Records Management -Who decides where departmentwise records are stored?

M

mbr22m

Hi all,
I have some questions on records management. First some background.. I was responsible for document control of product documentation (datasheets, app notes, white papers) for a large, ISO compliant semiconductor corp. I started working for a fairly small Aerospace company (150 employees) doing doc control/processing for the engineering dept, but then was moved to doing doc control for the entire company in support of AS9100 certification/audit. I'm a little overwhelmed with the scale of everything, especially records management... Right now, no one consistently maintains their records. They are all over the place. My QA director is trying to tell me that I need to dictate where each department should store their records. It is my understanding that each department is responsible for maintaining their own records and deciding where they will be stored (as long as it's consistent and they are retrievable and identifiable) e.g. if the record originates from Engineering, Engineering will decide where they store the record and Doc Control will note on the Quality Records list. Am I correct, or do I need to go around and tell everyone exactly where they should store their records?? :frust::mad: I apologize for my ignorance with this.. A lot of this is new to me, but it just makes absolutely no sense to me that doc control should dictate where each and every single record should be stored. What do other companies do?
Thank you all!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Re: Records Management

Can you meet them in the middle?

Can you find out who stores what how and where, and fill gaps with knowledge some people may not have about good practices to reduce the risk of loss based on type of media and the practices?

M

mbr22m

Hi Jennifer,
Thanks for the quick reply! That's kind of what I've been trying to do for existing records, but a problem I'm running into is that as QA writes new procedures, he's creating a lot of new forms and I really don't know where these will eventually be stored and the people that will be using them aren't really aware of them yet either.... So it's hard to determine where these records will go. There's been no training yet either and we have a Stage 1 on Monday! :(

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource

The standard does not dictate anything about 'who' must control the records. The standard just wants the records identified, protected, retrievable, the retention of, and disposition of the records.

If specific department(s) are not willing to define these themselves, then that may be when you have to step in. I would get with the manager(s) of the department(s) and get a core concept for record retention (electronic records will be stored as PDF unless otherwise required), get a basic definition about where the files will be stored generally and document it.

For example, in our procedure, I have 'material certifications' stored as .PDF at "this specific folder location of our server" [Z:\Quality\Material Certifications]. This defines what type of record and where it is stored. The .PDF protects the file and makes it retrievable and the file name makes it identifiable. Get with the process owners and find out how/what they want to do based on these requirements since they are the ones who are going to be the ones doing it. We just choose to store material certifications as PDF's so we can access them easily. Records can be stored by whatever method is appropriate to how you do business.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource

Hi Jennifer,
Thanks for the quick reply! That's kind of what I've been trying to do for existing records, but a problem I'm running into is that as QA writes new procedures, he's creating a lot of new forms and I really don't know where these will eventually be stored and the people that will be using them aren't really aware of them yet either.... So it's hard to determine where these records will go. There's been no training yet either and we have a Stage 1 on Monday! :(
Also, don't be afraid of removing records that are not used anymore. During the discussion, ask what the record is for, and is it useful? If you can, remove the need for them. Be careful not to be overly ambitious and remove records that you actually need.

M

mbr22m

Thanks, Michael for listening to my rant and talking me down off the ledge.. Lol. Thanks for the guidance too; it seems less daunting now and more achievable. We just have so many new forms now (about 50) and we're under a really tight deadline, so I'm stressing. I do think like you said that some forms can be eliminated, which will help.

M

Mikhail Sudbin

I agree with Michael. You should keep only what is used. Also you may think about different classes of control to balance your efforts.

For example, some sensitive information may have class 1 control and stored in configuration management system with change control and other heavy-weight procedures. Some information (class 2) may be used just for reference and bulked into folder on the sever.

I usually aim at defining record storage policy. Each division (program) has its own relevant way to store information. However they are required to have record index, where they provide taxonomy of their data. Taxonomy includes data origin, control class, storage location and other properties. I audit if all used data is classified correctly and handled according to its class. Of course, record index is not too granular: it has entries like "Problem reports" or "Manuals", rather than "PR 1" or "Manual for ...".

M

mbr22m

Thanks, Mikhail. I just counted our new forms and we have 70 total right not =-O. So I'm hoping some can be weeded out. I like the idea of classes, as some records need to be more controlled than others (e.g. Engineering stores STCs in a safe)

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

As you have posted in the AS9100 sub-forum., Please look into the following:
1. Your Statutory and Regulatory requirements
2. Your Customer requirements
3. Your QMS requirements

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
I Date of Quality Management System - Training Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
K Integrating acquired existing product into Quality Management System Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Writing Minutes (Records) from Management Review Meetings Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
S Integrating a Multi-Management System - What documents & records must we have? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
AnaMariaVR2 ISO Publishes Management System Standards for Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
Sidney Vianna ISO 30301:2011 - Information and Documentation - Management Systems for Records Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
G Minutes (Records) from a Management Review Meeting Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
T Is it a requirement of 9001:2008 to have Management Training Records? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
K Definition Files Management vs Records Management - What are the distinctions? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 10
T Outsourced Records Management Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
A Competency Records Management - How do you manage your training/competency records? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
B ISO 15489 Information and Documentation - Records Management Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 9
O Records management procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Risk Management Standards - Hospital Information System (electronic health records) Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 4
V What are all the documents and records to be add for the management review meeting? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
Q Signature on Management Review Minutes - Quality Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Application of Electronic Records & Signatures in Calibration Management Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
F Risk + Disaster Assessment, Fire Alarm, etc. - Records Management Business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Training Requirements for Senior Management - Are training records required? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 16
L ISO 15489: International Records Management Standard - Who is using it and why? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
L TS 16949 - How do you handle and control Management Review Records? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 14
M ISO 15489 Records Management Standard Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
Marc Refusing to Show Management Review Records or Minutes Management Review Meetings and related Processes 24
T Controlled Forms or documented requirements for records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
L Stage 2 audit - Requirement for 3 months of records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
qualprod Records where apply and stop recording everything? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
qualprod From paper to Electronic (records) in the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C Compliance with ISO 17025 requirement 8.4.2 - Controls - Records recovery ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
J Controlled information versus defined documents / records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
I When do FORMs and Log Files become Records? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
S Validation Records - Very young QMS Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
J Integrity of electronic digital records - Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Medical device related standards or regulations - Disposed records log ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Manufacturing solutions and keeping records on quality Content CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Maintaining Equipment Records - We use a manual system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Q AS9120B flow down to external providers: Records Retention AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
F ISO 17025:2017 Format for Procedure and Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Training records and "grandfather" clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Dr Training Records - Training doctors to use a PMA approved medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Documenting Customer Complaints (Records) Customer Complaints 6
M Informational EU – Hearing on the SCHEER preliminary Guidelines on the presence of Phthalates in certain medical devices (Brussels, 04 April 2019) – Summary records Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
I ISO 9001:2015 - On the Job Training and Records Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A Records required for ISO 9001 clause 7.1.5.1 - Fitness for purpose of the monitoring and measurement resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Informational USFDA – Radiological Health Regulations; Amendments to Records and Reports for Radiation Emitting Electronic Products; Amendments to Performance Stand Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L GMDN code wanted - Software for handling records Service Industry Specific Topics 9
I Training records and levels - When does training NOT need a record? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13