SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Reducing a Cpk which is higher than 1.33

O

oldman

Hello all,

I have a customer asking what we are going to do to get the Cpk results that are higher than 1.33, down to 1.33.

Is this something that anyone has come across before?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hello all,

I have a customer asking what we are going to do to get the Cpk results that are higher than 1.33, down to 1.33.

Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

Your customer is obviously confused. You should just reply and explain that for CpK results, the higher the better.

In a similar vein, a while back I submitted a PPAP package (to an automotive customer) that included an attributes gage study. The study indicated that there was 100% agreement between operators, which is the goal. The submission was rejected because, and I quote, "MSA results greater than 30% are not exceptable [sic]. See AIAG MSA 4th addition [sic]."

O

oldman

Thanks....that was my reaction, I was just caught a little off guard by the question and wanted to see if anyome else had run into it.

D

DrM2u

:lol: I like the responses from the other Covers, you have to take the situation with a grain of salt!

Unfortunately, I had a similar situation but there was some validity to it after further investigation. The problem was, the supplier had a process with very high Cp/Cpk, but targeted above the mean. The customer also had very high Cp/Cpk values, but targeted below the mean. Guess what: some of the parts would fail at assembly, even though they were well within the tolerances, so the customer asked for lower Cpk so more of the parts would fit. The supplier was a little smarter and re-targeted the process to match the customer's process and eliminate the problem.

What it comes down to is to know and understand your customer's (unspecified) requirements and how the parts you produced are used further.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
The problem was, the supplier had a process with very high Cp/Cpk, but targeted above the mean. The customer also had very high Cp/Cpk values, but targeted below the mean.
How can a process be "targeted above the mean"? Do you mean "nominal"?

Guess what: some of the parts would fail at assembly, even though they were well within the tolerances, so the customer asked for lower Cpk so more of the parts would fit. The supplier was a little smarter and re-targeted the process to match the customer's process and eliminate the problem.
What it comes down to is to know and understand your customer's (unspecified) requirements and how the parts you produced are used further.[/QUOTE]
It sounds like this was a request on the part of the customer for the supplier to give up half (or thereabouts) of the tolerance previously agreed to in order to avoid doing the obvious and changing the specifications.

O

oldman

Thank you all for your input.

The customer realized the error of his question when I stated that we would have to add more variation to the process to decrease the Cpk of 2.5 and higher.

It was a duh momment!

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thank you all for your input.

The customer realized the error of his question when I stated that we would have to add more variation to the process to decrease the Cpk of 2.5 and higher.

It was a duh momment!
A good story. This fits right in with the customer may not always be right, but the customer is always the customer. Sometimes the supplier needs to educate the customer. Glad to hear there was a happy ending.:agree1:

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello all,

It is not an unreasonable request actually....what they meant to say was, can you tigthen your specifications so the Cpk with the given variation would be 1.33....that you can do!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Reducing gaging frequency/High Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
I Reducing CE marking cost using manufacturer test reports CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
D Strategies for reducing software documentation burden IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 10
M Methods of reducing/eliminating the systematic component of error General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
O PFMEA - Reducing Severity (S) Ranking - Manufacturing Process Design Changes FMEA and Control Plans 4
B Reducing variation through multiple readings Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M Reducing Cost of Poor Quality - Your opinion requested Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
B EMC Repeat Justification - Reducing NRTL testing required after modification of ME IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Reducing cost of IEC 60601 3rd edition testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 14
J Reducing Variation via Multiple Readings Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
9 Ideas for reducing Human Error during Order Receipt Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
D Reducing Within Part Variation during a Gage R&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 26
Q Reducing the Frequency of Audits - Internal Audit Programme 2012 Internal Auditing 13
T Reducing End of the Line Skipped Rabbit Testing Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
S SMED on Punching Machine - Reducing Set-Up Time Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
Q Reducing the Frequency of a Production Line Test Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
M What is your most significant experience in Reducing Injection Moulding Cycle Time? Manufacturing and Related Processes 18
P ROI (Return on Investment) for Reducing Order to Fullfillment Lead Time Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Operation Control for Reducing Electricity Consumption Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 18
W Reducing Documentation for In-Process Inspections ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C Reducing Material Handling Costs - In-Floor Tow-Line Conveyor System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
R Chain Sampling Plan explanation and help - Reducing sample sizes (compared to Z1.4) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Reducing paperwork and placing in Systems electronically - Electronic documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
N Reducing Equipment Variation - Appraisal Variation - Newly developed product Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Reducing Engineering Change Orders Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
P Traffic, Distribution, Imports - Reducing Cost, Traffic Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 28
J Reducing Inspection Costs - Sampling Plans and Producer's Risk Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
T One Work Instruction instead of Many - Reducing Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
V Six Sigma Project on Reducing Plastic Injection Molding Rejects Six Sigma 10
K RPN reduction - Occurrance Reduction - Reducing occurance of defect on line FMEA and Control Plans 1
C Reducing Variation through Multiple Readings - MSA 3rd edition Chapter 5d Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
S Environmental Management Program - Reducing electric and fuel use, waste management Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 25
A Reducing The Amount Of Time Spent While Improving The Effectiveness Of Meetings QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
M Reducing both Detection and Occurance in a Design FMEA WITHOUT a Design Change FMEA and Control Plans 8
D Reducing the Number of SPC Charts used: We have many highly capable processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S Strategies for reducing Sampling on incoming bulk material - low volume, ingots Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Traceability - Reducing final inspections on separate lots QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
D Corrective Action Process Review - Reducing the scope of our NRS Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
R Cpk demands from automotive customer Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Q Can I use Cpk to compare if one part is usable in another part? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
C Capability in sewing processes CP,CPk,PP,PPk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
G What's the difference between 1.32 and 1.33 Cpk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
W LTPD, AQL, Ppk and Cpk validation sampling plan table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
M Cp and Cpk for straightness and parallelism Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
Q Capability - CPk comparison values Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
D Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
K Analysis variation among the lots during cpk calculation. Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Recommendation for user friendly Gaga R&R and Cpk software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
A How to set up Continuous CpK monitoring of an injection mold process Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
A Interpretation with regards to Ppk > Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14