Record Legibility and Initials - Signing Records with sometimes Illegible Initials

E

elkinsn

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations on how to handle people signing records with their (sometimes illegible) initials? Especially when the 9001 standard specifically states that records must be "legible". They are ultimately identifiable (if you ask around to the people who regularly see them) but I'm not sure if that meets the standard. Thanks for any help!

Nathan

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Record Legibility and Using Initials

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations on how to handle people signing records with their (sometimes illegible) initials? Especially when the 9001 standard specifically states that records must be "legible". They are ultimately identifiable (if you ask around to the people who regularly see them) but I'm not sure if that meets the standard. Thanks for any help!

Nathan
As long as the actual data/information in the records is legible you're fine.

My signature and initials are "illegible" and that has never been an issue because they're unique to me.

Stijloor.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

I agree with Jan. At my last division I was known to be the interpreter, because I was the only one who recognized everyone's initialing. :lmao: As long as you can read the data, you're good to go.

Randy

Super Moderator

Send 'em back and tell them to sign them correctly or have their salary with held until they do.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

Send 'em back and tell them to sign them correctly or have their salary with held until they do.
Good thing the bank doesn't do that with checks...and pharmacies with prescriptions! :tg:

M

MIREGMGR

Maintain a public directory of acceptable signatures/marks.

This is a Quality document, but as it is in effect a record for each employee, we have HR maintain it in parallel with their other Quality records of who's had what training and has what expertise; and who has what authority.

Clarify in a work procedure and in training that short forms are acceptable as long as they're already in the directory, and they're consistent, and no two marks or signatures are confusible with each other, and each person has only one short form.

harry

Super Moderator

Maintain a public directory of acceptable signatures/marks. ....................................
Good advice. I too keep and encourage people to keep a register of signatures/initials. It is not a requirement but I learned of its value when we were having some contractual disputes years back.

V

Vic de Beer

Do you have a signature log? May be a good idea to have one (this is not a requirement, but can be usefull);). It would be a good idea to have a means of tracking a scribble back to the originator (traceability), should there be an issue. :mg:

batman1056

Involved In Discussions
Re: Record Legibility and Initials - Signing Records with sometimes Illegible Initial

In theory you will have a master list of authorised signatories, people in your organisation who can sign off an item. Peoples initials are unique, just ensure you know who signed it off and that they were authorised to do so.

Tom W

Living the Dream...
Re: Record Legibility and Initials - Signing Records with sometimes Illegible Initial

I agree with many of the comments about having a record of signatures and initials. In dealing with NADCAP it has been very highly and strongly suggested that we do the same thing to ensure proper authorizations or obtained and provided on official records for the Aerospace. While not really required it is one of those implied requirements just to make things easier.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S How do you record your Nonconforming product? Batch production of staged processes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Defining and Documenting Record Retention CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Q Forms Master List versus Record Matrix ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
S Service record requirements for Non-Serviceable Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
R No design history file or device master record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Sam Lazzara Medical Device File (MDF per 13485:2016 4.2.3) versus FDA Device Master Record (DMR) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
I What kind of information needs to be in a calibration record? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
E ISO 9001:2015 - Record requirements for out of calibration tool ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
N ISO 13485 Quality Record Retention Period ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Loss of a Quality Record - FDA Inspection Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
B MDSAP 8.2.6 CH6 task 17 ANVISA 16/2013 3.2.1 - Label History in Device history record Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
I Training records and levels - When does training NOT need a record? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Gman2 Quality Record Retention (Internal Audits, CA's) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R Are DMR (device master record) and DHR (device history record) inspected by FDA or audited by an NB ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N When to record values if a spec for a mfg process is set Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Mobile app data privacy - Length of record retention in a software app Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
S Foreign Manufacturer and DMR - Who keeps the DMR (Device Master Record)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Medical Device News Health Canada - Scientific Advisory Panel on Software as a Medical Device (SAP-SaMD) - Record of Proceedings – January 26, 2018 Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
J Training Record Template and tracking Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S DMR (Device Master Record) for Medical Device Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
D Design Outputs vs DMR (Design Master Record) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
H In-house device calibration record - Actual values obtained required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
M Is referenced content sufficient to meet record content requirements? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R Reissuing pages of a record 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S. Moore Record Retention - How long must a company keep the following records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
M Batch record supersedes all other instructions 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K Our local sterilizer is closing - Record Retention Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Q An uncontrolled record is it a non-conformance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
B Quality Records - Should any record be signed? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Record retention for defunct customers? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
I Engineering Drawing = Record or Document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
A Requirement to Identify Changes to record in ISO 13485 : 2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Record Retention Requirements - IATF 16949 Clause 7.5.3.2.1 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 15
Q Modifying an old printed record? ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
E ISO 13485 Clause 7.3.2 - Purchased Data Approval and Record Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Pmarszal FDA Global UDI Database: Record Submission Retention Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R Supplier data record in adequate media type Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
T ISO 9001 - Design Validation Record exemption ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
J Electronic Device History Record (eDHR) Software Recommendations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Looking for templates of Master Production Record and Master Batch record Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
S Form and Form/Record Numbering in an Excel Spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
WCHorn Flowdown of Aerospace record retention requirements (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
C Suggestions requested on handling batch record papers exposed to hormonal products Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
S What is the difference between record and document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
QMMike Software to Record Detailed Final Audit / Inspection Data Software Quality Assurance 2
S DMR (Device Master Record) Management and Index questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 18
S Is there any difference between QUALITY SYSTEM RECORD & QUALITY MANUAL 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Is not keeping inspection record an ISO 9001 nonconformity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12