Recyclable Symbols - Corporate Requirement - Plastic caps, used for tamper evidency

S

Shannon - 2007

:(

Hi all,
I need to know if the following is an issue I need to worry about:
We have a Corporate requirement that states our plastic caps, used for tamper evidency, need to have a recycable symbol.
Our caps have a chasing arrow on them, but I recently learned that these chasing arrow symbols do NOT mean the item is recycable. Rather, the plastics industry adopted this symbol in 1988 to identify the resins used. (Ref - Earth Island Journal, Fall 1996)
Here is my question:
Will a BSI auditor know that these symbols are not recyclable symbols?
Will I get a NC for not complying to our requirement?
Or, am I worried for nothing?

Shannon

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Hey Shannon,

I'm a BSI auditor and I know, and guess what, I'm gonna tell everyone else now!!!! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

No, I'm not gonna tell, you are.

You're going to identify "other requirements" as is required in 4.3.2, and you going to committ to complying to them in 4.2. You're also going to identify the caps as an aspect over which you can control (or at least have an influence over) in 4.3.1 and most probably identify them as significant (also 4.3.1). Now if this is really a strong corporate requirement, and you aren't meeting it you may then want to set an objective and target for doing so in 4.3.3 and of course align an environmental management program with the O&T 4.3.4. Keep on going from here, OK?

Don't worry about jumping through hoops here. Do your basic work and you'll be fine.

Oh yes, welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Sterile barrier system symbols - Label redlines for a Class III device (Kit Box) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B Does EN ISO 15223-1:2016 include the graphic symbols to be added to software and IFU? Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
S How to decide which medical device symbols go on label and labeling? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S REF and CE mark symbols on multi-component device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
TechnicalGuy Colour of symbols on Medical Device labelling and packaging Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Informational Medtech Europe guidance – Use of Symbols to Indicate Compliance with the MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
S Symbols - Device label versus Packaging label ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
E CE marked IVD - Does the "IVD" symbols needs to be in the IFUs? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J CE Marking Requirements and IEC 60617 - Electrical Schematics Symbols CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
E Where can I buy ISO-15223-1 CD with graphic symbols? Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
E ISO 15223-1 (Medical Device Label Symbols) - Revisions, EU commission? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
K Which Symbols are used in Process flow diagrams? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K EN ISO 15223-1:2012 Clarification or Examples on when to use Safety Symbols Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
K Color to be used for the Packing box Symbols Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M Final rule on use of symbols on labeling - Symbols without text under some conditions Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
S Family / Generic type of FMEA & Control Plan and Symbols FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Labeling Symbols for EU - E.g. EN980 - Dimension, color, font, etc. Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
I JIS T 0307:2004 Medical devices -- Symbols to be used with medical device labels Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
E Unfamiliar Blueprint Symbol - Hex Symbols Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M Words as Symbols in Software EU Medical Device Regulations 7
J Medical Device Labeling and Symbols - US and EU Requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
C Device Labeling - Safety Symbols for Washbasin with a Submerged Pump EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L Device Labeling - Stand Alone Symbols of ISO15223 no longer FDA recognized Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Jim Wynne GD&T Symbols: Lost in Translation Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Q Symbols - Consult Instructions for Use Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
S Use of Exact Text with the Graphical Symbols in User Guides EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Using STERILE symbols on outside and inside packaging EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Where to buy IEC60601-1 Symbols IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
R Please help me with Welding Symbols Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A Where to download free Medical Device Symbols 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
Marc Did Stone Age cavemen talk to each other in symbols? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
optomist1 Profile of a Surface - Applying Profile of a Surface Geometric Control Symbols Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
E IVD Label Symbols - IVD with Human Serum as Control - Biohazardous? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C Where can I download the EN 980:2008 Medical Device IFU Symbols? Other Medical Device Related Standards 16
A FDA Requirements for the Use of Symbols on Medical Device Labels US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 36
Sam Lazzara Medical Device Labels - Use Symbols Not Words Other Medical Device Related Standards 19
R Accounting for (Symbols for) Data Collection Points in Process Maps Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
D WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) Directive & Use of Symbols EU Medical Device Regulations 17
B IEC 60601 Annex D Symbols needed - I am missing Annex D from my standard IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
F Special or Key Characteristics Standards and Symbols IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Marc What are those symbols on the back of the iPhone? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
E Comments on our 510k submission - Symbols in our device labeling were not described 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C Process Flow Chart Symbols Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
B Need guidance for getting EN 980 Medical Symbols Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
T Symbols on Fitted Normal Curves on Histograms (Minitab 15)? Using Minitab Software 5
R Use of EN 980 and ISO 15223 Symbols for Non Medical Mevices Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
R Text associated with EN 980 Symbols Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
bio_subbu ISO 15223-2 for safer use of symbols with Medical Devices - Released new standard Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K IFU (Instructions for Use) Label Symbols Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 16
J Storage temperature requirements/symbols EU Medical Device Regulations 5