Reduced Inspection & SPC

L

lee01

Okay here goes. . . .

Lets say we have a production run or 1 item per month (perhaps), we 100% digitally inspect (CMM) every that part every time. We need to start to reduce the inspection time allocated. How do we do this? There are several options:

1, Inspect 10 off to determine capability etc and then start to reduce inspection to inspect 1 miss 1, inspect 1 miss 2, inspect 1 miss 3 etc. Therefore reducing the inspection required whilst still inspecting the part as it comes through.

2, Once we have a proven stable process (inspect 10 @ 100%) start to reduce the number of measurement points inspected. Therefore previously you measured 500 points on a surface, you now only measure 250 points. The problem with this is that you will have the set up time and CMM tie up remaining.

Is there any advice or suggestion out their so we can apply this? Remember, we do not have any constant production runs so the usual sampling plans do not seem to apply.

Lee01

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bob_M

Ignoring Statistics and sampling plans for a moment...
Why are you 100% inspecting these parts?
Customer requirement?
Internal Requirment?
Unstable Process and/or high rejects?

IF you are not required to 100% inspect, (correct me if I'm wrong) its up to you and your capabilities to determine the necessary inspection rate for you needs.

BTW - I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can recommend reduces rates if you provide more details and production run quantities.

L

lee01

We are making approx. 1 item per month (Aerospace). We are inspecting 100 % on every feature because the inspectors will not stamp off the documentation without inspecting the item.

HELP REQUIRED

B

Bob_M

Originally posted by lee01
We are making approx. 1 item per month (Aerospace). We are inspecting 100 % on every feature because the inspectors will not stamp off the documentation without inspecting the item.

HELP REQUIRED
(Don't quote me I'm far from an expert but...)

On the surface if you are literally only making ONE part part per month (for areospace none the less) 100% inspection sounds like a good idea.

If your customer does not require this 100% inspection WHY are you doing it that way?

If you have not proven stability to YOURSELVES YET how can you justify reducing inspections?

If you have proven stablity to YOURSELVES then change the control plan and inspection requirements. Then the inspector will HAVE to approve the documents and parts based on the DOCUMENTED requirements.

(Have I over simplified this? I've never worked for/in areospace so I may be missing alot here.)

D

David Hartman

lee01,

With some experience in Aerospace (1 complete assembly every 18 months), I have to pose the question: How stable is your design? The reason I ask, is that in my experience our design was in constant flux. Although we were contracted to assemble 8 "identical" units, customer requirements had a tendency to vary with each unit, supplier's (and their processes varied) - some of the materials procured were of such substantial size that we could not stock them, and had to have them made to order, and personnel performing the assembly processes varied. As a result 100% inspection was the best we could do.

Just a caution to ensure product and process stability prior to giving consideration to turning to sampling.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Reduced Receiving Inspection - Now What Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
Z Tracking Lots for Reduced and Tightened Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Successful Validation = Reduced Inspection? No Inspection?? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Reduced sampling plan for sterial products APQP and PPAP 0
A Reduced Testing of Pharmaceutical Raw Materials Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
B Integrating ISO 9001/27001 External Audits - Audit Time Reduced? Discounts? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
I Is risk acceptability really needed if all risks must be reduced as far as possible? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
E Number of medical device clinical trials has reduced by 20% in Korea Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
T Reduced Audit days when UPGRADING from AS9100 to TS16949 - Is it possible? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q Reduced Device License Fee was rejected for being sent in too early Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
G Reduced Insurance Premium with ISO 14001 or ISO 9001 Certification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
S How to make reduced sampling plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
W Reduced Sampling Plan - Going from a Normal to a Reduced Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Z Reduced Sampling based on Process Capability (AS9100 Standard) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
ScottK Maintaining an SPC program with reduced staffing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M AQL vs. Cpk - Sample Size and Reduced Sample Size AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 16
L ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2003 - Page 13 in reduced sampling code "M" sample size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
L Layout and flow improvements - Reduced walking time? Cost savings? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
N To Register to ISO 9001 or Not To Register? Will customer audits be reduced if we do? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Marc Quality In Tourism And Demand From People With Reduced Capabilities Service Industry Specific Topics 5
C Skip-Lot Testing and the FDA - Reduced Testing Plan for Raw Materials Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
B FMEA - Reduced Detection Ranking by Use of Preventative Maintenance FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Determining a tolerance value for Measuring devices in-house inspection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
P Need a programmer for QVI's VMS software for optical inspection machine Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
silentmonkey How to decide what characteristics need to be verified during incoming inspection? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Y What are different Special Inspection Level 1-4 and General spesification 1-3 ? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
J Mechanical inspection techniques of close tolerance parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
B GM GP-12 Exit Criteria - Additional Safe Launch Inspection - (Also see GM1927-28 ) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
S Process Inspection -Sub assembly process inspection sheet Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
C OEE and In-process Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
I Mother bobbin final inspection criteria Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Marc Visual Inspection - Color Vision Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
G Inspection Logs - Asked to remove an Inspection Sheet ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Skooma Receiving Inspection - Boss trying to save money AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
T Sample of 1st Article Inspection Report wanted APQP and PPAP 3
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A DCMA inspection for a drop-shipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S QUALITY OBJECTIVEs for third party garments factory inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Lean and Elimination of QC Inspection Points in a New factory Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
F FDA-registration and inspection cost 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I Receiving Inspection Requirement in IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Supplier related drawings and verification of process requirements - Source Inspection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Good Acceptance Activity/Inspection flowchart for reference - Wanted Please Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
K Inspection Certificate EN 10204 2.1 - Distribution company Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
S Improving Quality inspection gate in one piece flow manufacturing process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0