Recording training of staff in new/revised procedures

D

David Mullins

The scenario is a hotel/pub/inn (non-residential). The pub decides to introduce a quality system because they have a high turnover of staff, and even the staff that have been there a while don't know all that they should, and all do things differently.
The pub DOES NOT want to certify their system.

The problem:
Given the turnover of staff and ongoing revision of procedures, how do they record training of staff in new/revised procedures?

Put another way:
They have a matrix, that they keep up to date, which shows who should be competent in which procedures. If a procedure is revised what is an effective, time efficient means to get staff to sign-off that they have familiarised themselves with the revisions? (They want a hard copy of this evidence, but not a truck load of meaningless papers)

Any thoughts or sample forms?

------------------

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Andy Bassett

Im not sure there is an easy way out of this, if there is someone let us know. Isimply have a 'Attendance List' for each procedure and ask new personnel to sign after training.

On a loosely connected point, i have been very dissatisified with the quality of training for new employees in one particular company. After a review we have decided to change it, after deciding what areas are of interest to new employees, the employee will be asked to visit the relevant area, disucss the procedure and make notes on it.

This has several advantages
A. The training is done by the process owners themselves.
B. All parties have to get use to finding the documentation.
C. The Process owners will have more ownership and understanding of their own processes.
D. The trainees are asked to present a file at the end of training which contains the marked copies of the procedures (Ie a record of training).

Dont know if that helps.

Regards

------------------
Andy B

D

David Mullins

What I am currently considering is providing a copy of updated/revised procedures to relevant employees, with a cover sheet which requires them to read the procedure, mark down if they read and understood the changes, and sign against their name.

I am looking for something less cumbersome, namely this method creates a lot of files, and takes some time to circulate amongst employees, if it doesn't get lost along the way.

If anybody has a better option, my band width is open!

------------------

A

Andy Bassett

Hello David

Do you have owners of the processes. If yes get THEM to do the training, it will increase the awarenes of procedures alround.

Regards

------------------
Andy B

D

Don Watt

We are currently using hard copies for procedures and the "system" is that when new or revised procedures are issued, the manager/team leader for that area is responsible for developing a plan of implementation. i.e. identifies who needs to be briefed / re-trained against procedure, who will conduct the briefing/training and a timescale for completion.
This plan is returned with the document receipt note and therefore implementation / effectiveness of the training/briefing can be followed up via internal audit.

B

Brian Dowsett

Dave,
Why not have one designated office/place where procedure changes are signed off and a copy of the latest version is available. Keep a log book there. When a procedure changes, write down, in the book, a list of people who need to see the change, along with a tick box for "I've read and understood it" and another for "I've read it but need some help". Review the book periodically, chase up those who haven't ticked either box and remind the process owner to help those who need it, who can then tick a further box saying "I'm OK with this now".

Cheers

Brian

D

David Mullins

In my current job I'm surrounded by PHD holders. I waved it under the nose of a few, which created responses like "a causation test model against normals for baseline contrast". I'd better ask the psych group next!

------------------

D

David Mullins

Excuse my previous response, it slipped into the wrong part of the forum!!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback.

What I've currently proposed it essentially what Brian suggested, but with a coversheet instead of a log.

Don's suggestion is an interesting one, although I'm wondering if it makes the paper chase even longer, plus my example is is not an ISO 9001 compliant system, as they don't have audits (they prefer a regular inspection by the duty manager). It certainly made me think about a possible improvement - instead of the standard "changes in this issue" section I put on the base of the first page of revised procedures, I might increase it to something along the lines of "what's out & what's in". This might provide a much clearer picture for people so that they can effect the changes in their work practices without trying to re-assess the changed paragraphs to determine how/if they are impacted.

------------------

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G ISO 14001 - Recording Competence, Training and Awareness in Existing Staff Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
qualprod Records where apply and stop recording everything? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Question on determining defective units - I am not recording fixture to part rejected Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
V Recording CMM dimensional results on CFG-1003 APQP and PPAP 3
Marc Informational Apple Tells App Developers To Disclose Or Remove Screen Recording Code World News 0
B Easy Software Needed for Recording Mainly Attribute Data Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
N Where I can find an Excel sample/template for recording Delivery Time and Cost Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
chris1price Error in data recording - Recording measurements in SAP Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
J Consumer or Medical Grade Tablet to Receive Data from a Recording Module via WIFI IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 10
R Recording Control Plan Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M SAE AMS 2750E Relocation Hot or Cold Recording Sensor Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Recording Data and Data Analysis 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L What is, and the purpose of, ISO STATS recording ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
I Recording of In Process Data to Meet FDA QSR 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Does the recording of wrong entries amount to a nonconformity? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
V Quality Plan (Inspection, Recording and Corrective Actions) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
T Recording of Measured (Variables) Inspection Data vs. Check Boxes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 17
M Recording True Positioning (Geometric Tolerances) on an FAI Report Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 15
C Recording "nature of non-conformities" - Any way out of this?? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Computer Screen Video Capture and Recording Software with Audio After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
K Recording Weight Values on Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
K Is Video Recording an Inspection allowed by Auditors? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
K Supplier Performance - Recording Supplier Performance for long term trend reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Recording Scrap - Problems in the Medical Device Manufacturing Sector ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
F Save Excel file with Date for Recording Weekly Test Samples Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 11
A Validation of an Excel Spreadsheet used for Recording Test Results Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 14
jkuil Recording of First Piece Inspection to meet 21 CFR 820.80e and ISO 13485 7.5.1.1 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
J Simpler Method of Recording In-Process Inspection Data - Machine Shop Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
D Defect Recording Software recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
Jen Kirley Have you tried recording vinyl to MP3s and or CDs? Turntable with USB port? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 22
P 1st Article Part - Recording All Dimensions vs. Critical Dimensions - AS9100B AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
T Recording Inspection Data - Best Practices - What do you folks do? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
M Inspection Results - The FDA's interpretation of recording inspection results Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Grave 'aide memoire' from a Cockpit Voice Recording (CVR) transcript AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
N ISO9001:2000 Documentation/Activities Recording Software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
N Recording the results of Supplier Evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
G Recording Monitoring and Measuring Readings - Record inspection gages we use? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
M Data Measurement - Where can I purchase a data recording system? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
Anonymous16-2 Labelling Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
J Recommendations for online ISO 19011 training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I Does training have to be written? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Regulations for Medical Device Kit for Training Personnel? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9