Records of New Processes for AS9100 - AS 9100 certification audit

T

tkevmoore

Our transition from ISO 9001 to AS 9100 (revision B) meant that we had to create and document several new processes (Raw Material Validation, Production Tool Validation, etc.). Even though we have known the certification schedule for several months, things being what they are, the processes weren't documented until recently.

I was very concerned that I wouldn't have records of these new processes for our upcoming certification audit. However I have been told that you just need to have the process documented for the certification audit and evidence for the following surveillance audit. Sound correct?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

rclanzillotto

Re: New processes for certification audit

Are these new procedures in effect and being implemented. I'd expect records from the effective date. If there is no production since the effective date of the procedure, then explain that to the auditor. Best regards

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: New processes for certification audit

However I have been told that you just need to have the process documented for the certification audit and evidence for the following surveillance audit. Sound correct?
Absolutely NOT. Audit conclusions must be based on OBJECTIVE EVIDENCE. A typical management system audit must verify that a system is implemented and it is effective.

Having a piece of paper describing a process is a start, but NEVER sufficient evidence to demonstrate to a knowledgeable auditor that a process is implemented.

Good auditors would expect you to demonstrate implementation, not only documentation.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
I was very concerned that I wouldn't have records of these new processes for our upcoming certification audit. However I have been told that you just need to have the process documented for the certification audit and evidence for the following surveillance audit. Sound correct?
I agree with Sidney. Whoever told you that was misinformed. That's a great way to end up with major nonconformities.

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
Getting back on point. You may not need a documented procedure for the items you list. It might be in your best interest to do so, but their are only a few topics listed in the standard that must have documented procedures.

If those items are not among the list, and you can function effectively without it being documented, you don't need to document it.

Here is a list of procedures that must be documented as I have identified them (I don't know if I have identified them all so use this list at your own risk).

Required Procedures

ISO 9001:2000 & AS9100 Revision B

1. Control of Documents (4.2.3)
2. Control of Records (4.2.4)
3. Internal Audit (8.2.2)
4. Control of Nonconforming Product (8.3)
5. Corrective Action (8.5.2)
6. Preventive Action (8.5.3)

AS9100 Revision B

7. Documented Procedures Clearly Referenced (4.2.2)
8. Control of Supplier Records (4.2.4)
9. Control of Production Equipment (7.5.1.3)
10. Responsibility for review & authority for disposition of nonconforming product (8.3)

Hi,
it is good that you came to forum before finalising the certification audit date.:)
In addition to appropriate comments of my friends, I would like to remind you following.
If you refer AS9100 Rev.B,1.scope,1.1 General,you would find following "This International Standard specifies requirements for a quality management system where an organization
a) needs to demonstrate its ability to consistently provide product that meets customer and applicable regulatory requirements, and "

So you need to demonestrate to your auditor that you have met your customer requirements consistently.How do you do that without proper records?:rolleyes:

My suggestion would be: run your processes as per your documents for six months (at least),ensure all required records are available for this period and then invite the CB to do your audit.It would be enjoyable for both.:agree1:

If you have received the idea/assertion from a CB that only documents are required for the audit,it would be better for you to find an alternative CB which demands to see records and verify processes for adequacy and appropriateness as per documents.:tg:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Records for outsourced special processes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
Q From paper to Electronic (records) in the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C Compliance with ISO 17025 requirement 8.4.2 - Controls - Records recovery ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
J Controlled information versus defined documents / records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
I When do FORMs and Log Files become Records? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
S Validation Records - Very young QMS Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
J Integrity of electronic digital records - Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
J Medical device related standards or regulations - Disposed records log ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Manufacturing solutions and keeping records on quality Content CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Maintaining Equipment Records - We use a manual system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Q AS9120B flow down to external providers: Records Retention AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
F ISO 17025:2017 Format for Procedure and Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Date of Quality Management System - Training Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
I Training records and "grandfather" clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
J Dr Training Records - Training doctors to use a PMA approved medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Documenting Customer Complaints (Records) Customer Complaints 6
M Informational EU – Hearing on the SCHEER preliminary Guidelines on the presence of Phthalates in certain medical devices (Brussels, 04 April 2019) – Summary records Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
I ISO 9001:2015 - On the Job Training and Records Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A Records required for ISO 9001 clause 7.1.5.1 - Fitness for purpose of the monitoring and measurement resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Informational USFDA – Radiological Health Regulations; Amendments to Records and Reports for Radiation Emitting Electronic Products; Amendments to Performance Stand Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L GMDN code wanted - Software for handling records Service Industry Specific Topics 9
I Training records and levels - When does training NOT need a record? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Q Correction of records - FAR or DFAR? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
J Referencing Medical Device in FDA records - Package contains several other components Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M AS9100D Competence and Training Records - X-Ray AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
C Karl Fischer Titrators and 21 CTR Part 11 and Paper Records Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
J Calibration/Verification Records (IATF 16949 7.1.5.2.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
I GMP 21 CFR Part 11 Electronic Records Compliance Project Help Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
P Minor Non-Conformance - Maintenance Records Not Fully Completed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
S Where to keep Enterprise Resource Planning software (ERP) Validation Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Do Forms and Templates ALWAYS become Records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S What records are required to show compliance to ISO 13485:2016? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T MDR - Regarding the “Retention Period” of Documents and Records CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
Q Do hard copies of quality records have to be retained? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.2.1 - Calibration and Verification Records Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S. Moore Record Retention - How long must a company keep the following records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
R Custom Records and Quality Systems - Products that change frequently Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
A Alternative to keeping hard copy records that is 21 CFR part 11 compliant Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
S ISO 13485 Cl. 4.2.5 - Requirements for Control of Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q AS9100/AS1180-1 - Handling of Equipment and Calibration Records AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
B Quality Records - Should any record be signed? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Records Destroyed - Hurricane Harvey has likely destroyed our Quality Systems Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
L Inspection Checksheets (Records) Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.2.1 - Gauges (Measuring Jigs) Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
O Start Up Approval Dimension Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
V Use of e-records and e-Signatures in Clinical Investigations Under 21 CFR part 11 Q&A Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Q Of these documents which have to be Live Documents and which ones Records? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4