Record Retention - How long must a company keep the following records?

qusys

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello friends,

How long must you keep the following records and is there a list out there showing the type of record with the retention time? ISO 2001:2015, IATF 16949:2016 and ISO 14001:2015

Employee Training Records
Obsolete Job Instructions
Obsolete Job Procedures
CAPA forms
Non-conformities reports
Costumer complaints
Internal audit records
3rd party audit records
Management reviews
Risk assessments
RGA's
It depends on customer's requirements, local laws, regulations etc.
However this list is not totally comprehensive. You must decide what records to be retained and how long, taking into account the associated risks.

Crusader

It depends on customer's requirements, local laws, regulations etc.
However this list is not totally comprehensive. You must decide what records to be retained and how long, taking into account the associated risks.
No requirements, laws for internal audit records. Just curious if anyone has cut their retention time. Oh well. Never mind.

sniderdi

Starting to get Involved
It depends on what type of business you are in. In my company we go along the guidelines of pharmaceutical, I have copied what we have to retain our records for, some of the documents you have listed are not on here, but some are
Type of Documents & Retention Period
External Audit:permanent
Internal Audit:7 years from date of report closure
Procedure/Process (SOPs, Forms & Work Aids):30 years from retirement of document
Validation/Re-Validation Report:permanent
Method Validation/Study Report:permanent
Employee Signature Log Sheets:20 years from date of archival
Employee Training Records:1 year from date of employment termination

I hope this is of some help to you.

Crusader

We are an unusual company. There really aren't requirements mandated for about 98% of customers. No one mentions audit records.

I am just curious who has reduced their retention times for internal audit records.

AMIT BALLAL

Trusted Information Resource
Trusted
We are an unusual company. There really aren't requirements mandated for about 98% of customers. No one mentions audit records.

I am just curious who has reduced their retention times for internal audit records.
We haven't reduced the retention period of internal audits. Instead I started scanning and storing the records in system, so that it doesn't take physical space. And I found it very useful to look at past records of internal audits, especially after joining new organizations. I consider internal audit records very important, since it gives important information about the system and organization.
Hence I am not considering reducing internal audit retention time.
:2cents:

Crusader

Yep, I started scanning old records, then stopped. I just don't see us going back to look at them beyond a year. And with the new standard, things are different and old stuff is not applicable anymore.

Thanks for those who chime in....

normzone

We are an unusual company.
Oh, you work here also? How can it be that you've been working for the same organizations as myself and I never noticed you around?

And why is today Friday? I was just getting in the groove - I could have REALLY used a Friday a couple of times earlier this week, but there were none to be found. I'm going to have to speak to whoever is handling planning ...

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin

Has no auditor asked you for previous 2 years of audit records as part of recertification audit?