Registrar Charges Per CAR Written

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So I'm looking at a quote for registration services, and it says:

"Auditor CAR Review will be billed at $90 per CAR written."

Does anyone else's registrar charge per CAR?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Never seen that. I have seen CB's that charge a fee to review appeals, but, up until now, a charge to review corrective action plans, per CAR, is news to me. Looks like some of the CB's, in their downward spiral, race to the bottom, like to follow the nickleing and dimeing, everything a la carte, business models.

It is just a matter of time until one boasts (EXPLICITLY) to be the low-cost, no frills registrar. It is amazing the lack of business acumen some registrar representatives demonstrate. The charge per corrective action plan review will just create more potential friction and animosity between audit teams and auditees, because, now, there is a clear and direct financial impact to registrants, based on the number of nonconformities. It is a built-in potential perception of conflict of interest.

20 years ago was a common thing for CB auditors to remind clients: "we don't get paid by the number of NC's". Now, they do.

Last edited:

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
If this is the Registrar then I see a 'hidden' agenda to find the most CA's one can even if a corrective action does not exist. Granted, at $90 per CA, generally speaking they are not adding much to the final cost of registration but it does add up and brings about (as others have said), a conflict of interest.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It is the proposal for registration services from a well-known registrar. They also charge an annual registration maintenance of $650 per year.

I was working with this registrar at the company I used to be with from 2000-2008, and I didn't see this stuff. Then I was with a different registrar from 2008-2013, and didn't pay this stuff.

I work in the aerospace group of a very large company now, so I take care of customer audits and such, but the AS9100 registration was not my responsibility, so I had not seen their quote until recently.

I'm bummed about this registrar for a number of reasons these last few years. When I first started working here, I thought it would be great to be working with them again, because I had such a great experience with them at the last place.

Charging per CAR is ridiculous - for all the reasons you guys stated. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Our current charges per CAR. Worked pretty well for a while when we had only a few CAR here and there. But then we got hit by a real "winner" who nit picked us to death. It was all BS. We fought as best we could, but the "fix" was in. If the Registrar is who I am thinking, run, don't walk, away. Like you, we had good experience in the past. Now, not so much. We won't be using them any longer.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Charging per CAR is ridiculous - for all the reasons you guys stated. :rolleyes:
I can see that it could make for EVEN more heated discussions about the validity of the reported nonconformities. When a (contract) auditor benefits financially from writing up multiple nonconformities, instead of potentially aggregating multiple instances of similar problems into one, the relationship between the registrant and registrar just gets more adversarial.

I understand that, in one case, a CB makes it a financial disadvantage for their auditors to write NCs. Any reports etc which are created, beyond the "normal", attract a cost of processing penalty...

You can also add that some costs are paid "up front" for the whole 3 years, non-refundable deposits are charged (based on the total fees for the 3 year period) which dissuade clients if they get bad service. One CB, I believe, charges for early termination of the agreement too...

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Nothing surprises me. That's why, back around 20 years ago, I made some Excel spreadsheets for my clients to compare registrars. Some charged for auditor travel time, so if the auditor drove... A company could end up with one heck of a bill for auditor travel alone.

Head back in time... Attachment Listing Search for registrar

Look for Registrar_Comparison_1.xls and Registrar_Comparison_2.xls - Should also be in Old pdf_files directory

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
I can see that it could make for EVEN more heated discussions about the validity of the reported nonconformities. When a (contract) auditor benefits financially from writing up multiple nonconformities, instead of potentially aggregating multiple instances of similar problems into one, the relationship between the registrant and registrar just gets more adversarial.
One thing for sure, I don't get krap for reviewing CAR's for NC's I write...Not one red cent!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R Change Notification - Registrar vs Notified body ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
E Choosing an ISO 9001 registrar with auditors familiar with our industry Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
L Audit boundaries - Is a Registrar permitted to audit a company's QMS by visiting their suppliers? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
Jen Kirley Is your registrar (CB) accredited? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 9
K Seeking ISO 13485 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
P Notify Registrar of Escalation letter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M New AS9100 Registrar - Recommendations for Transfer Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Notifying Registrar of Significant QMS changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A ISO 9001:2015 registrar Auditor requesting copies of procedure prior to audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
N Does anyone know a registrar that offers both ISO 9001 and ISO 17020? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
S Certification Body, Registrar, Notified Body - What is the difference? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
1 ISO Registrar with waste water treatment experience Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
D How can a company transfer their AS certificate from a suspended AS91XX registrar? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
P Delay in IATF 16949 Certification from Registrar Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
MrPhish Should Potential Customer Complaint Outcome Define Registrar NC Rating? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Is a Domain Registrar a Critical Supplier? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
F Which Medical Device Standard Registrar would you recommend? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
WCHorn Transfering certificate from Registrar "A" to Registrar "B" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
W Registrar Practices - Audit Plan with Scope, Dates/Times, etc. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Breach of Contract from Registrar (Auditor Payment Issue) Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
V Under what circumstances will a Registrar Audit a Company? (ISO 13485 - Canada) Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
M Contacting a "Must Use" (aka Sole Source) Supplier's Registrar Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
Q Supplier evaluation for registrar? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
A AS9100 Registrar Expense Report Practices Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Answered; Registrar Dropped ISO 14971 Certification Program; What Now? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
R Registrar Annual Management Fee Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
L Registrar Audit Report Length General Auditing Discussions 6
A AATT Aerospace Auditor Requirements for an AS9100 Registrar AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
E Consultant Person who implemented ALSO the Registrar Auditor? Consultants and Consulting 17
L Registrar Audit Scope and Limits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B TS 16949 Auditor Availability and Registrar Scheduling Delays Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
S QSB+ revoked - Notify registrar, what's next? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
P Which TS 16949 registrar do you use? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
V Our Registrar has been Suspended AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Looking for an ISO 9001 Registrar in Bucks County, PA, USA Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
N Second Registrar Visit to Confirm Major Nonconformances Fixed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T Registrar Gap Assessments AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M How to find a Good Registrar (Certification Body) for ISO TS 16949 certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
S Which is the "Best" Registrar Accreditation Body? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
R "Use of Registrar's Logo" question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Registrar Finding - Hair Nets and Beard Covers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S ISO 9001 Documents for Submission to the Registrar ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 78
MarilynJ6354 American Global Standards Virtual Registrar ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 Registrar Auditor Credentials Career and Occupation Discussions 8
J Major NC downgraded to Minor by Registrar during Re-Visit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
A Controlled Shipping Level - Supplier reporting themselves to their Registrar Customer and Company Specific Requirements 10
P Registrar Auditor's Candid Remarks - Should I report him to his office? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
S Registrar Ranking - Looking for feedback on SAI Global Registrars and Notified Bodies 8