materials, Inspection, Release Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
G Reduced Receiving Inspection - Now What Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
M Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Procedure - Please Review Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
P Random Sampling at Receiving Inspection: A Practical Implementation needed Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
M How to Eliminate Receiving Inspection Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10