Registrar Auditor's Candid Remarks - Should I report him to his office?

P

Peaches

Over lunch, during our Annual Systems Audit, our Auditor indicated to me that he would not recommend my QA Supervisor if he was looking for another job (Our company is planning to shutdown in the next year or so). He went on to "rate" my co-workers in other departments that he met during the audit. Telling me he wouldn't hire some of them if it was up to him. I take exception to what he said, but didn't say anything to him. Should I contact his office pointing out how unprofessional he was or am I being too critical and he is entitled to his opinion?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
P

phloQS

Personally I do not like blaming people when I did not talk to them about the issue before. Theoretically everything seen during an audit has to be kept in secret, so you should blame him, when you got any information that he told something abourt employees of your company. That is a no go for auditors. If he is asked something about your company by other clients there is just one answer: "No comment!". In practise there will always be ways like "in gereral I would not hire employees of a company which just closed".
But back to matter. Ask him why this is his opinion and if he really wants to tell anybody else his opinion. If the last question is answered with a "yes", ask him if he knows that he is not allwoed to do so. If you than have the feeling that he will do so, go to your registrar and tell them the issue. Maybe an e-mail where he shows his thoughts and willing to talk about it would be great. You could take this to proof your issue at the registrar.

Regards

phloQS

harry

Super Moderator
To me, a remark made in private is 'private'. You may make your own judgement about the character of this person but to report his private comments to his employer doesn't make you look good either.

S

silentrunning

If you are going to be looking for a job "in a year or so", I wouldn't burn any bridges by reporting him. You never know what lies down the road. This fellow may be the auditor at a company you apply to. Just count the experience as a life lesson and move on.

A

amit_rd

We can never guarantee that we understand everything exactly as it was told by someone! Think it this way that probably he just wanted to impress you by showing you his skills about assessing people!

I agree with Harry! A word said in private is not to be made public - But if you still feel disturbed about it, talk to him directly and tell him politely that you did not appreciate it as you would not appreciate anybody talking about him behind his back!

Even an auditor deserves a second chance my friend:)

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Over lunch, during our Annual Systems Audit, our Auditor indicated to me that he would not recommend my QA Supervisor if he was looking for another job (Our company is planning to shutdown in the next year or so). He went on to "rate" my co-workers in other departments that he met during the audit. Telling me he wouldn't hire some of them if it was up to him. I take exception to what he said, but didn't say anything to him. Should I contact his office pointing out how unprofessional he was or am I being too critical and he is entitled to his opinion?
I would not report him for acting stupidly. He said it during lunch.
Registrars often ask customers to respond to a survey.
You can apply the appropriate rating.

S

Sorin

First of all I really do not take that as a private conversation. It was during an audit. It's irrelevant that it was during lunch.
Now, do I consider the auditor to be unprofessional and a total jerk? Yep...it looks like...Also, it looks like the guy was on a power trip. Could be that he was quite frustrated with his professional position.
Report him?...most probably not. However, I would not keep him in my professional network.

Randy

Super Moderator
During lunch or not, personal comments about people are out of bounds and unprofessional. But, apparently there was a level of trust and openess the auditor felt he had with you so you have to ask yourself a question...Do I betray that misguided trust, and if I do, what is there to gain from it?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I would let it pass. I saw an instance once where an auditor, in a closing meeting, remarked that an indivdual he spoke with seemed confused and unprepared. It was mentioned more or less in passing, but the minute the auditor was out of the building the person in question was summarily terminated. This was a hugely wrong thing to do, but you never know what effect an auditor's comments might have, and I don't see anything to be gained at this point from making an issue of it.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I would let it pass. I saw an instance once where an auditor, in a closing meeting, remarked that an indivdual he spoke with seemed confused and unprepared. It was mentioned more or less in passing, but the minute the auditor was out of the building the person in question was summarily terminated. This was a hugely wrong thing to do, but you never know what effect an auditor's comments might have, and I don't see anything to be gained at this point from making an issue of it.
I would feel a rock in my stomach if someone had been fired on account of something I said. :mg:

I have also listened to a co-auditor go on and on saying things that I was deeply dismayed with - but it was political. He has learned to change the subject if he goes on for a long time and I don't offer anything at all to the conversation - I have been known to take care of it myself by looking around and offering, "Gosh, do you think it's going to rain during your trip home?" or something equally lame.

Lunchtimes are supposed to be "down time" but auditors should still be on good behavior. Still, this was not the audit so I would not rate him based on this breach of etiquette. I would, however support asking for a different auditor next time... which I am sorry to note you probably won't have the opportunity to do. :(
:2cents:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A ISO 9001:2015 registrar Auditor requesting copies of procedure prior to audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
D Breach of Contract from Registrar (Auditor Payment Issue) Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
A AATT Aerospace Auditor Requirements for an AS9100 Registrar AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
E Consultant Person who implemented ALSO the Registrar Auditor? Consultants and Consulting 17
B TS 16949 Auditor Availability and Registrar Scheduling Delays Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
C ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 Registrar Auditor Credentials Career and Occupation Discussions 8
R Registrar Auditor putting more emphasis on training? ISO9001:2008 General Auditing Discussions 8
Z Interviewing an External Auditor? Choose a Registrar for ISO 9001 Registration Registrars and Notified Bodies 30
P Why do you get assigned an auditor from a registrar (that sticks with you) Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
L Questions to ask a New Registrar TS 16949 Auditor Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
M Registrar Nightmare... Document Review and Other Auditor Issues ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 76
M Requesting Auditor Change from Registrar - Feedback, Please Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
Sidney Vianna Does your Registrar have a high Auditor Turnover Rate? Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
Antonio Vieira Bad Auditor - Is it normal to ask the registrar to send a different auditor Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
R Registrar Lead Auditor qualifications - What are the General Auditing Discussions 2
J FMEA Level of Detail - Is the registrar's auditor correct? FMEA and Control Plans 1
Marc Registrar Lawsuits? Troubles at ABS-QE - Auditor Qualifications Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
Marc Auditor and Registrar Competence Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
M AS9100D Registrar pre-audit requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
G 0 non conformities in registrar audits over 4 years Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
M Do AS9100 Registrar Auditors have nonconformity quotas? General Auditing Discussions 18
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R Change Notification - Registrar vs Notified body ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
E Choosing an ISO 9001 registrar with auditors familiar with our industry Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
L Audit boundaries - Is a Registrar permitted to audit a company's QMS by visiting their suppliers? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
Jen Kirley Is your registrar (CB) accredited? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 9
K Seeking ISO 13485 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
P Notify Registrar of Escalation letter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M New AS9100 Registrar - Recommendations for Transfer Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Notifying Registrar of Significant QMS changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Does anyone know a registrar that offers both ISO 9001 and ISO 17020? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
S Certification Body, Registrar, Notified Body - What is the difference? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
1 ISO Registrar with waste water treatment experience Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
D How can a company transfer their AS certificate from a suspended AS91XX registrar? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
P Delay in IATF 16949 Certification from Registrar Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
M Should Potential Customer Complaint Outcome Define Registrar NC Rating? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Is a Domain Registrar a Critical Supplier? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
F Which Medical Device Standard Registrar would you recommend? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
WCHorn Transfering certificate from Registrar "A" to Registrar "B" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
W Registrar Practices - Audit Plan with Scope, Dates/Times, etc. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V Under what circumstances will a Registrar Audit a Company? (ISO 13485 - Canada) Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
M Contacting a "Must Use" (aka Sole Source) Supplier's Registrar Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
C Registrar Charges Per CAR Written Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
Q Supplier evaluation for registrar? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
A AS9100 Registrar Expense Report Practices Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Answered; Registrar Dropped ISO 14971 Certification Program; What Now? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
R Registrar Annual Management Fee Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
L Registrar Audit Report Length General Auditing Discussions 6
L Registrar Audit Scope and Limits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9