Refusal to Document Complaints

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
They fixed the part themselves due to time constraints as we were late delivering and they couldn't afford to waste time to send back to us for repair. They deducted money from their invoice due.
If top management does not get "alarmed" by a feedback such as this, it is hopeless. Late, nonconforming products leading to a monetary deduction. Don't they (top management) understand that this customer is likely to be looking for an alternate supplier? Isn't management concerned with loss of business? Maybe not. Maybe they think a mediocre performance is acceptable; some people spend their whole lives in mediocrity and that's their normal.

The reason to capture ANY instance of customer dissatisfaction is to understand if and when systemic issues exist that need to be prevented from recurring; in essence, a corrective action. Business benefits from learning from mistakes, but only if they embrace customer feedback, good and bad, and react accordingly. Organizations that are not interested in learning are too dysfunctional to prosper.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

japayson

Starting to get Involved
Big old follow up here. We had a group training session on customer complaints and how we'd like to handle them.

Here's an example we came across: A customer had called to state that parts we made for them were incorrect. They fixed the part themselves due to time constraints as we were late delivering and they couldn't afford to waste time to send back to us for repair. They deducted money from their invoice due.

Sales person says that isn't a complaint. The other five people in the meeting said it is.

What does Elsmar think? Do you feel like this is a complaint that should have been logged? How would YOU handle something like that? Through Action Requests? Through our Nonconforming Product procedure only?
The first part of the description sure sounds like a complaint. That is -- the customer called to state that the parts we made for them were incorrect. Sure sounds like a complaint. The fact that they repaired the parts doesn't make the complaint go away, does it?
I go with a thought that customer feedback of dissatisfaction should be considered a complaint, and should be addressed. If you decide to not view dissatisfaction as a complaint, then the customer will be motivated to find alternate supply.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Totally a complaint...I'd be interested in the Salesperson's definition of "complaint" if they don't think this is one.

Curiosity: If a monetary credit was issued, initiated by the customer...what bucket would it go in other than complaint?

Golfman25

If top management does not get "alarmed" by a feedback such as this, it is hopeless. Late, nonconforming products leading to a monetary deduction. Don't they (top management) understand that this customer is likely to be looking for an alternate supplier? Isn't management concerned with loss of business? Maybe not. Maybe they think a mediocre performance is acceptable; some people spend their whole lives in mediocrity and that's their normal.
Time out. You caught me on a day where I wish the customer would find another supplier. Their freaking part is unmanufacturable and is low value. :)

Golfman25

It's obviously a complaint. That's why the guy is in sales. But what can you do about it since the customer "fixed" the parts themselves? Most of my customers would want a written response/corrective action.

Ralba

Starting to get Involved
Here's an example we came across: A customer had called to state that parts we made for them were incorrect. They fixed the part themselves due to time constraints as we were late delivering and they couldn't afford to waste time to send back to us for repair. They deducted money from their invoice due.

Sales person says that isn't a complaint. The other five people in the meeting said it is.
Customer complaints are important, but it seems that there is a bit of a semantic argument going on with your company about the definition of the word. Personally, I take a very process based approach to viewing these problems, and tend to view them as inputs and outputs of related parts of the system. I find it helps avoid some semantics with certain personality types.

Sounds like you are in manufacturing. Your company, at its core, is a system to receive requests information from a customer, components from suppliers, and to perform actions on those components according to the information from the customer, and to then send them to the customer. Failure to meet the needs specified in the information from the customer is a failure in your system on some level. These kinds of errors happen, but the processes that created the errors need to be changed in a meaningful way that prevents the error from occurring again.

With this mindset, your sales guy is receiving information critical to the rest of the company. The information is what they need to make the changes to their processes to prevent the failures from re-occurring. This information needs to be recorded in such a way that it can be used by everyone to make HOW they work better suit the system's goal of meeting customer's needs.

In my humble opinion, it needs to be presented as the sales guy must make sure the information he receives that is pertinent to others within the company is received by those people. Failure to do so hinders their ability to do their job. Call it a complaint or negative feedback or whatever, but it needs to be logged and the root cause of the failures the customer is reporting need to be identified.

Mike S.

Moved On
One thing to keep in mind.....

In my experience, whether dealing with world-leading aerospace and defense mega corporations or small businesses, whether dealing with cheap components or expensive completed assemblies, I believe that around half of customer "complaints," reported problems, negative feedback, whatever term you use, is unjustified. So, generally speaking, unless we get the parts back to verify the alleged problem, or unless we get back photographic evidence (where appropriate) I do not do much.

Over the years, about half of what does come back from the customer under an RMA is found to not be our fault or impossible to determine the fault, so I am sure at least that percentage of stuff that doesn't come back is also not our fault. YMMV.

Hi, I had a similar issue in a company, I change the wording in the procedure to read Complaints / Concerns, and when speaking with the Sales team, i always tried to use the word customer Concerns. didn't always work but did improve a little, another point has to try to just write a process flow of how the system works and get HR involved if they don't follow as its part of there job role if it's in there roles and responsibility they have a duty to comply.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Hi, I had a similar issue in a company, I change the wording in the procedure to read Complaints / Concerns, and when speaking with the Sales team, i always tried to use the word customer Concerns. didn't always work but did improve a little, another point has to try to just write a process flow of how the system works and get HR involved if they don't follow as its part of there job role if it's in there roles and responsibility they have a duty to comply.
In the procedure, why not simply call it "feedback?" This way, it encourages the capturing of both positive and negative feedback from customers.

As for HR, to me that is a last step. If someone is not following a procedure, I would offer that our first action should be to ask - and understand - the why. If we have that ability to understand, then we can work on coming up with a suitable solution - could be revising our training to have more impact (e.g., showcase the risk of not capturing feedback and the benefits of capturing it), could be performance development - but until we sit down with open minds to understand the real reason, it will be difficult to implement something meaningful and sustainable.

If the Sales team (or an individual on it) is against documenting feedback, I would ask what they believe the role of Sales is in terms of client experience. There is, after all, more to sales than simply pushing product out the door and to the customer. I'd even turn the tables on them and ask if they would continue to go to a restaurant where they complained about the food/service to the manager and yet saw no improvement after making the complaint(s). Odds are they'll say they'd stop going to that restaurant. Ditto for the org's client...they'll stop buying at some point.

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
One thing to keep in mind.....

In my experience, whether dealing with world-leading aerospace and defense mega corporations or small businesses, whether dealing with cheap components or expensive completed assemblies, I believe that around half of customer "complaints," reported problems, negative feedback, whatever term you use, is unjustified. So, generally speaking, unless we get the parts back to verify the alleged problem, or unless we get back photographic evidence (where appropriate) I do not do much.

Over the years, about half of what does come back from the customer under an RMA is found to not be our fault or impossible to determine the fault, so I am sure at least that percentage of stuff that doesn't come back is also not our fault. YMMV.
I would still log it and explain that it could not be confirmed because (insert reason).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Refusal to take Corrective Actions after the Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Nitpicking on document released dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
I Master Document Access - ISO 9001:2015 clause 7.5.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Is highlighting on a printed document considered a change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
Sidney Vianna Informational New IAQG Document - AS9100 Clarifications of Intent AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Principles and Practices for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
R Training Matrix for Document revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Controlled Document Location Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Requirements for Regulatory Authority Recognition of Conformity Assessment Bodies Conducting Medical Device Regulatory Reviews Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B AS9110 Audit Check Sheet wanted Excel or Word Document AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
D Document review on already approved registrations requested by China's NMPA? China Medical Device Regulations 3
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z 21 CFR and Annex 11 mapping document Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News New AS9104-1 Document to be released around April 2020 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
I Tracking Protoype Changes; 8D or simple document revision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Transfer of Document Ownership Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational IMDRF proposed document – IMDRF terminologies for categorized Adverse Event Reporting (AER): terms, terminology structure and codes (Edition 4) – Anne Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Warning about Deltronic Gage Pins - The "Certification of Accuracy" document General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
M Informational EU – Guidance document Implant Card relating to the application of Article 18 Regulation (EU) 2017/745 of the European Parliament and of the Council o Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational Health Canada guidance document – Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G ISO 17025:2017 7.1.2 - Should I produce a document for the customer? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
J Document Control Software Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Is the document author required to be identified as part of Document Change Notice? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Sterilization Site Move - Dec 2018 FDA Guidance Document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Q Do we have to document all corrections and corrective actions in ISO 9001 10.2.2 ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
M Informational Health Canada – Notice: Revisions to the Guidance Document: Management of Applications for Medical Device Licences Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
I Document templates required for ISO ISO 45001 - Engineering Construction company Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
Sidney Vianna The mystery of an IAF Mandatory Document disappearance ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6