Receiving Inspection - Who should receive raw material

Dear Sir,

I need a real clarification for which i am confused.

Who will receive the incomming material?wether stores or inwardquality engineer?

I feel stores should receive the material and stores hadto see the documents and make the GRN and then only he has to offer for inspection.

Please help me to clarify my doubt since my management is pressurising me to receive the material and also please post me some reference documents regarding the request.

Awaiting for your kind help and reply.

Regards,
Srikanth

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
It totally depends upon your company and how your internal processes are set up. Typically you will find one or more people whose responsibility is to "receive" materials, sub-assemblies, and/or other items, sometimes with an engineer, but typically not. Receiving typically does any necessary inspection.

From there it is passed on to "stores" if it is accepted. However, in some companies both are part of the same department.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Like Marc said -- it is up to you, the standard does not specify. At our company, receiving inspection receives, tests, and reviews documentation for the raw material and then passes it to stores/inventory. A QE only gets involved if there is a problem.

Russ

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Receiving Inspection

How many of you Quality Managers would depend on a suppliers first piece inspection in place of your own receiving inspection for first runs of parts from suppliers?

T

Tyler C

Like everyone has stated, it depends on you company.

For my example, my company is in manufacturing. Most of the time, we order in parts/materials and put them into the end product. Once in a while, we order in a part and ship it to the customer as is.

This is how I see this process working: if we order in the part and it will have work done to it, it can be "inspected" by the receiver. Basically this person is just making sure it actually is what we ordered. Then it will be processed and inspected again at final inspection, by a certified inspector.

If we aren't going to process the part and ship as is to the customer, it is inspected by a certified inspector upon arrival.

normzone

[n.srikanth42], what is driving management to ask for you to do receiving?

Has the incoming materials staff missed catching some problems?

If the receiving process is adequately structured and the persons performing that process trained, then anybody could do it. If it is not, then that is the true problem.

Michael_M

At my company, for raw stock (bars of aluminum, steel, etc) the process is:

1. Materials unloads the material
2. Materials logs, within our ERP system, the receiving of the product; assigning and tagging the material with a system generated number.
3. Paperwork/certifications move to Quality to review and test as required.
4. Quality scans the documents and logs the certifications for retrieval.

This is just one process, and it currently works for us. The process may change at a later date, in which case, we just have to follow that process. As a reminder, don't get locked into the thought that your processes cannot improve or even completely change as your company changes.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Most of our incoming was dock to stock. Receiving department verified amounts, correct material per PO and did a general walk around inspection to check for damage. There were a few items that we took measurements on and in instances where the supplier was on probation, then it would be sent to an inspection area and had to be inspected within 24 working hours before it was released for use.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
At my current job, and my last job, the saw operator received and verified the raw material - steel and aluminum. In both cases, there is a receiving department that receives everything else.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Receiving Inspection - One drum leaks - Should entire lot be rejected? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
T Should the pFMEA start with Receiving Inspection? FMEA and Control Plans 18
E Should we do Incoming Inspection (Receiving Inspection)? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Skooma Receiving Inspection - Boss trying to save money AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
I Receiving Inspection Requirement in IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Incoming (Receiving) Inspection - General form for incoming part inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
V Receiving Inspection AQL - Am I allowed to just pick a AQL? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
J Receiving Inspection for Metal Strips & Wires Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Objectives for Receiving Inspection (Resources) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Hardware Receiving Inspection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
kedarg6500 Use of safety glasses at receiving inspection Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 7
L How do you specify your receiving inspection parameters? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
D Receiving Inspection Training Materials Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
S So Annoyed with Receiving Inspection! Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
R Minimum Essential Receiving Inspection (M.E.R.I.) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M Definition Receiving Inspection of Parts, finished products, service parts etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
kedarg6500 Receiving Inspection Documentation Best Practices Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
L Must we do Receiving Inspection for everything? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
M Does 21 CFR 820.80 (b) require a Supplier to have Receiving Inspection? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
M Calculating Adequate Receiving Inspection Sample Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
L How to define R & D Receiving (Incoming) Inspection Plan Design and Development of Products and Processes 18
M Receiving Inspection of Customer Owner Property IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Partial Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Delivery Inspection. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
alonFAI Establishing a Receiving Inspection Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Ensuring Print Dimensions are in Control Plans, WI's and Receiving Inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S How to calculate Supplier PPM at Receiving Inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Supplier Management and Receiving Inspection Improvement Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 20
Q Receiving Inspection - Quantity Received different from Pack List & C of C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
C Receiving Raw Materials, Inspection, Release Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
G Reduced Receiving Inspection - Now What Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
M Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Procedure - Please Review Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
P Random Sampling at Receiving Inspection: A Practical Implementation needed Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
M How to Eliminate Receiving Inspection Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
V Measurement Reports for Receiving Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
K Incoming (Receiving) Inspection for Commodity Items used in Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Inspection Forms - Receiving Inspection on Buses that will get Refurbished Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C Medical Device On The Floor Receiving (Incoming) Quality Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
I Medical Device Receiving Inspection AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
R Receiving inspection and Internal Audit schedule ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
T How do I Reduce Frequency of Receiving Inspection Testing for Quality Control Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
P How you do Receiving Inspection for Chemicals? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
E Measuring Receiving Inspection Process Effectiveness AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
T Is 'Supplier Part Batch' a Root Cause - No Receiving Inspection Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
U What Legal Documentation is required for Receiving Inspection of Parts Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
S How to maintain 0 Rejections for Quality Receiving Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
T Is Material Certification Required for Incoming Material (Receiving) Inspection? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
N How to apply Incoming (Receiving) Inspection to Customer Supplied Material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
L Critical Characteristics in Incoming (Receiving) Inspection - Inspection Levels Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
P Implement FAI process in my Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6