• modify

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • erase

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Javier_Ruisoto

Starting to get Involved
Good morning.

I want to ask for your opinion on a situation in my last task auditing process in a supplier.

It´s happen that the box with the product have differents legends about how to pile, protect from the rain and a temperature for stocking.
Thats why they dont have any control or monitoring of the temperature in their own product deposit.

I notice this and mark it as a not conformity, because they have a value limit and they dont control it.
The supplier says that this temperature its a recommended value, so its not obbligated.

They should monitor the temperature?Or they should modify the legend so its say its a recomended value?
Or directly erase that legend?

Thank you for your time.
Javier.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Not sure if there's sufficient information available to answer the question. I'm coming from the medical device world and we would normally flow down requirements explicitly for such situations (Quality Agreement or similar). The temperature range is established to ensure the product is protected during storage (or transport or whatever). An excursion from that range could cause the product to not meet specification and so it's necessary to monitor. Is your product similar? If the temperature goes outside the range indicated, will the product (potentially) no longer meet spec? If it wouldn't, could the out-of-spec product be delivered to a customer and become a risk (e.g., an airbag goes off unexpectedly or brakes fail)?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Good morning.

I want to ask for your opinion on a situation in my last task auditing process in a supplier.

It´s happen that the box with the product have differents legends about how to pile, protect from the rain and a temperature for stocking.
Thats why they dont have any control or monitoring of the temperature in their own product deposit.

I notice this and mark it as a not conformity, because they have a value limit and they dont control it.
The supplier says that this temperature its a recommended value, so its not obbligated.

They should monitor the temperature?Or they should modify the legend so its say its a recomended value?
Or directly erase that legend?

Thank you for your time.
Javier.
Does the observation apply to your company's product?

Javier_Ruisoto

Starting to get Involved
Not sure if there's sufficient information available to answer the question. I'm coming from the medical device world and we would normally flow down requirements explicitly for such situations (Quality Agreement or similar). The temperature range is established to ensure the product is protected during storage (or transport or whatever). An excursion from that range could cause the product to not meet specification and so it's necessary to monitor. Is your product similar? If the temperature goes outside the range indicated, will the product (potentially) no longer meet spec? If it wouldn't, could the out-of-spec product be delivered to a customer and become a risk (e.g., an airbag goes off unexpectedly or brakes fail)?
Yodon, Thanks for your swift reply.

The product it's a synthetic rubber, a viscoelastic material, so technically under high temperature the product piece it will deform. This will affect the handling of the material (not specificated) and potentially his propierties (this is in the spec but fails to be checked by the client).

Javier_Ruisoto

Starting to get Involved
Does the observation apply to your company's product?
Jim, thank you for your reply.

Not necessarily, since the form of the product provided (raw material for the process of the client) its not in the spec, its easy to say its gonna affect the hand work. But for the final product its hard.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
If the 'high temperature' point where it will be affected is the same as the upper temperature range on the box (labeling?) and there's a chance it could occur under expected conditions then, at least, action is warranted.

Sounds like the specifications and expectations weren't properly communicated to the supplier. They apparently assumed that was just a recommended range and not a requirement. I can understand their pushback. They may not have the infrastructure to support you. They may want a higher rate for providing the service.

Javier_Ruisoto

Starting to get Involved
If the 'high temperature' point where it will be affected is the same as the upper temperature range on the box (labeling?) and there's a chance it could occur under expected conditions then, at least, action is warranted.

Sounds like the specifications and expectations weren't properly communicated to the supplier. They apparently assumed that was just a recommended range and not a requirement. I can understand their pushback. They may not have the infrastructure to support you. They may want a higher rate for providing the service.
Totally.

But, the fact it's that the recommended value was put on the box by the supplier.

So, to me, its like they put a recommended value in their box but not guaranteed the acomplishment in their own deposit.

Its a fail in their own norm.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Jim, thank you for your reply.

Not necessarily, since the form of the product provided (raw material for the process of the client) its not in the spec, its easy to say its gonna affect the hand work. But for the final product its hard.
The reason I asked is that I'm not sure that it's a good idea to audit a supplier and look for problems with someone else's product. If I read your reply correctly, it's a raw material and you don't know whether it will wind up in your product or not. Does your company receive material from this supplier that has the markings you're concerned about? It sounds to me like the supplier needs to either get rid of the temperature markings or monitor the storage temperature, but I'm not sure that you need to be concerned about it to the extent of identifying an audit nonconformity.

Javier_Ruisoto

Starting to get Involved
I Agree with you Jim.

To me, the supplier needs to either get rid of the temperature markings or monitor the storage temperature.

Its is own fault to say that X temperature is a limit for the storage and not monitor it.

Truth is, netherless, that hot days makes the product deform and stand as unworkable scrap in the client factory, because they cant separe one product from the other and stay as one big block.

Thats its something I know because my experience in the industry and the process expert that was part of the auditing group support this.

But I'm not sure that I can desregard the mark as a non conformity because the supplier says is something that is not required for the client and not present in their internal documents from the supplier, but its expresed in the product box.

Thanks agains for your time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Cutting and Tapping Titanium Material - What tap material is recomended Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q Capability - CPk comparison values Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
M Specific Values of Quality Objectives Benchmarking 7
G Can calibrated device values be used instead of manufacturers spec? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
I Recommendation about h and k values when CUSUM charts are used Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
qualprod Criteria to raise a Nonconformance based on KPI values ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 39
E IEC 60335-1 power input deviation - Table 1 Values Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
D Asterix when pasting a column of values from Excel into Minitab (V17) Using Minitab Software 5
qualprod Cycle times, value stream mapping, inventory, average values? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
N When to record values if a spec for a mfg process is set Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
H In-house device calibration record - Actual values obtained required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
N Regression Model (Minitab 18) - Which values my input parameters should have Using Minitab Software 2
Q Really do they add value (Vision, Mission, Values)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q Values - ISO 9001 2015 - Clause 4.1 Note 3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Correlating Maximum 'Range' of Values for a given "RSD" (Control Limits) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Power Traceability certificate for values for voltage, current and phase General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Cp & Cpk about a diameter measured with min.,max. and average values. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
D Standard torque values for threaded fasteners AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
V Different gage values for assessment on as-is data and % data Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
E How do you perform a GR&R for system software generated values? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A 61010-1 Accessible Parts - Limit Values and Crepage and Air Clearance Distances Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
I Dual Acceptance Criteria: Cpk and Individual Values Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Rameshwar25 Getting values of k1, k2 and k3 for n=30, r=3 and k=3 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
F Fully nested ANOVA: A missing p-values (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 11
T Variation in values of the levels in Factorial/Response surface design Using Minitab Software 1
C Specification + MU - Dealing with reported MU Values Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
Ajit Basrur How to allow users to enter values in a protected MS Excel worksheet ? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
M Injection Moulding Minitab DOE - All P Values are 0 Using Minitab Software 7
A Help with acceptable screw gage values per standard BS 919 for Go/ No Go gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K Can I do an average measurement values for a sample? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Z Using Sum Values for Category Data in Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
N Basic Math Problem - Finding in between Values General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
J Minitab Factorial Experiments - Excluding certain values Using Minitab Software 3
B Rounding Numerical Values Up or Down with respect to the number of Significant Digits Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 9
M Typical values of MTBF for Optical Avionic Networks Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
A How to interpret Minitab Results? What is difference in Cpk and Ppk values? Using Minitab Software 2
N Interpretation of Measurement Values - Technical Specification - Amperage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
D Hole Limit Dimension Values Placement - Smaller Limit On Top? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Changing PFMEA (Process FMEA) RPN Values based on a Rejection FMEA and Control Plans 4
R How to assess capability for parameters which has got either Min values or Max values Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
V Minitab and Excel Giving Different Cpk Values for the same Data Using Minitab Software 12
S Are the Values for Constants determined by Sample Size or Sub-Group Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
D Analyze of Fractional Factorial Design in Minitab - I didn't get F and P- values Using Minitab Software 4
Z Subsetting based on values in a text column in Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
K Recording Weight Values on Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
L Importing CSV (comma separated values) / Excel process steps into Visio diagram Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
G Accuracy of Cpk and Cp values with 5% of production Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
W Z-values in Logistic Regression stem from a Wald test? Using Minitab Software 7
B Normalizing Continuous Data with "0" values Using Minitab Software 3
0 Calculating axis values of normal probability plot Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4