Registrar Audit Frequency - Pros and Cons of a 1 year vs a 6 month frequency

R

RosieA

My Registrar offers a 6 month and a 1 year audit frequency.

I would be interested in knowing the pros and cons of doing a 1 year vs a 6 month frequency. This is a new job for me and the first time I've had the 1 year frequency.

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
RosieA said:
My Registrar offers a 6 month and a 1 year audit frequency.

I would be interested in knowing the pros and cons of doing a 1 year vs a 6 month frequency. This is a new job for me and the first time I've had the 1 year frequency.

Thanks!
To my understanding, registrars can no longer use the "every six month equal one complete audit" anymore. Organizations must go through a complete assessment every three years. With some organizations, performing yearly assessments instead of six months assessments, will be less costly. Yearly auditing, however runs a risk. If you are slowing moving away from your QMS, yearly auditing might not discover it until you are way off the mark.

Remember that the third-party auditors really just verify what your internal auditors are finding. I think internal auditing needs to be done a lot more frequently than once a year.

T

tomvehoski

I agree with db that annual audits do risk letting your system slip too far too long where you can get in trouble on later audits. Most registrars prefer to do audits every six months. The only exception is small companies that only require one audit day per year - they normally don't like only 1/2 day audits since it is tough to bill out the auditor the other 1/2 day.

If you require 2 or more days per year, go for the six month option.

R

RosieA

I agree...A 6 month frequency is my preference as well, however, I may have trouble selling that here. It does look like the costs are less doing it once a year and cost IS likely to be the driver for management here.

Before I launch into this, however, I want to be sure there aren't some hidden benefits to the company with doing the yearly route besides cost.

If there isn't any other benefit, then I will need to cost justify the additional expense for the 6 month surveilances.

I think, from my records review, that the three year reassessment cost is almost twice what it would be if I were doing surveillances every 6 months.

Is that true for others doing the yearly surveillances?

RosieA said:
I think, from my records review, that the three year reassessment cost is almost twice what it would be if I were doing surveillances every 6 months.

Is that true for others doing the yearly surveillances?
You might be looking at misleading numbers. I could be wrong here, but I think this is correct. If you are looking at historical numbers, they may include the old method of using 6 month assessements as a way to meet the three year rule. Now that you still have to have a re-assessment audit every three years, there should not be any cost advantage on the re-assessement. It should be identical regardless of which way you go.

A

Aaron Lupo

As was mentioned already cost is one of the big benefits of once every 12 months rather thean every 6 months. If you want to keep the costs down, see if your registrar has an auditor that is local, that would eliminate travel and lodging.

One other thing you want to be careful of if you do decide on once every 12 months is that if you need to delay for some reason and you go past the 12 months are risk losing your certificate or at the very least having your Registrar require additional time on-site due to the fact you went past the annual schedule. Just a thought see if your registrar would be willing to come every 9 months.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Like ISO GUY implied, the increased costs should only be because of travel expenses. If they are adding some other administrative costs in there, feel free to question them. Also, the local auditor approach is good. I audit for a couple of registrars, and most of the audits I do are completely free of travel expenses. I've also heard of registrars doing the 9-month schedule, which may be a compromise.

The pros and cons I can think of have already been covered by db, ISO GUY, and Tom...

C

C Emmons

db said:
To my understanding, registrars can no longer use the "every six month equal one complete audit" anymore. Organizations must go through a complete assessment every three years. With some organizations, performing yearly assessments instead of six months assessments, will be less costly. Yearly auditing, however runs a risk. If you are slowing moving away from your QMS, yearly auditing might not discover it until you are way off the mark.

Remember that the third-party auditors really just verify what your internal auditors are finding. I think internal auditing needs to be done a lot more frequently than once a year.

I received a letter from our Registrar regarding the complete re assessment every three years and contacted them for clarification. Here is what they told me:

The IFA guidelines are saying that in the last year (SA# 5 and 6#) the total amount of man days added together must equal 2/3 of the time required for a registration audit. In one years time the conduct 12 surveillance days per year (6 sites 1 day each ever six month) So we are more then covered for the re assessment requirement.

As far as the benefit of every six months, forces my system to keep things moving and doesnt allow enough time to completely drop the ball!

C Emmons said:
The IFA guidelines are saying that in the last year (SA# 5 and 6#) the total amount of man days added together must equal 2/3 of the time required for a registration audit. In one years time the conduct 12 surveillance days per year (6 sites 1 day each ever six month) So we are more then covered for the re assessment requirement....
I am not a registrar, nor do I play one on TV (take-off from an old commercial). This is news to me, and I find it interesting.

"As far as the benefit of every six months, forces my system to keep things moving and doesnt allow enough time to completely drop the ball! "

Idealy "dropping the ball" should not be an issue. But, just like a diet, or any other thing, the ball will have a tendency to get dropped. Probably the best case for six month intervals. But, I wonder about the nine month.....?

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
C Emmons said:
The IFA guidelines are saying that in the last year (SA# 5 and 6#) the total amount of man days added together must equal 2/3 of the time required for a registration audit. In one years time the conduct 12 surveillance days per year (6 sites 1 day each ever six month) So we are more then covered for the re assessment requirement.
C-
Just curious...who is the IFA?

Thanks,
CarolX

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Frequency of CB (Certification Body aka Registrar) Audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
B Registrar Specifying Audit Frequency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
L Audit boundaries - Is a Registrar permitted to audit a company's QMS by visiting their suppliers? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
A ISO 9001:2015 registrar Auditor requesting copies of procedure prior to audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
W Registrar Practices - Audit Plan with Scope, Dates/Times, etc. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V Under what circumstances will a Registrar Audit a Company? (ISO 13485 - Canada) Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
L Registrar Audit Report Length General Auditing Discussions 6
L Registrar Audit Scope and Limits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Sanity Check - Audit of Distribution Centers required by New Registrar ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
Crusader Shocking News in Registrar Audit Today Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
G Calculating AS9100 Registrar Audit Man Days AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
P Objecting to Registrar Audit Non-conformances General Auditing Discussions 43
D Can a Registrar audit a location remotely (electronically) for ISO 9001 General Auditing Discussions 10
J AS9100 Rev.B Registrar Audit Plan for Stage 2 Audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M How to Increase Registrar Audit Rigor? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 21
P Audit Verification from Registrar - Just had TS16949/ISO9001 Surveillance Audit General Auditing Discussions 30
N Registrar Expectations from Customer in Audit Scheduling Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
J Time Frame for Responding to a Major Nonconformance - Registrar Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Re-Audit Necessary Due to Registrar Error AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
Domoreto Extra registrar audit days due to Nonconformances? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 24
Coury Ferguson Should a Registrar write a NC on something that was found during the Internal Audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 138
P AS9100 Registrar Accreditation Audit Tips - Accreditation audit witnessed by ANAB AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
A Repeat Major NC - What can happen during External Audit by Registrar General Auditing Discussions 23
tony s Let the Registrar audit the Internal Audit process Internal Auditing 45
Q Process Maps identified as inadequate during registrar's Document audit Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 20
J Registrar system failure - IATF rejected paperwork - Insufficient audit days Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
M Preparing for External Audits - Asking Registrar for their Audit Check List(s) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
T Witness audit panic - When our registrar is audited during their audit of us General Auditing Discussions 20
Marc Registrar Asking Customer to complete QMS Audit Matrix Registrars and Notified Bodies 16
G Can registrar revocate our TS 16949 certificate? We haven't had a yearly audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Marc TS 16949 Registrar Audit Failure Modes General Auditing Discussions 48
S Can a registrar recommend with minor non-conformities closed before end of audit? General Auditing Discussions 7
D Question about ISO 9001 Registrar Audit Checklist - No more checklists? General Auditing Discussions 9
T Example of a Registrar's Registration Audit Schedule General Auditing Discussions 2
M Looking for Registrar to audit using ISO 13485:2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
D Registrar's Registration Audit Checklist General Auditing Discussions 11
E Definition Audit Finding - In 'Registrar Language' what is the Definition of a 'Finding'? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 11
Marc Internal Audit Findings and the Registrar Internal Auditing 5
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R Change Notification - Registrar vs Notified body ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
E Choosing an ISO 9001 registrar with auditors familiar with our industry Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
Jen Kirley Is your registrar (CB) accredited? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 9
K Seeking ISO 13485 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
P Notify Registrar of Escalation letter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M New AS9100 Registrar - Recommendations for Transfer Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Notifying Registrar of Significant QMS changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Does anyone know a registrar that offers both ISO 9001 and ISO 17020? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
S Certification Body, Registrar, Notified Body - What is the difference? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
1 ISO Registrar with waste water treatment experience Registrars and Notified Bodies 1