Reducing both Detection and Occurance in a Design FMEA WITHOUT a Design Change

M

MSAFAI

Hi everybody,

The following question has kept me awake to this hour (it is now about 4 o'clock AM where I live):

In the DFMEA example given in the QS9000 FMEA manual, in more than one occasion you come across a reduction of both D and O WITHOUT any design changes. It seems as if reducing D will reduce O. Whereas, the manual states "the only way to bring a reduction in the occurence number is to change the design".

Can anyone explain this apparant contradiction between the manual's text and the manual's example?

Thanks in advance
MSAFAI

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

Originally posted by MSAFAI:
Dear Al,

Please have a look at the DFMEA example given in the QS9000 FMEA manual. I quote from the manual two cases, column 'Actions Taken':

" Test results (test no 1481) show specified thickness is adequate ... "

or another case:

" evaluation showed adequate access"

Regards,
MSAFAI

I'm looking at the same page you are. This is a design FMEA. Wouldn't a change under actions taken be a design change?

ASD...

M

MSAFAI

Originally posted by Al Dyer:
MSAFAI:

How did you deduce that there was no design change?

ASD...
Dear Al,

Please have a look at the DFMEA example given in the QS9000 FMEA manual. I quote from the manual two cases, column 'Actions Taken':

or another case:

" evaluation showed adequate access"

Regards,
MSAFAI

M

MSAFAI

Dear Al,

Do you mean there has been a 'design change' or there has not?

The sentences I quoted from the FMEA manual seem to sugges there has been no design change. Do you agree?

Regards,
MSAFAI

A

Al Dyer

MSAFAI:

Under the actions taken (page 12 AIAG FMEA) I look at the statement that says "based on test, 3 additional vent holes provided in affected areas."

I would consider that a change in design.

I work mainly with process FMEA's but the thought process is the same.

ASD...

M

MSAFAI

Originally posted by Al Dyer:
MSAFAI:

Under the actions taken (page 12 AIAG FMEA) I look at the statement that says "based on test, 3 additional vent holes provided in affected areas."

I would consider that a change in design.

I work mainly with process FMEA's but the thought process is the same.

ASD...
Dear Al,

That ia a design change, you are right. But how about other cases in the same page where there is no desing change?

Regards,
MSAFAI

P.S. I think we have to give up. Since, there are no comments from other forum members.

Regards

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I was looking through this old thread and wondering. Do any of you folks have any comments on this? My 'schooling' was a design change had to be made but I can't remember the arguement and logic as to why.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
From the manual
Occurrence is the likelihood that a specific Cause/Mechanism (listed in the previous column) will occur during the design life. The likelihood of
Occurrence ranking number has a relative meaning rather than an absolute
value. Preventing or controlling the Causes/Mechanisms of the Failure Mode
through a design change or design process change (e.g. design checklist,
design review, design guide) is the only way a reduction in the Occurrence
ranking can be effected.
But
MSAFAI said:
The Cause/Mechanism is that insufficent wax thickness specified.This was a query as to the robustness of the design. An extra control was added, to test the specification. The specification was judged as adequate therefore the occurence was reduced.
This showed that the design did not need to be changed but it gave confidence that the problem would occur much less.

Is this thinking correct?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Reducing CE marking cost using manufacturer test reports CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
D Strategies for reducing software documentation burden IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 10
M Methods of reducing/eliminating the systematic component of error General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
O PFMEA - Reducing Severity (S) Ranking - Manufacturing Process Design Changes FMEA and Control Plans 4
B Reducing variation through multiple readings Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M Reducing Cost of Poor Quality - Your opinion requested Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
B EMC Repeat Justification - Reducing NRTL testing required after modification of ME IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Reducing cost of IEC 60601 3rd edition testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 14
J Reducing Variation via Multiple Readings Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
9 Ideas for reducing Human Error during Order Receipt Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
D Reducing Within Part Variation during a Gage R&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 26
O Reducing a Cpk which is higher than 1.33 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
Q Reducing the Frequency of Audits - Internal Audit Programme 2012 Internal Auditing 13
T Reducing End of the Line Skipped Rabbit Testing Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
S SMED on Punching Machine - Reducing Set-Up Time Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
Q Reducing the Frequency of a Production Line Test Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
M What is your most significant experience in Reducing Injection Moulding Cycle Time? Manufacturing and Related Processes 18
P ROI (Return on Investment) for Reducing Order to Fullfillment Lead Time Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Operation Control for Reducing Electricity Consumption Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 18
W Reducing Documentation for In-Process Inspections ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C Reducing Material Handling Costs - In-Floor Tow-Line Conveyor System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
R Chain Sampling Plan explanation and help - Reducing sample sizes (compared to Z1.4) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Reducing paperwork and placing in Systems electronically - Electronic documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
N Reducing Equipment Variation - Appraisal Variation - Newly developed product Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Reducing Engineering Change Orders Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
P Traffic, Distribution, Imports - Reducing Cost, Traffic Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 28
J Reducing Inspection Costs - Sampling Plans and Producer's Risk Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
T One Work Instruction instead of Many - Reducing Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
V Six Sigma Project on Reducing Plastic Injection Molding Rejects Six Sigma 10
K RPN reduction - Occurrance Reduction - Reducing occurance of defect on line FMEA and Control Plans 1
C Reducing Variation through Multiple Readings - MSA 3rd edition Chapter 5d Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
S Environmental Management Program - Reducing electric and fuel use, waste management Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 25
A Reducing The Amount Of Time Spent While Improving The Effectiveness Of Meetings QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
D Reducing gaging frequency/High Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
D Reducing the Number of SPC Charts used: We have many highly capable processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S Strategies for reducing Sampling on incoming bulk material - low volume, ingots Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Traceability - Reducing final inspections on separate lots QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
D Corrective Action Process Review - Reducing the scope of our NRS Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
M Which incubation condition should be selected to recover both bacteria and fungus effectively Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
M Aluminum - What is the difference between 6061-T6 and 6061-T651 (both per ASTM B211)? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D Doing both a top-down and a bottom-up risk assessment - How to combine ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
M Accelerated Ageing Test for Orthopedic Implants -- ASTM F 1980 or ISO 11607 or both are applicable ? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
G How is the labeling of units cleared for both Rx and OTC uses handled? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Can we integrate both ISO 9001:2015 and API Q1 Management System Standards Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
Ed Panek User Feedback both negative and positive and acting upon those metrics 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Software requirement and design specifications - Medical device contains both hardware and software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
B Integrated management system - ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 - Is possible to have a joint certificate covering both standards? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
N Does anyone know a registrar that offers both ISO 9001 and ISO 17020? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
R Sequence and Interaction - Combined for both ISO 9001:2015 and EMS 14001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Ajit Basrur Do you monitor both 0.5 and 5 micron in ISO Class 8 cleanrooms? Manufacturing and Related Processes 11