Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Registered User Articles Poll - July 2004

Which July 2004 Article Did You Like Best?

• Lean Management Systems - Part 2 - ccochran

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
To preclude complaints, this is an 'Open' Poll. Poll results will show who voted for what. Just click on the vote number in the poll. My vote will always be 'No Opinion - Potentially Biased' to avoid any complaints and/or the 'appearance of' conflict of interest.

The poll will remain open until the close date stated on the poll and is open to all Registered visitors here in the Elsmar Cove forums. Registration is free.

You may use this thread for any comments you have, if any, including why you voted as you did.

To those who submitted articles in July, my Thanks! :agree1:

J

Jim Howe

I enjoyed reading all of these really great articles. I was torn between Lean management systems and the legal aspects of auditing but in the end Ralph's article struck home because of my involvement with audits at the current time. I would like to extend a well done to both authors and if I could vote twice I would!
:thanx:

R

Rob Nix

All of the articles were well written and informative. I congratulate all of the authors! :applause:

However, when considering them based on what is currently useful to me at this time, both Ralph's "Legal Aspects of Auditing" and Craig's "Lean Management...2" were right on the money! There are projects I am working on right now that will definitely include lessons learned in these two articles. Thanks, guys.

I couldn't choose which was better so I literally flipped an old quarter; it came up "Ralph", and so that's how I voted.

G

Greg B

Thanks to all of the authors...I too enjoyed all of the articles. I voted for Craig's with Ralph a close second and a MID for Randy's.

Does anyone else think that it is the same old crew voting and submitting??? If I place an article in the general forum, it gets swamped, but up here in the Articles section not too many seem to drop by, including many regulars. Do you think that it is just not part of their routine and we need to alert them to the fact that they are missing out on some top-notch information???

Greg B

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg B said:
Thanks to all of the authors...I too enjoyed all of the articles. I voted for Craig's with Ralph a close second and a MID for Randy's.

Does anyone else think that it is the same old crew voting and submitting??? If I place an article in the general forum, it gets swamped, but up here in the Articles section not too many seem to drop by, including many regulars. Do you think that it is just not part of their routine and we need to alert them to the fact that they are missing out on some top-notch information???

Greg B
Just a guess, because the statistics don't report whether the views are members, guests, or spiders (Steve's "Liars" had 118 views):

I think many folks view these forums from behind firewalls and are unable to download articles to read which would eliminate many potential voters. A very few of us (Marc on every one) choose not to vote because of some conflict which might skew our vote. The remaining readers (downloaders) who are nonvoters may not be frequent enough visitors to read all articles and may thus eliminate themselves from voting.

This is a good topic to raise. Perhaps a new poll on whether folks are able to access the articles? Then a second part to the poll, "if you access, do you vote? Why or why not?"

K

Katydid

my vote

Do you think that it is just not part of their routine and we need to alert them to the fact that they are missing out on some top-notch information???

Greg B.

-----
Greg,

I have been visiting the forums for approximately 1 1/2 years now. Until last month I never had visited the Registered User Articles. Since then, I visit them each time I log on because the information is "top-notch"!

I placed my vote today for "The Funnel Experiment" because it has helped the most number of people in my organization. Our machinists are just learning control charting concepts, so to help them, I forwarded copies of "The Funnel Experiment" to all machining supervisors, salaried employees, and posted them in the cafeteria. I will also be using some of the concepts in my new hire training. I could see the light going on in some operators eyes that were having trouble with the statistical concepts.

The other article that I was very excited about was "Legal Aspects of Auditing". This article broadens the view of my auditing responsibilities and liabilities to include use of records, not just the action of identifying and correcting nonconformances. All auditors in my organization have also read this one with much positive feedback.

I will work hard to spread the word in my corner of the world about the articles on-line, but I will also be sure that pertinent personnel at least get copies of the best articles. Someday, as my experience increases, I hope to be able to post some of my ideas too. I have gleaned so much information from reading these informative pages. Thanks so much to all people providing articles for posting.

:thanks:

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Wes Bucey said:
Just a guess, because the statistics don't report whether the views are members, guests, or spiders (Steve's "Liars" had 118 views):

I think many folks view these forums from behind firewalls and are unable to download articles to read which would eliminate many potential voters. A very few of us (Marc on every one) choose not to vote because of some conflict which might skew our vote. The remaining readers (downloaders) who are nonvoters may not be frequent enough visitors to read all articles and may thus eliminate themselves from voting.

This is a good topic to raise. Perhaps a new poll on whether folks are able to access the articles? Then a second part to the poll, "if you access, do you vote? Why or why not?"
I'm game for a poll.

NOTES:
1. Views, as the count relates to a thread, reflect spiders and search bots. Views, as the count relates to attachments, are only those who are actually registered and downloaded the file.

Firewalls should not be interfering with downloading a file from here, but with all the things going on I really don't know how most companies are configuring their firewalls right now. For example, some may block Excel files because of the potential for macros. I do not allow files with a .exe extension to be uploaded here because of the potential in Windows for the file to auto-execute on the computer of the person who is downloading it. I don't want the liability. I doubt many companies would block pdf files because they're relatively harmless. Yes - I understand that a PDF file could be an executable with a 'fake' file extension, but if companies blocked all pdf files, for example, where would you be? I'll bet everyone here has a need for legitimate PDF files. In short, I doubt that's an issue. I believe I'd be getting e-mails about it if that was at all common.

2. There is a 'limited' group of people in quality who are 'internet nuts'. Claes, Howard, Atul, (and a few others...) I hate to tell you but... And quite obviously, include me.

This group is narrowed statistically by those who have 'found' these forums recently in part because of efforts since last December to make the site 'SEO' (Search Engine Optimised) 'friendly'. Look at the stats and most people register to get files - not to ask questions or get involved in any discussions or worry about articles. It is the 'core' group of people who are seriously interested in a forum like this which is unconventional, to say the least. If you look at the attachment, you will see Registered Users who have posted is now at just under 26% ('Active Users' in the stats). I've watched and it's down from about 27% 2 months ago.

But it is this core group - some may call us 'radicals' - which is the essence of these forums.

3. Although Google advertising has not picked up much revenue wise since 1 April, while site traffic has significantly increased since January, next month's article submitter will receive US$200 instead of US$150 as stated. I'm having a pretty good year and I really feel it is worth it. The bar is doing well, the site is doing OK and consulting is going OK. And I really do like the articles. I like the idea. In part I see this as 'good' because the people - you folks - who are submitting these articles - I think of them as 'Personal Insights' - are people who are not just out for a notch on your belt. If this was the ASQ, for example, being 'published' is a different thing all together.

Remember - it's not the quantity - it's the Quality. :applause:

Oh, and by the way - Last month's 'Users Choice' was from Malta. I found out you can send money by Western Union over the internet, after then calling them and explaining exactly why the money is being sent (a LOT of questions...), just about anywhere in the world.

Attachments

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Most Popular Article - July 2004

Looks like "The Legal Aspects of Auditing" by Ralph Kolts for July!

Congratulations, Ralph!

Top Bottom