Recommended Number of Internal Auditors

K

km2red

Reccomended Number of Internal Auditors

I am wondering if any one has ever seen a list/matrix/scribbles on a napkin that reccomends the number of internal auditos a company should have (ie: 1 internal auditor per 15 employees.) It's much easier to push things through around here if I have something in writing.:cool:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jim Biz

I waited for over two years to gain semi-official input for the same question...... It seems to be one of those that is of a varying opinion depending on who you talk to..

Marc would "most likley" tell you -- there is no set standard number of "INTERAL" auditors required or even suggested -- And many discussions here at the Cove about the definition of who an Internal auditor can be - we use our outside consultants staff in a pinch.

Our last External auditor however offered "the opinion" that for 185 employees 5 to 6 trained ACTIVE internal auditors would be what she would consider adequate..

If my math is correct that would make - 1 per each 30 or 35 employees. As a general opinion/suggestion.

A

Alf Gulford

Just for some numbers, we have about 1,000 employees and 2 full-time internal auditors (I finally got back-up), with 16 others trained to help us part-time. The part-time auditors each typically participate in 2-4 audits per year. Keep in mind that we full-timers also spend a lot of time investigating and writing procedures, doing employee training, twisting arms, etc.:(

Alf

D

David Mullins

it's your call

First and foremost, let me say that the audit program/schedule must be implemented, maintained, and kept on schedule. So if you're having trouble holding it together due to resource problems, then clearly you need more auditors. Registrars will look at this - of course.

Second, and of little consequence, the type of indutry, product, etc. plays a big part in determining auditor:employee ratios. I find in service industry environments (and I'm talking auditing as an extra job for people here) a trained auditing pool of about 8-10% is required, with an active force of 5%. Lower than this and you risk losing them through over work - too many audits. So the better question relates to how many auditors do I need to perform 35 x 1 hour audits per year? Auditors need to do at least 2 per year to keep their hand in, and generally no more than 5. Quality dept type people can do extra/more to fill all the audits.

NOTE: it also depends on the number of departments, geographical locations of sites, etc, etc, etc, etc.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
I have seen a few suggestions and will look in my files to see if I still have the info. The best plan is based on the schedule of audits, "Am I getting them done on time?" If "No", you may need more. We have over 300 under one roof people and have 8 from various departments including floor employees

Raffy

Hi,
Few years ago, our manpower is 160 and we have three internal auditors. And now we almost double the size, were 259 now and now we have 18 healthy internal auditors.
I think there's no specific number of auditors, as long as when that auditors audit, document what they are doing. I think that's fine.
Hope this helps,
Raffy

I

ISO Chick

:bigwave:
I agree........... our external auditor has never specified a number of auditors per number of employee....

My company has aprox ~90 employees and we have 6 internal auditors. I just made sure that we had at least one person from each department so that all audits can be objective. Also find this helps increase Quality Awareness within each department, as this can be a problem. :(

Raffy

Hi,
That was great, having at least one per department with 18 healthy auditors including 4 in QA department. I make sure that plenty in QA, we don't want to happen someone would leave the department without any replacement.

Raffy

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by Jim Biz

Marc would "most likley" tell you -- there is no set standard number of "INTERAL" auditors required or even suggested
Yup. And there are lots of discussions here on various aspects of internal auditing...

A

Aaron Lupo

Just my opinion. I would say train as many people as you can. Not only is it good experience but as ISO Chick stated it helps increase Quality Awarness, if they see how it relates to thier jobs they will then understand the importance of a quality system.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Recommended practice for furnishing Technical Procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Coronary, Peripheral, and Neurovascular Guidewires – Performance Tests and Recommended Labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
William55401 How Often Does FDA State Consultant Recommended in a Pharma WL? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Recommended Content and Format of Non-Clinical Bench Performance Testing Information in Premarket Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A PFMEA - How long should the recommended actions remain in the recommended actions column? APQP and PPAP 3
Ajit Basrur Any recommended courses to FDA and CBP Import Process? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
A The FILE recommended by AIAG MSA 4ed for LINEARITY Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
Q Is it recommended to use the new terms in ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
R Recommended Location for a 510(k) RTA Checklist with a 510(k) eCOPY 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Recommended Training for Design Engineers in IATF 16949 Cl.8.3 - Design & Development Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
N ISO Standards recommended for Hotels - ISO 21401:2018 Tourism and related services — Sustainability management system for accommodation establishments Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
F Is IEC 60601-1-11 recommended or mandatory for devices manufactured after June 2013? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
P Recommended books on ISO 27001:2013 Implementation and Internal Auditing IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
M Definition Recommendations - Understanding "recommendations" and "recommended corrective action" Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
M Compliance Marks on Labeling - Required, recommended, or useless? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S FMEA Revisions - Recommended Actions to Actions Taken FMEA and Control Plans 5
A Recommended Online Lead Auditor Course Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
P FMEA Risk Analysis Recommended Action Priority FMEA and Control Plans 2
C Recommended Sealing for Granite Top in a Clean Room US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
P PFMEA (Process FMEA) Recommended Actions help FMEA and Control Plans 9
P Recommended Books on Electrical Safety Compliance for IEC 60601-1? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M EtO compatible or recommended materials Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
P Does a 'recommended' additional Audit need to be conducted? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
5 ISO 13485 Auditor recommended a monthly MDR Search ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
2 Recommended Training Courses Companies Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
Q Is there a recommended lab layout for a ISO TS requirement? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Quality Meeting With Employees as a Recommended Action FMEA and Control Plans 3
T Recommended Books for SQE (Supplier Quality Engineering) Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 20
T PFMEA (Process FMEA) Recommended Actions Column FMEA and Control Plans 10
K What is the recommended (required?) frequency of drinking water testing? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 17
M Exempt Vendors (Suppliers) recommended by Business Partners in Vendor Evaluation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Ron Rompen Recommended Rockwell 30T Scale Hardness Tester to verify Incoming Product General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M ISO 17025 - Recommended or Required and other Calibration questions ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
I Recommended European Regulatory Affairs Books for Beginners Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
J Master Color Plaque recommended sources Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 16
Q CAPA (Corrective Action Preventive Action) NC recommended for IT, HR, ACC.? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Process Qualification - What is the recommended Sample Size for PQ? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 10
bgot62 We have been recommended for certification! Covegratulations 4
E Gauge Block Grade recommended use for in house calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
E Calibration of Calipers, Mics, Height gauges - Recommended Gage Block Types General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
A Recommended for AS9100B Certification! Thanks! AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J Aerospace Recommended Practice ARP9013 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
L Unconditional Documented Procedures vs. Recommended Procedures in 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
JodiB Recommended Reads for new Chief Engineer Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 7
M What is the recommended calibration frequency for gage blocks? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
DanteCaspian Recommended Andons? Building 3 light-4 light andons, with or without sound Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
M How many pieces are recommended to release PCA study? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
GStough EN 388 & 374 Standards - Required or Recommended Testing Frequency? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
L FMEA - Should a severity of 9 or 10 be always followed by recommended actions? FMEA and Control Plans 2
ScottK I just got my first Mac... any advice or recommended software? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5