Reduce risks as far as possible - Quartz Crystal

Hello,

I am in the process of minimizing risks for a medical product based on ISO 14971. The norm states that I have to reduce each risk as far as possible, which leads to quite absurd cases where it is really hard for me to determine whether I have to perform mitigation actions.
I am working on the case, that a quartz crystal that provides the time base for a microcontroller might fail. Based on its nature, an integrated quartz crystal should pretty much never fail or oscillate with the wrong frequency. However, the probability is not zero (it never is). In this improbable case, risk mitigation is possible, but excessively difficult and complex. Do I have to perform such mitigation actions or can I argue that the likelihood of a quartz crystal failing or being out of tune is inconceivable? I do not know if there is any possibility of seeing the use of quartz crystals without monitoring the output as state of the art.

Thank you for any input, I am happy for each idea or discussion.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Back in 2014, the NBs got together and discussed this very issue. They published a "Consensus Paper for the Interpretation and Application of Annexes Z in EN ISO 14971:2012" (copy attached). In essence, they say economic considerations will always be relevant but to just be transparent and document the endpoint criteria of risk reduction.

Attachments

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
Specifically with respect to quartz crystals as timekeepers:
  1. They are industry-standard, state-of-the-art, accepted components for the task identified.
  2. They typically fail in catastrophic ways
On the second point, as far as I know the failure mode of the technology is "not working" as opposed to "drifting accuracy". It is possible to have a discrete crystal oscillator fail in an intermittent way; every time I have observed this (and it has been rare) it was from a physical shock to the (powered) PCBA with the crystal that caused imperfections/defects in the oscillator to stop oscillating (when the shock was applied).

Thank you very much for the provided information! I just read the Consensus Paper, which is quite an important piece of information.

Concerning the quartz as a timekeeper: the state-of-the-art argument is always nice, but does it conclude that the use of one quartz without some kind of redundant quartz is sufficient? I simply do not know, if other manufacturers maybe have two crystals built into a device and compare the time base. In that case, this is the state-of-the-art, which I then need to fulfill, or am I mistaken?

ThatSinc

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'm currently being asked, for each risk identified, to justify how it has been reduced as far as possible.

The procedure, and policy, for risk reduction includes the requirement to reduce as far as possible, taking into consideration state of the art.

If you have determined that the probability of harm and overall risk is acceptable, are using industry standard methodologies, and you can justify that further controls wouldn't make the risk any lower in any meaningful way you should be okay.

Where a technological standard is used, it is relatively easy to show that you are meeting what is considered state of the art, but even in those situations you *can* reduce risk further, so I can understand your concern and I'm trying to figure out how to document it myself.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
I am not in medical...but I am a ceramic engineer and a mineralogist...

A quartz crystal failing in a timing application...that ain't gonna happen...period.
You have a much higher chance of the device being confiscated by aliens.
Quartz oscillation is a fundamental property of matter and vibration...the metal contact will turn into grape jelly first.

Other parts of the timing circuit failing, sure...like not being able to use or sense the oscillation.
The crystal itself will oscillate at the same frequency until it is broken...then the pieces will oscillate at that frequency but you won't know it.

If it were me, I would not even list that as a failure mode unless you list spontaneous metal jelly-fication too.

HTH

Tidge

Concerning the quartz as a timekeeper: the state-of-the-art argument is always nice, but does it conclude that the use of one quartz without some kind of redundant quartz is sufficient? I simply do not know, if other manufacturers maybe have two crystals built into a device and compare the time base. In that case, this is the state-of-the-art, which I then need to fulfill, or am I mistaken?
You cannot implement two "sources of authority". Even attempting to arbitrate/switch between them would introduce more failure modes.

Thanks again, that is really good input for my problems! I was simply not sure how "safe" a quartz can be. And the arguments you list are probably sufficient for arguing about the benefit-risk-ratio, or as proposed, I will drop the quartz failure, because it is as irrelevant as the failure of a resistor, which I would never consider. And the two "sources of authority" also shows me, that mitigation actions would not be productive, but impeding.
It is superb that I can receive that kind of information from you guys, thank you a lot! Especially because I can apply these concepts to many other problems!

Ninja

Looking for Reality
LOL...Resistors are often ceramic (typically RuO2 based)...
I, personally, WOULD list resistor drift if the device were to operate at any temp above ~40C for any long period of time (years)...but I would give it the minimum likelihood. Electronics inside passively heat-sinked enclosures (no fan) can run at 40C easily.

Alright, then I will take this into consideration. Maybe the required amount of work for covering all resistors is not that big, in case that most of them will not impede with the device functionality in case there is a drift. I mean I already thought through failure of all components on an abstract level, a faulty resistor will also lead to a faulty component, so this should be covered quite fast. The same should hold for ceramic capacitors, I guess.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Sample Size rationale to reduce size and use special levels EU Medical Device Regulations 6
PQ Systems 5 Ways to Reduce Stress on Your Next Audit Using GAGEpack Software 0
C Can I reduce P1 to zero? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 15
S Advice on how to reduce overhead of handling non-conforming material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
M Reduce occurrence rating based on the PMS data and customer complaint data ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
C Stress / Challenge Conditions for Design Verification Testing to Reduce Sample Size 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
A How to reduce the process SPC monitoring Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
adir88 Information of safety can reduce risk now? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce Risk likelihood and impact Post control Ranking after corrective action taken for risk? FMEA and Control Plans 1
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
W Duplicated Gauges want to reduce calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Methods to reduce relative humidity in Datacenter IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
O How do reduce the risk of suppliers having similar problems? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
R Employee diet to reduce absenteeism and increase productivity Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 24
B Proactive efforts to reduce risk - PFMEA risk reduction activities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
N How to reduce RPN of Visual Inspection Process FMEA and Control Plans 6
2 High-tech medical equipment to reduce medication errors Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 5
M Is That Plating Wave Washer will reduce its stiffness? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
C How to Reduce Inspection Frequency in Metal Stamping Company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
C Design of Experiments to Reduce Variation in a Lathe Operation Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 9
D How to reduce the number of Quality Inspectors Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
S Using ANSI/ASQ Z1.4 to Reduce Impact of Field Service Campaign AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
P How to reduce or shut off Compressed Air for Painting Robots Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P How to Reduce or Eliminate Inspection on an Assembly Line Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
Sidney Vianna ISO 14006 - New Standard to Reduce Environmental Impacts of Products and Services Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
D How to Reduce Sampling and get the same MTTF (Mean Time to Faliure) Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
J Reduce 50 Work Instructions into 12 Key Processes Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 8
A Can we reduce documents checking percentage on supplier certificates? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
T How do I Reduce Frequency of Receiving Inspection Testing for Quality Control Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
A PFMEA (Process FMEA) Detection Rating - Actions to Reduce RPN FMEA and Control Plans 3
S What to do if no further control possible to reduce the OHS risk? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 16
S How to Reduce the Cost of Broken Measurement Equipment Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
M Plastic Mold Approval - What are the ways to reduce mold approval cycle? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
A How to Reduce Printed Paper Waste Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 47
P Does Six Sigma Project have to Reduce Variability? What about a mean shift to target? Six Sigma 6
M Does Disciplinary Action Reduce Operator Errors? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 80
A Control Chart to Track Effectiveness of Actions to Reduce Scrap Rate Six Sigma 7
P Attempting to reduce sample size - The "best" statistical technique to use Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
Sidney Vianna ISO Guide 64 will help reduce environmental impacts of products Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
B On Time Delivery Question - Project to reduce late shipments Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
T Using SPC Control Charts to Reduce AQL Sample Size AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 16
R CMM Machine upgrade - Ways to reduce CMM inspection cycle time Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
D Project to Reduce Destructive Sampling in Crimping Process Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J Customer wants to Reduce GD&T Tolerances on Sheet Metal Subassemblies Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
Y Can I reduce the Sample Size? Sampling check of more than 1,000 pieces daily Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 25
Douglas E. Purdy Classification of Suppliers & Control Plans to Reduce Receiving Inspection FMEA and Control Plans 6
R Tool Kits to Reduce Direct Time on Milling Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
D When do you reduce SPC sampling? And How? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
J Cost Down! - Reduce Manpower Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
R 100% Visual Inspection - Would you Remove or Reduce the Visual Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9