Reference Document Content and Referenced Documents

E

e006823

Our typical procedure includes 10 or more documents in the referenced document section. Usually these are references to our quality manual, assorted level 2 procedures. I’ve always been of the opinion that if a document is called out in the referenced documents section somewhere in the procedure it should require you to use that document e.g. “All nonconforming material shall be documented in accordance with NCM procedure 12345.” From what I can see ISO has no requirement for me to list the QM and QMP in lower level procedures. I’d like to find out others on the forum handle this situation.

Thanks,

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Reference Documents

FWIW - My format for procedures and work instructions have a scope, a purpose and then detailed instructions. I do not have a seperate section for "reference documents". My procedures might reference another procedure or work instruction, as in your example.

You are correct, there is no requirement to list the other documents. In fact - I would suggest removing them - making your procedures more "end user" friendly.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Our typical procedure includes 10 or more documents in the referenced document section. Usually these are references to our quality manual, assorted level 2 procedures. I’ve always been of the opinion that if a document is called out in the referenced documents section somewhere in the procedure it should require you to use that document e.g. “All nonconforming material shall be documented in accordance with NCM procedure 12345.” From what I can see ISO has no requirement for me to list the QM and QMP in lower level procedures. I’d like to find out others on the forum handle this situation.

Thanks,

CarolX said:
FWIW - My format for procedures and work instructions have a scope, a purpose and then detailed instructions. I do not have a seperate section for "reference documents". My procedures might reference another procedure or work instruction, as in your example.

You are correct, there is no requirement to list the other documents. In fact - I would suggest removing them - making your procedures more "end user" friendly.

Carol is correct there is no requirement to identify reference procedures. I usually, when I have developed Policy and Procedures, and will under normal circumstances, identify the reference procedures. But that is your choice.

Last edited:

E Wall

Just Me!
While I agree that there is no requirement - the need will depend on the purpose of the document as well as your users familiarity with the upper level procedures. All too often the lowest level document is looked at alone. Unless there is redundancy in your documentation there may be key requirements in upper level documents that should be reviewed depending on the situation.

I've limited reference to the upper level docs to the process outline; documents below this level refer only to the process outline or any associated procedure (like handling/reaction to suspect or known ncm).

It has worked well for us. I also revamped our documents to a process acronym numbering format rather than tie into a 'standard'. My logic is we set up our processes to maximize production and minimize waste and do what we do to stay successful and competitive in business...not because any standard 'says we have to'. Our certifications (9001 & 14001), while voluntary, are maintained as a business need and treated as such.

Top Bottom