Redacted 510(k)s - Example wanted

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Yup, unicorns abound.
Sorry, scratch that.

Al,

I'm here to share and help (and the record would prove that), but there's only a fine line between "generous" sharing and rude abuse of good will. If I (or anyone) have put in a lot of time and work into preparing something (not to mention years of learning things the hard way), I don't necessarily want to give it away as a freebie but I might be open to negotiating a fair compensation for my efforts, should anyone be interested. The fact that someone didn't plan or budget properly and "doesn't have money" is not particularly moving as far as I'm concerned. Sorry if that's too harsh on anyone.

To me the key word is "fair".
Ronen, my comment was not directed to you. It was directed to thinqbetter. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Ronen, my comment was not directed to you. It was directed to thinqbetter. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
On the contrary, it was perfectly clear and no apology is required. My rant was directed at the seemingly growing frequency at which people ask for "big" work products here - totally inappropriately IMO - and the disturbing sentiment that anyone expecting a fair return on their (sometimes career-long) efforts is just greedy or ungenerous. Sorry for abusing your post for making my point - I couldn't help it... :)

People, I have the utmost respect to the DIY approach, but its Y actually stands for "yourself". You get stuck sometimes, that's fine - there are a lot of good people here to spot-help. But asking people to hand out their hard-earned work products for nothing, just because it's too easy to ask online anonymously, is plain rude IMO. Yes, Elsmar's moto is "People Helping People" but that implies reciprocity. You give some, you get some, preferably in that order I think.

Last edited:

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
I think you have misunderstood me saying ‘generous’ as meaning I am asking for someone to sell me this! I was meaning in a light hearted way that someone might be willing to share a redacted a file that they had.
I have my 20 (well 21actually) but I don’t know if I have included enough detail or not formatted in a correct way. We are a small company and don’t have the money to involve consultants, yet we want to try and ensure the submission goes as smoothly as possible. I just thought someone might have a redacted submission that gave enough detail to be useful as the ones on the FDA website do not really help in my opinion.
I understood what you were requesting and I don't think anyone would be able to even sell you a "lightly" redacted 510k. There is too much proprietary information within one. If you've already submitted 20 or 21, you should be more confident, Take your shot and submit your 510k. The reviewer will give you feedback. The only cost will be some time.

Dobby1979

Involved In Discussions
Yup, unicorns abound.
Sorry, scratch that.

Al,

I'm here to share and help (and the record would prove that), but there's only a fine line between "generous" sharing and rude abuse of good will. If I (or anyone) have put in a lot of time and work into preparing something (not to mention years of learning things the hard way), I don't necessarily want to give it away as a freebie but I might be open to negotiating a fair compensation for my efforts, should anyone be interested. The fact that someone didn't plan or budget properly and "doesn't have money" is not particularly moving as far as I'm concerned. Sorry if that's too harsh on anyone.

To me the key word is "fair".

If my posting caused you offence then I apologise Ronen. I understand the hard work that people would have put in to their submissions and I did not expect someone to just say 'here, take the whole submission', just something more than you can see on the FDA website, and more recent to that point!

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
in a generous mood
It's not a matter of generosity. It's a matter of proprietary and confidential information and of non-disclosure agreements.

a slightly redacted file
You might contact FOI Services and tell them you want to purchase a 510(k), doesn't matter how old it is or what type of device, just cheap and lightly redacted. They may be able and willing to find one for you.

We are a small company and don’t have the money to involve consultants
The hard reality is that the money available to develop a product is not determined by the size of the company that wants to develop it, but by the perceived market value of the product. When management keeps saying "we can't afford it" what they are really telling you is "our product isn't worth it."

Ssrirama

Registered
Hi Dobby, were you able to get the complete submission of the redacted version from the FDA link that was shared? When I checked I could access only the summary and not the full submission. Did I miss anything?

Hi All.

Does anyone have a redacted (not to the FDA level) submission that they would be willing to share? I am moving closer to my first submission and I would like to compare against something to see if I am adding too much or too little detail!

I appreciate that all submissions are different but if anybody has anything, it would be a great help.

Please feel free to private message rather than post on here if you can help at all.

Thanks

Watchcat

When I checked I could access only the summary and not the full submission. Did I miss anything?

I found this confusing as well. I have heard you can access some redacted 510(k)s directly. This thread has me wondering if some people are confusing the 510(k) summaries with redacted 510(k)s. I think the link you followed may identify those 510(k)s for which a redaction is available. I think you may be able to find the redacted 510(k) here:

Electronic Reading Room

Mark Meer

Hi Dobby1979

If you're concerned about certain aspects of your submission, I strongly suggest taking advantage of the FDA's Q-Sub (Pre-Submission) program.
It will allow you to ask pointed questions, and get FDA feedback - either in writing or a teleconference meeting. You can ask about your concerns (formatting, enough information,...etc.).

And best of all - especially, as you say, you've got limited resources - it's free (for now, anyway...)!

Best,
MM

Top Bottom