Recruiting Trained Individuals for QC Positions

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
I struggle to fill higher skilled QC positions with trained individuals. From a recruiting standpoint, what has worked (or hasn't) for you?

My last search for engineer warranted a lot of resumes, but few who actually had the skills or degree required. We're about to embark on a posting for an advanced CMM programmer, and am hoping to shake some different trees than we have in the past.

Thanks in advance.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
I do not envy you. My recruiting experiences have rarely ended with my getting the level of talent I was hoping to find, especially for specific tool set like you're looking for.

And if you do find them, often the organization won't pay them well enough to retain them long term.

There is a long training curve, but you may need to hire the individual with the people skills and aptitude that you'd like to have, and train them the technical stuff you wish they had. That is not a bad approach when you have the luxury of time.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
I struggle to fill higher skilled QC positions with trained individuals. From a recruiting standpoint, what has worked (or hasn't) for you?

My last search for engineer warranted a lot of resumes, but few who actually had the skills or degree required. We're about to embark on a posting for an advanced CMM programmer, and am hoping to shake some different trees than we have in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Listing skills and the required paperwork is one thing...many people think or say they have it:

• Degree type required
  • Ability to program in [insert programming language]
  • Able to read engineering drawings
  • And so on...

There is very little here that provides insight into WHO the candidate is.

I like to include characteristics and soft skills that are aligned with who I am (if I'm going to be their supervisor) and with the organization:

• Independent, self-movtivated
  • Able to juggle multiple priorities and lead projects with overlapping timelines
  • Communicates in the language of the audience
  • Able to coach and mentor junior team members so that delegation of activities can confidently occur

Stuff like that doesn't appear on most resumes - and I wish it did.

When I scan resumes, I also look for more than WHAT they did, I look for HOW they did it (always alone or always with a team are red flags for me) and HOW it added value (I don't care if you revamped the engineering drawing library...tell me how it helped with drawing control, time to locate a drawing, etc.).

I also look for keywords - this can be accomplished electronically; if a certain % of the keywords aren't there (depends on the amount of resumes received), they aren't looked at.

I look at their work experience and tenure with those companies...a new company every couple of years (especially if there isn't a demonstrated promotion) is a red flag.

Skills and the paperwork are nice, don't get me wrong, but it's important to look for other stuff, as well.

We are struggling with this as well. Looking to hire QE, Inspector and entry-level NDT positions.

We are to point now if we could get what we feel to be a qualified inspector, we would start his/her training in NDT.

Kingsld1

Involved In Discussions
Same problem here. We have a difficult time just finding someone who can read a basic print and do simple layout inspection.

Doesn't help that about a quarter of the team are temporary employees. This combined with an eighteen month absolutely non-renewable contract makes for constant turnover and wasted time retraining people.

We've had an ad out since April for a Senior QC inspector with CMM programming skills. We've only had one person apply worth talking to and they wanted way more money then what the company was willing to pay.

We've sent two people out for beginning CMM programming training. Only one of them seems to be getting it.

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
We've sent two people out for beginning CMM programming training. Only one of them seems to be getting it.

I've sent 4 people to Zeiss training in as many years, but only retained 2. Neither are ready for the advanced course, so we're forced to outsource the more difficult parts. Company is willing to pay, but I've no idea where to look.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
I've sent 4 people to Zeiss training in as many years, but only retained 2. Neither are ready for the advanced course, so we're forced to outsource the more difficult parts. Company is willing to pay, but I've no idea where to look.

If they're willing to pay for the right person to be hired, are they also willing to pay to have the right company look for this person? There are probably hiring agencies in your area that specialize in looking for these technically-advanced people and they come with a database/pool of people to choose from, as well.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Have you tried looking for veterans? The Navy has QC inspectors and NDT inspectors from repair ship duty, but they might need their quals to be transferred to civilian. The Navy also has sheetmetal mechanics who can do layout and might cheerfully take a blueprint reading course. As I recall, I took my blueprint reading course while active duty.

You could also advertise on your local ASQ chapter's web site.

Temping may be a problem. The best people may be looking for stability and compensation that matches their skills.

There are few degree programs for QA, and ASQ certs are a good start instead because very few of us head for degree programs as youngsters. Most skilled QA people started on the job floor.

Can you share your advertisement?

Top Bottom