Recording Nonconforming Purchased Parts

This is more of a poll than a question. In my organization, there is a lot of disagreement over who is responsible for recording a nonconforming purchased part discovered on the production floor. I realize the fact that it got that far is a problem but our company is the result of a merger between two smaller companies. In one, whoever discovered the bad part was required to enter the reject. In the other, Quality was required to enter the reject. IMO it's supplier QA's responsibility to assure good parts make it to the floor so they should be responsible to enter the reject. We have a few holdouts that just seem to be dodging the work. Just curious if any other folks have a system where the person who finds the bad part has to enter the reject. Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
FWIW, I would put the responsibility on whatever party was also responsible for arranging replacement/RMA/refund, and it would be tied to supplier evaluation. Why double the work?

Who cares what company A or Company B "used to do"?
What makes the most sense now?...do that.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Who cares what company A or Company B "used to do"?
What makes the most sense now?...do that.
Agreed - do what makes sense for your company now, don;t decide based on the past which may not be relevant in the new context.

Not sure what you mean by "enter the reject". I often have seen a system where whoever finds the defect on the shop floor and thus knows what the defect is, and why it is or may be a defect, is at least responsible for "tagging" the defective part(s), isolating them to prevent unintended use, and ensuring that someone (QA, Purchasing, etc.) knows it exists so further processing can take place (formal documentation, disposition, supplier notification, ordering replacements, rework, etc. etc.).

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Staff member
Just curious if any other folks have a system where the person who finds the bad part has to enter the reject.
Based on my professional experiences...
* empower EVERYONE to "suspect" the product (i.e. anyone from "janitor to president" can simply tag/contain.
* identify the process owner (a role/position) with responsibility/authority) to disposition (i..e OK to use? Scrap? Return to supplier ?...)
* assign responsibility (a role/position) with responsibility to "enter" information.

Hope this helps.

Be well.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I'm wondering what is so cumbersome about "entering the rejects" that no one wants to do it...
Good point.

At least one popular software package a previous employer used was very cumbersome. Virtually everyone hated it. The old system was much more low-tech but more user friendly and much faster.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
qualprod Records where apply and stop recording everything? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Question on determining defective units - I am not recording fixture to part rejected Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
V Recording CMM dimensional results on CFG-1003 APQP and PPAP 3
Marc Informational Apple Tells App Developers To Disclose Or Remove Screen Recording Code World News 0
B Easy Software Needed for Recording Mainly Attribute Data Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
N Where I can find an Excel sample/template for recording Delivery Time and Cost Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
chris1price Error in data recording - Recording measurements in SAP Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
J Consumer or Medical Grade Tablet to Receive Data from a Recording Module via WIFI IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 10
R Recording Control Plan Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M SAE AMS 2750E Relocation Hot or Cold Recording Sensor Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Recording Data and Data Analysis 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L What is, and the purpose of, ISO STATS recording ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
I Recording of In Process Data to Meet FDA QSR 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Does the recording of wrong entries amount to a nonconformity? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
V Quality Plan (Inspection, Recording and Corrective Actions) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
T Recording of Measured (Variables) Inspection Data vs. Check Boxes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 17
M Recording True Positioning (Geometric Tolerances) on an FAI Report Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 15
C Recording "nature of non-conformities" - Any way out of this?? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Computer Screen Video Capture and Recording Software with Audio After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
K Recording Weight Values on Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
K Is Video Recording an Inspection allowed by Auditors? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
K Supplier Performance - Recording Supplier Performance for long term trend reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Recording Scrap - Problems in the Medical Device Manufacturing Sector ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
F Save Excel file with Date for Recording Weekly Test Samples Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 11
A Validation of an Excel Spreadsheet used for Recording Test Results Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 14
jkuil Recording of First Piece Inspection to meet 21 CFR 820.80e and ISO 13485 7.5.1.1 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
G ISO 14001 - Recording Competence, Training and Awareness in Existing Staff Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
J Simpler Method of Recording In-Process Inspection Data - Machine Shop Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
D Defect Recording Software recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
Jen Kirley Have you tried recording vinyl to MP3s and or CDs? Turntable with USB port? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 22
P 1st Article Part - Recording All Dimensions vs. Critical Dimensions - AS9100B AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
T Recording Inspection Data - Best Practices - What do you folks do? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
M Inspection Results - The FDA's interpretation of recording inspection results Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Grave 'aide memoire' from a Cockpit Voice Recording (CVR) transcript AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
N ISO9001:2000 Documentation/Activities Recording Software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
N Recording the results of Supplier Evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
G Recording Monitoring and Measuring Readings - Record inspection gages we use? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
M Data Measurement - Where can I purchase a data recording system? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
D Recording training of staff in new/revised procedures Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M Nonconforming parts accepted by operator with intention Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 33
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A ISO 13485 - Clause 8.3.3 appropriate actions in response to nonconforming product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S How do you record your Nonconforming product? Batch production of staged processes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
C Manufacturing overages & nonconforming material documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Juby Tan Action on Customer Replacement (Nonconforming Product - ISO 9001) Customer Complaints 2
S ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.7 Control of Nonconforming Outputs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
J Control of nonconforming product issue (AS91000) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J Nonconforming product procedures SOP help :) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2