Reclassification of a Medical Device by Health Canada

Sheemah

Starting to get Involved
Hi Everyone,

What could be the possible ramifications if Health Canada chooses to reclassify your device from Class-I to Class-II?
We already have an Quality Management system in place and are ISO 13485 certified.

It would be great if someone has experience with reclassification of devices in Health Canada.

Thanks for help in advance.

Sheemah:D

Sheemah

Starting to get Involved
Re: Reclassification of Device by Health Canada

Hi Sidney,

Thank for the reply, but the reclassification discussed in this thread is inregards to FDA and not Health Canada.
I am not able to find any thing about what could be the possible outcome ,if Health Canada chooses to reclassify your device from Class-I to Class-II & what could be the possible ramifications of that?

Thanks,
Sheemah

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
If Health Canada reclassified the medical device from class I to class II, the requirement for getting a class II license applies. This means that you have to get your quality system certified to ISO 13485:2003 + CMDCAS requirements.

mihzago

Trusted Information Resource
I just went through that exact process.
If you already have the ISO 13485 cert (make sure you have the CMDCAS designation, or MDSAP), then you should only have to submit a New Class 2 Medical Device Application.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Steam sterilizer medical device reclassification EU Medical Device Regulations 6
K Class III Medical Device Reclassification Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
D FDA Reclassification of Medical Devices - Class III device down to Class II 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
dgrainger Informational Draft for comment - "reclassification of products without an intended medical purpose" EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Medical Device News TGA Consultation: Potential reclassification of active medical devices for diagnosis and patient therapy Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L Australian TGA Device Reclassification Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M FDA News USFDA – Reclassification of Electroconvulsive Therapy Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B Reclassification of Spinal Implants via Rule 8 (EU 2017/745) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Ronen E Proposed reclassification of Ultraviolet (UV) Lamps intended to tan the skin Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S Federal Register - Software Reclassification (MDDS) - Final Decision by FDA yet? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
A Combination Product - Legacy Drugs and Reclassification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J 2005/50/EEC Reclassification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
adztesla Sterile packaging validation for medical device - ASTMD4332 and ISTA2A ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P On-going stability study requirement for medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
K Medical devices for laymen and necesssary reprocessing Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
N Regulations for Medical Device in Jamaica Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Classification of device according to China medical device regulations China Medical Device Regulations 4
M Looking for kindly help... If there is any prohibits from contract manufacturing in US? About SR medical devices US Medical Device Regulations 0
adztesla Design change and Process change Class 3 medical device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
K New set of medical devices - samples EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Importing a custom component for our medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
FRA 2 FDA Reusable Vs Single Use Medical Devices in EU Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
adztesla Adding new supplier/ Medical device design change ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
adztesla Medical device Drawing related change justification Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
O Medical Device With 2 Power Cords IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
Stoic Which medical device companies are using Recombinant Factor C (rFC) instead of Limulus Amebocyte Lysate (LAL) for endotoxin testing? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 0
I Commercializing a non medical device software Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 10
I Non-medical device software Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
C California Prop 65 for medical device labels US Medical Device Regulations 3
adztesla GDP rules- redline drawings in medical device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
R Instructions for Use supplied with Medical Device Components Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
M Deburring plastic medical device Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
W Training software medical device Medical Device Related Standards 0
S Modification of medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
I Commercialize a non-medical product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
P Do Barcode scanners need validation in Medical device manufacturing? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
F The use of 4G/Wi-Fi dongles in medical devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
B FDA Requirements for medical device to be used for training purposes only US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
L Verification of wireless QoS and coexistence during FDA certification of medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
F Adding wireless communication to existing medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
J Medical device sizes and system and procedure packs EU Medical Device Regulations 0
U Does Medical Device training video falls under labeling requirement ? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
dgrainger Informational Consultation: Medical devices – single identifier for similar highly individualised devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
dgrainger Informational MHRA Guidance: Crafting an intended purpose in the context of Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) UK Medical Device Regulations 0
J Is ISO 13485 certification necessary for Class I (non-sterile) medical devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
L Directive 2012/19/EU for medical software EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Sample size considerations in medical process qualification Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
B Medical device disposables - Stored in a controlled environment for 4 months - Effects on Sterilization Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
W MOOPs in Medical Device Charger IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
adztesla Specification (Significant digits) - Measurement (Medical device) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3