receiving materials

A

Andrews

Procedure: All materials are received by STORES dept. ,who forward the delivery challan to Purchase dept..The purchase dept. verifies the delivery challan for correctness and sends it back to STORES. The stores then prepare the Goods Receipt Note (GIN) and forwards the Note and the material to QA dept.The QA dept. in turn checks the received material against the applicable Quality Plan / Control Plan.

Case:
Purchase dept. has raised an order for an item B against drawing number ABC issue A. This item has been received by STORES and the procedure(not documented) given above is followed.But during internal audit you find that the GIN says item B but does not give the drawing number and the issue number.
In such a situation , on what ISO9001 clause will you raise the non-conformity.

Clause 7.4.3 in ISO9001:2000 is interesting:The organization shall establish and implement the inspection or other activities necessary for ensuring that purchased product meets specified purchase requirements.

Has the clause been met here?

There is another thing: I get the feeling that the actual inspection enters the scene rather late? Before it has taken place you still don’t really know what you have received.

/Claes

M

M Greenaway

Andrews

What purpose does this information on the GIN serve ?

Has the absence of this information had a detrimental effect on quality ? If so what ?

If you cannot answer these questions then I suggest you move on in your audit, or maybe just raise the observation that the GIN appeared incomplete.

A

Andrews

cause confusion

My concern is that the inspection authority and the ordering dept. are different which will result in lot of confusion.

My point is that the inspection authority should have complete details of the item he checks i.e the item name , the drawing no. to which it is done , its issue no. etc.

Am I wrong ?

I feel it is wrong but am not able to get the right clause on which to raise this non-conformity

M

M Greenaway

Andrews

Does your inspection guy inspect to a drawing anyway ?

How does he currently know what drawing at what revision to get ?

Re: cause confusion

Andrews said:
---X---
My point is that the inspection authority should have complete details of the item he checks i.e the item name , the drawing no. to which it is done , its issue no. etc.

Am I wrong ?
---X---

No, you are most definitely right, but if the GID from STORES lacked information about drawing no and issue, I do hope that information is available to the inspection people anyway? If so, does it matter if the GID lacks this information? If not, I think you have a major problem.

Anyway, what really matters must be this:

Someone must be responsible for making certain that the correct drawing is available in inspection. Is it available?
Is the inspection carried out acc to the correct drawing issue or not?

I almost forgot: You said that this procedure is not documented? It would seem like a good idea to do that.

/Claes

Last edited:
Top Bottom