Registered or Certified - What is the proper terminology?

T

tim banic

Registered or Certified

What is the proper terminology?

QS 9000/ISO 9001 Registered or Certified?

I think Registered is correct, just wantto know what the experts say.

thanks tim

"...if it moves, train it...if it doesn't move, calibrate it...if it isn't written down, it never happened!"

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
This is a very old debate. I used to argue that 'registered' was the correct term. That term was used by the British, mostly. But - most registrars will say they 'certify' companies. I gave up arguing about which is correct.

A

Al Dyer

I agree that this is a very old debate, that's why I take the easy way out and look at the first paragraph under the section II customer requirements where they use the word register. (QS-9000 3rd Edition)

It's all just semantics in my opinion.

ASD...

T

tim banic

Thank you all for your help, I need to put togethor stuff for our party. We are all getting jackets "QS 9000 / ISO 9001 Registered" on the arm.

Also putting up a banner, actually 2, we have a warehouse across town also.

thanks again
tim

"if it moves, train it...if it doesn't move, calibrate it...if it isn't written down, it never happened!"

S

Steven Truchon

Our "Certificate", "certifies", and lists a "certification date", so according to our registrar, we are certifiable (hey, aren't we all?).

However, when I attended my lead auditor training from a different company, we were taught specifically to use the term "registered".

Im so confused! But then again, I am registered as certifiable.

A

Al Dyer

I like a certain level of confusion. It keeps food on my table so I don't have to get a real job! :)

ASD...

R

romelnar

either "registered" or "certified" is correct. what matters here is how you will use them. it is not proper to say that a company is "iso900x/qs9000 certified". neither ISO nor QS certifies a company. it is the certification body who certified companies. therefore saying (for example) "BVQI Certified to ISO900x/QS9000" is more appropriate.

for a related discussion, you can visit this site ---> http://www.iso.ch - Link was: /9000e/dontexis.htm

A

Alan Greatbatch

Some of these discussions do make me chuckle!

Here's my twopenniesworth;

If you are registered you must be on a register. If you are certfied you must have a certificate. So, in my humble opinion you are certified by and registered with the certification body.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GStough Beating a Dead Horse?....ISO-registered or ISO-certified....THAT Is The Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
R ISO registered company list _ those certified by non-accredited auditing firms ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Already ISO 9001 Certified - What happens when we get ISO 13485 registered? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
chris1price List of ISO 9001 Registered (Certified) Companies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Listing of ISO 9001 Certified (Registered) Companies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
W Certified/Registered vs. Compliant only - Internal Audit requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q List of US companies certified (registered) to SA8000: 2001 standard. Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 10
Frank T. Being Compliant to a Standard vs. Certified (Registered) to a Standard Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
M Definition Certified vs. Registered vs. Recommendation - What is the difference? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 10
S How many organizations have been certified (registered) to ISO/TS 16949:2002? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J List of ISO 9001 Registered / Certified Companies Registrars and Notified Bodies 16
M We made it!!!! We are now registered (certified) to QS-9000 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
P Do I need to get registered or have German entity to sell IVD products in Germany? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Searching Registered Medical Devices in Argentina Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Can a PLD Registered in only one state sell prescription drugs to one in another state Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
M DI format for UDI after we have registered it with GS1 Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Marc Conversations - Limitations for New Registered Members Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 8
Marc Old Registered Visitors "Pruned" from the Database - 20180916 Forum News and General Information 0
M Importing a Registered Class II Device, the Applying Our Label - Need New 510(k)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
C First Aid Kit Compliance advice - Registered assembler with the MHRA EU Medical Device Regulations 1
supadrai Establishment registered as specification developer and foreign exporter only 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Colin Effectiveness of IRCA Registered Training ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
S Importer and Registered Place of Business in EU EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Medical Device Change Requirements - Malaysia Registered Products Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
Crusader Who is registered to ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 96
Y Is CFDA registration required if the full system is registered by our distributors? China Medical Device Regulations 2
S Change of Medical Device Company Registered Address - Implications Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
R Does an Outside Steam Generator need to be Registered in the EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F Fast Track Registration in Costa Rica for Medical Devices registered in Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
X Is in vitro diagnostic instruments not needed to be registered in India ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
O List of ANVISA Registered Companies Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
I Does my company need to be ISO 13485 registered? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Question on Device Listing for a FDA registered facility US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
Y Solidifier and Spill Kits in US - Why is it registered in EPA not FDA? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
K Retrospective DHF for an old non-registered device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
P Other Company's Documentation - Registered as External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S PAI (Pre Approval inspection) of European non registered site US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
T Requirement for each Company Plant to be AS9100 Registered? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
S Single Warehouse used by two different companies - One is ISO 13485 registered Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
B Registered Medical Device Manufacturer - Are documented job descriptions required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Databases of all the registered Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
M Managing Changes to an SFDA Registered Device China Medical Device Regulations 6
G "Registered Device " and "Listed Device" in TGA Registration for Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
A Can an EASA approved MRO release (EASA release) a non EASA registered Aircraft? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 2
H Auto Service Repair Shops in Michigan that are ISO 9001 Registered ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
W Listing of ISO 9001 Registered Companies Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
K Look for a Registered Agent for API in Brasil Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
D What is the value of a fully registered Quality Manual? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
L Importing exempt Class I device from non-registered manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Update on Change Notification for Registered Medical Devices in Singapore Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0