Referencing procedures on Control Plans - Best Practices

S

stlwtrs

Looking for some guidance. I feel that you can get a bit silly with control plans and start referencing every procedure prior to production if you want. I am trying to understand best practicies. Do you need to reference "General Recieving", "Receiving Inspection" and "Warehouse" procedures on a production control plan. The parts come in the door, skip lot inspection is the next step and then parts are warehoused before moving to production. Do we need to reference Recieving, Recieving/Inspection, and Warehous Procedures on the control plan? Thank you in advance.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Hello stlwtrs,

I did a search for "control plan" in the Post Attachment List - see the green button in the header - and came up with this list for you to review. The list is long, but its examples, while varied do show that not every little thing that happens to a part must be part of the control plan. That should help keep things to a sane level.

I hope this helps!

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Control plan (also called as Quality plan) is a document specifying the processes of the QMS including the product realization and the resources to be applied to a specific product, project or contract.
This must be an output of your process planning the depth and details of which comes from your risk based thinking. There is nothing like best practice here as every control plan must be good for its user. (Mind you, not the auditor, the user)
How much details you want in your control plan, depends upon how much is your complexity and personnel competence.
There may be your customer requirement to approve the control plan before use, which again is a main business consideration in your high level risk based thinking ...

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Looking for some guidance. I feel that you can get a bit silly with control plans and start referencing every procedure prior to production if you want. I am trying to understand best practicies. Do you need to reference "General Recieving", "Receiving Inspection" and "Warehouse" procedures on a production control plan. The parts come in the door, skip lot inspection is the next step and then parts are warehoused before moving to production. Do we need to reference Recieving, Recieving/Inspection, and Warehous Procedures on the control plan? Thank you in advance.

I don't know whether you're referring to "procedures" as written documents or as processes or both The normal progression is to do a process flow diagram, a PFMEA and then the control plan. In automotive work it's generally expected that you will start with raw material receipt and continue through the process to storage and/or shipping.

The process steps on the flow diagram should be carried over, in order, to the PFMEA. As the control plan is output from the PFMEA, and the purpose of the PFMEA is to identify and prioritize risks, it may be that some of the process steps shown on the flow diagram and PFMEA don't appear on the control plan. Such is the case when it's determined during the PFMEA process that some steps present little or no risk and it's determined that special controls aren't necessary.

You can use the "Control Method" column to make reference to relevant documents such as procedures and work instructions.

Top Bottom