Recommendations for criteria on creating a CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: CAPA Criteria

Hi QACen, your question is too short and generic for anyone willing to help to give you meaningful advice. It would behoove to take the time and effort to clearly explain what you are trying to reach, the context of your question, the type of system/product, etc...

The quality of the answers one might get here at The Cove are proportional to the caliber of the questions. Questions that are too generic and too broad in scope normally are not answered to it's fullest potential.

If I were you, I would refine the question and expand it.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

wow?

does the CAPA also have a standard?
I try to help.
I think you could use a method related to problem solving , for instance in the sector of automotive there is 8D. It is very common and applicable in alle sector.
Make a research on the forum in 8D methology.
Other tools of quality functional for this are brainistorming, pareto analysys, 5 Why's, IS/IS not, fishbone diagram, decision making etc...
Hope this helps:bigwave:

S

ssz102

I try to help.
I think you could use a method related to problem solving , for instance in the sector of automotive there is 8D. It is very common and applicable in alle sector.
Make a research on the forum in 8D methology.
Other tools of quality functional for this are brainistorming, pareto analysys, 5 Why's, IS/IS not, fishbone diagram, decision making etc...
Hope this helps:bigwave:
thanks for your help! i see

Q

QACen

Re: Recommendations for criteria on creating a CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action

Sorry for being too "generic". I want to help other employees in the company understand how to identify when an issue becomes a CAPA without sounding like a walking book of standards nor always having to come to the "only QA person" in the company. Is there a bullet list criteria that perhaps worked for others that was in plain and simple english? Thank you!

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Re: Recommendations for criteria on creating a CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action

Sorry for being too "generic". I want to help other employees in the company understand how to identify when an issue becomes a CAPA without sounding like a walking book of standards nor always having to come to the "only QA person" in the company. Is there a bullet list criteria that perhaps worked for others that was in plain and simple english? Thank you!
Not an exhaustive list, but as a starter, the following would normally call for CAPA:

- A recurring NC with a non-diminishing trend
- A severe problem, in terms of either safety or business impact
- A cited regulatory/legal deviation

Since this is in the 13485 forum, allow me to offer you this guidance document, which I previously found here in Elsmar Cove after searching along similar lines. This document may seem a little complex at first, but stay with it. It really does a good job of outlining the possible directions CAPA can go in as far as when escalation to full-scale action is appropriate, and distinguishes correction from corrective action, which really helped me plan and determine which kind(s) of action were appropriate in different cases.

Attachments

Q

QACen

Thank you! This will give some ideas.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B IATF Certification Body Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
D Any recommendations on where to find experienced quality hires in Chicago area? Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 2
S IEC60601-1 Training recommendations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
M NICE Medical Technology Evaluation Programme - Recommendations Service Industry Specific Topics 0
T Training recommendations? Bringing our RoHS and REACH compliance efforts in-house REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
J Recommendations for online ISO 19011 training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
M HR (Human Resources) based software recommendations Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
S MDR consultants - in search of recommendations for a consultant for MDR transition. Paid Consulting, Training and Services 7
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
A EAR costs and recommendations under MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Breast Implants – Certain Labeling Recommendations to Improve Patient Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Electronic ECO/ECR Process - Software recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Recommendations for CBs south of England AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Authorized Representative services for the EU Recommendations EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Recommendations for UK-based ISO 13485 internal auditor training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Clinical Evaluation Report - Consultant Recommendations Consultants and Consulting 9
Tagin Recommendations for calibration labels for ESD floor mats General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
M Informational MHRA Guidance – Recommendations from the independent Expert Advisory Group on the use of Paclitaxel Drug-Coated Balloons (DCBs) and Drug-Eluting Stent Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
pbojsen Computerized Learning Management Systems (Training systems) recommendations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Seeking ISO 13485 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
Pmarszal Software Validation Training Course - Recommendations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
K Recommendations for books on artificial intelligence software Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
J Good Laboratory Practice: online training course recommendations? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
QIE QMS and PLM software recommendations Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 6
M Medical Device News FDA Releases Draft Recommendations on Premarket Submissions for Management of Cybersecurity in Medical Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
J Recommendations on Inspection/SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M New AS9100 Registrar - Recommendations for Transfer Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
O Supply chain strategy or commodity strategy reading recommendations Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
P QMS software recommendations for a small ISO 13485 company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
E Best GD&T training - Your suggestions and recommendations please Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
R Quality Management Software Recommendations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Recommendations for joining a professional association and obtaining quality certific Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
R IATF 16949:2016 textbook recommendations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Corrective Action Software Recommendations Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
T Recommendations for ONLINE IATF 16949 Lead Auditor Training IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
H ISO/IATF Internal Auditor Recommendations For Manufacturer In California, USA Internal Auditing 3
P Recommendations on SPC Software or Excel SPC add-in(s) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
rob73 Advice/recommendations for equipment to measure a soft pvc tube - Optical Measuring? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Electronic Device History Record (eDHR) Software Recommendations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Any recommendations on canned ISO 9001 documentation? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T TS16949 Lead Auditor Training Recommendations wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
S Recommendations on a good ISO 9001 "transition" auditor training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
S Small Business ERP System - Recommendations wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
J Good training or seminars to attend for MEDDEV 2.12-1 recommendations wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Definition Recommendations - Understanding "recommendations" and "recommended corrective action" Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
a_bardi Quality in Medicine book recommendations Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
F Software recommendations for corrective and preventive action Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
Q Global SCAR Software System Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
J MR Testing Facility recommendations in US, Germany, or Asia US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3