Red tag or not to Red tag...

S

Skyking115

My company is in the process of ISO 9001 certification and my question is when do you use a red tag as opposed to a nonconformance?

J

Jim Biz

Good question gmac we may be better able to help with additional info. But I'll realte some things that may be useful to understanding the issue.

Our system employs but 3 tags relating to ISO required actions 4.8 identification 4.12 inspection status and 4.13 nonconforming material control ALL carry a minimum of part identification/and movement destination information.
1) green = acceptable product=(Process at will)
2) Red = Nonconforming (do not process-until disposition has been determned possible defectives)
3) White = Final inspected -(Passed ready for shipment)

We have the luxury to be able to "Direct Scrap" all "red tagged" nonconforming items that turn out to be ture defects,(after allowable disposition decisions have been made) without going to another color identified "DEFECTIVE SCRAP THESE ONLY" tag identifer.

BUT I have been involved with some systems where this can not easily be done and individual BLUE = nonconforming -(isolate & decide on these) and "Red"=(decision made-defective scrap these) tags are used.

So to answer Sky's question in our system I would say "red tag anything that is suspected to contain nonconforming items" anytime anyplace found. Disposition of the isolated defects to a scrap bin upon sort can be immidiate - green tag the goods' and move on from there. Record to satisfy 4.13 and determine documented corrective action according to the 4.14 standards wording.

If the Red tag is used as a "SCRAP these" identifier then I would think you should Red Tag ONLY AFTER all other routes for disposition have been exhausted due to scrap cost factors.
1) deviation to spec has been refused
2) rework steps have been ruled out
3) Regrade for alternative applications has been decided against.

That's about all I could do until we know more about what the Red tag in the question really stands for.
Hope this sheds a bit of light on the subject anyway.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions

When your procedure tells you to.... You run the show

Top Bottom