QMS for Life Sciences
Elsmar Cove Forum Sponsor

Registered or Certified - What is the proper terminology?

T

tim banic

Registered or Certified

What is the proper terminology?

QS 9000/ISO 9001 Registered or Certified?

I think Registered is correct, just wantto know what the experts say.

thanks tim

"...if it moves, train it...if it doesn't move, calibrate it...if it isn't written down, it never happened!"

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
This is a very old debate. I used to argue that 'registered' was the correct term. That term was used by the British, mostly. But - most registrars will say they 'certify' companies. I gave up arguing about which is correct.

A

Al Dyer

I agree that this is a very old debate, that's why I take the easy way out and look at the first paragraph under the section II customer requirements where they use the word register. (QS-9000 3rd Edition)

It's all just semantics in my opinion.

ASD...

T

tim banic

Thank you all for your help, I need to put togethor stuff for our party. We are all getting jackets "QS 9000 / ISO 9001 Registered" on the arm.

Also putting up a banner, actually 2, we have a warehouse across town also.

thanks again
tim

"if it moves, train it...if it doesn't move, calibrate it...if it isn't written down, it never happened!"

S

Steven Truchon

Our "Certificate", "certifies", and lists a "certification date", so according to our registrar, we are certifiable (hey, aren't we all?).

However, when I attended my lead auditor training from a different company, we were taught specifically to use the term "registered".

Im so confused! But then again, I am registered as certifiable.

A

Al Dyer

I like a certain level of confusion. It keeps food on my table so I don't have to get a real job! :)

ASD...

R

romelnar

either "registered" or "certified" is correct. what matters here is how you will use them. it is not proper to say that a company is "iso900x/qs9000 certified". neither ISO nor QS certifies a company. it is the certification body who certified companies. therefore saying (for example) "BVQI Certified to ISO900x/QS9000" is more appropriate.

for a related discussion, you can visit this site ---> http://www.iso.ch - Link was: /9000e/dontexis.htm

A

Alan Greatbatch

Some of these discussions do make me chuckle!

Here's my twopenniesworth;

If you are registered you must be on a register. If you are certfied you must have a certificate. So, in my humble opinion you are certified by and registered with the certification body.

Top Bottom