SBS - The best value in QMS software

Registering a Class 1 Sterile Medical Device - Currently selling a Non-Sterile

nozzle

Starting to get Involved
Hi all :bigwave:
Was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance?
My company currently sell a non-sterile device in the US and are now looking at selling a sterile version of the same device.
Having read through the FDA guidance am I correct in thinking that the sterile device will have the same product code as the non-sterile? I've read through 21 CFR part 868 and can't see any specific requirements for registering the sterile device.

The organisation we intend to use for the sterilization are registered with the FDA.

Thanks in advance :)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Not in my area of expertise but this doesn't sound right to me.

A sterile product is quite different from a non-sterile. Material properties can be affected by sterilization, packaging has to be different, and management (expiration / shelf life) has to be different. Doesn't sound to me like using the same product code would be the right approach. Hopefully someone with expertise in this area will weigh in.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hard to say anything meaningful without knowing what the device is, what regulation it comes under within part 868 (868.xxxx) and what 3-letter code your current device is classified to.

JeantheBigone

Quite Involved in Discussions
I can't think of any Class I devices that are sold both sterile and non-sterile, so I also find it hard to say anything meaningful.

I did find a thread here on the Cove about whether sterilization automatically means that a 510(k) is required, and someone was kind enough to post an example where this is not the case, namely for sterile liquid bandages.

https://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=39448

Without knowing more, all I can suggest is to read 21 CFR 868.9 carefully to see if it trips subpart (a).

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=868.9

nozzle

Starting to get Involved
Hard to say anything meaningful without knowing what the device is, what regulation it comes under within part 868 (868.xxxx) and what 3-letter code your current device is classified to.
Thanks for your reply.
The device is a rigid Laryngoscope, 868.5540. Product code is CCW.

I've searched the FDA database for product code CCW, and from what I can see Dynarex Corp have sterile and non-sterile versions of the same device as our company listed. I can't post the direct link as I don't have enough posts on here yet.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Thanks for your reply.
The device is a rigid Laryngoscope, 868.5540. Product code is CCW.

I've searched the FDA database for product code CCW, and from what I can see Dynarex Corp have sterile and non-sterile versions of the same device as our company listed. I can't post the direct link as I don't have enough posts on here yet.
In short, if there is a (sterile) commercially distributed device under the CCW code that has the same characteristics as your sterile device, you'd be exempt from submitting a 510(k) for that device.

For full details, refer to 21 CFR 868.9.

JeantheBigone

Quite Involved in Discussions
I tend to be a bit more (ok WAY more) cautious when it comes to relying on what other manufacturers have listed. It could be that they are in violation of the regulations, and FDA just hasn't gotten around to enforcing anything yet.

I'm not saying they are in violation, just that it's a possibility.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
FDA just hasn't gotten around to enforcing anything yet.
FDA doesn't actively chase class I devices. They're always under-resourced so I doubt that that will change anytime soon.

The way I see it, legally it's not the OP's responsibility to verify the precedent's classification. The regulation only requires similar characteristics as a device commercially distributed in the same category.

I do agree, though, that it won't be bad to have a backup, ie more than one such device which is sterile.

rwend07

Involved In Discussions
I tend to be a bit more (ok WAY more) cautious when it comes to relying on what other manufacturers have listed. It could be that they are in violation of the regulations, and FDA just hasn't gotten around to enforcing anything yet.

I'm not saying they are in violation, just that it's a possibility.
If you've got several "predicates" (ideally from larger companies) listed in that product code that are sold sterile you should be fine. Sterility doesn't determine classification in the FDA as it does in the EU and elsewhere.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Sterility doesn't determine classification in the FDA as it does in the EU and elsewhere.
...with the exception that some ProCodes explicitly say that they cover only a sterile device or only a non-sterile one.

I agree that there's no "classification rule" for sterility in the US system.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Registering a Class II Medical Device with no Predicate Device - FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Requirements for registering Alcohol Wipes (70% IPA) in Canada Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
C Registering Medical Devices in Australia and New Zealand - ANZTPA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
K Registering a Software medical device (SaMD) in China China Medical Device Regulations 5
shimonv The regulatory process for registering a Medical Device in India Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
J ISO13485 Certification Scope - Registering a Subset of our Products ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M FDA Submission Consultancy - Registering and marketing our products in the US 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Anvisa & INMETRO - Registering Non-Electrical Medical Devices in Brazil Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
A Registering Medical Products in Canada - DIN EN 14971 vs. CAN/CSA-ISO 14971 Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
R Registering Medical Device in Brazil ANVISA - Fee Structure Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
K Job Shop - Registering to AS9100 vs. ISO 9001 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 27
N Regulations for Registering Medical Devices in South Korea Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
K Registering to AS9100 - Already ISO/TS-16949 Registered AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T Difference between registering as a Lead Auditor with RABQSA vs. IRCA ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 9
M Medical Devices Registering (Registration) Procedure in South Africa Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
T Product Listing (registering medical devices) in Indonesian Market ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Requirements for Registering and Listing with the FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
F Contract Manufacturer Registering with the FDA - Medical Devices - 21 CFR 807.20 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
A Registering multiple sites to ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A AMSQQP416E Class 2 type 2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S IVD risk class II devices for Brazil and MDSAP Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
P Anyone have an Idea on UAE Medical device registeration- Class B with FDA only Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F Mobile app regulations - Class II medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Medical watch Class II (AP Type CF) with USB connection IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
L Radiology software Class I exemption Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
K CE Marking for Class I Medical Device? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
A Class I (exempt) testing requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
Z Class I marketing regulation and supply chain Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S We are looking for EU authorised Representative for both Class I and Class IIb devices EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S How is the service life for class I reusable medical devices described in MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S How is the service life described for class I reusable medical devices in MDR? Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
R Class 1 Convenience kits for home teeth impression, NOT smile direct or other for alignment purposes Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
J Confusing on Harmonic Emissions/Voltage Fluctuations/Flicker test for CISPR 11 Class A Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J Intervertebral body fusion cage, MDR Class II or Class III? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Do I need a qualified compiler for class B software? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
R Nanomaterials used as coating on class I MD - rule 19 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Amendment Class II - Please confirm if the submission is by email (Canada) - Help Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
D Class IIB Medical Device Accessories - OTS Tablets Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
K Doubt on insulation class of a device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Where to find Guidance Class II Amendment Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I IVD - 98/79EC - class IIa - Annex to the EC from the NB states the CM as one of the facilities? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Z MDR Class Ir deadline (Reusable surgical instruments) EU Medical Device Regulations 27
D Adding a Class I to a sample box Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
T Class A PRTD beyond 300°C General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
F How to register class I device to all European Competent Autorities(CA) when we are European manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Sterile barrier system symbols - Label redlines for a Class III device (Kit Box) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1