Registrar Comparisons - We're thinking of switching registrars

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T
Our company is thinking of switching Registrars, a sister division has had problems with companies registered by our current Registrar. The last audit conducted by our registrar seemed to be better at finding noncompliances with the ISO 9001 standard to which we are Registered, however the general perception here is that we have been done a dis-service with receiving acceptable results in the past. We are wondering what the perceptions might be if we were to change registrars.

T

TheOtherMe

If you're not happy, change registrars. There's no perception issue that I know of. Interest is typically in the certificate, not who the registrar was. However, I have had clints who chose a registrar on subjective reasoning. One client wanted UL because they believe UL is 'unimpeachable' by reputation. I personally would not recommend UL.

You're paying a lot of money for their services. Not happy? Switch!

Russ Jackson

Starting to get Involved
Todd, it may be that you are experiencing less than satisfactory auditor performance. If you have not discussed the matter directly with the registrar (not an auditor) then you should first do so unless you have received similar reports from others about the registrar. If this has been discussed with the registrar then changing registrars is probably the appropriate action to take; and your customers should not blink an eye at the action you take. If it turns out that auditor performance is the problem, you can request that certain auditor(s)not be scheduled to do your audits. It is unfortunate that this has to be done in this business but it happens.

Remember that you are the Registrar's customer. I think that most of us expect or at least hope that our customers will give us feedback when not satisfied with performance or quality. This process can work in our dealings with the registrars.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Russ is right. I spoke (typed) in haste. There is a sequence to consider going through. BUT - be ready to state your dissatisfaction precisely in unambiguous terms and don't accept excuses.

Since we're on the subject, what is your complaint?

D

David Guffey

On the subject of satisfaction, here's an experience you can note. With a previous company, I lead the effort to become ISO 9001 certified. Our registrar was ABS Quality Evaluations. And, in the beginning they did a great job. We were pleased. After about a year and two surveillance audits, they stopped a practice I really liked. That was to provide a forum to feedback on the process and the auditor performance. Now, I am with a new company and Smither's Quality Assessments is our registrar for ISO 9002/QS-9000. We have been very pleased. Notice that ABS-QE is not the registrar. The main reason I did not re-select them was the difficulty in providing feedback. It's as if they don't any longer want to hear their customers' voice.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Unfortunately that is often the case with many companies. Software companies and the teleco's are notorious for bad service.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R Change Notification - Registrar vs Notified body ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
E Choosing an ISO 9001 registrar with auditors familiar with our industry Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
L Audit boundaries - Is a Registrar permitted to audit a company's QMS by visiting their suppliers? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
Jen Kirley Is your registrar (CB) accredited? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 9
K Seeking ISO 13485 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
P Notify Registrar of Escalation letter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M New AS9100 Registrar - Recommendations for Transfer Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Notifying Registrar of Significant QMS changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A ISO 9001:2015 registrar Auditor requesting copies of procedure prior to audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
N Does anyone know a registrar that offers both ISO 9001 and ISO 17020? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
S Certification Body, Registrar, Notified Body - What is the difference? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
1 ISO Registrar with waste water treatment experience Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
D How can a company transfer their AS certificate from a suspended AS91XX registrar? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
P Delay in IATF 16949 Certification from Registrar Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
MrPhish Should Potential Customer Complaint Outcome Define Registrar NC Rating? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Is a Domain Registrar a Critical Supplier? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
F Which Medical Device Standard Registrar would you recommend? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
WCHorn Transfering certificate from Registrar "A" to Registrar "B" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
W Registrar Practices - Audit Plan with Scope, Dates/Times, etc. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Breach of Contract from Registrar (Auditor Payment Issue) Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
V Under what circumstances will a Registrar Audit a Company? (ISO 13485 - Canada) Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
M Contacting a "Must Use" (aka Sole Source) Supplier's Registrar Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
C Registrar Charges Per CAR Written Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
Q Supplier evaluation for registrar? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
A AS9100 Registrar Expense Report Practices Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Answered; Registrar Dropped ISO 14971 Certification Program; What Now? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
R Registrar Annual Management Fee Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
L Registrar Audit Report Length General Auditing Discussions 6
A AATT Aerospace Auditor Requirements for an AS9100 Registrar AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
E Consultant Person who implemented ALSO the Registrar Auditor? Consultants and Consulting 17
L Registrar Audit Scope and Limits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B TS 16949 Auditor Availability and Registrar Scheduling Delays Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
S QSB+ revoked - Notify registrar, what's next? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
P Which TS 16949 registrar do you use? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
V Our Registrar has been Suspended AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Looking for an ISO 9001 Registrar in Bucks County, PA, USA Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
N Second Registrar Visit to Confirm Major Nonconformances Fixed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T Registrar Gap Assessments AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M How to find a Good Registrar (Certification Body) for ISO TS 16949 certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
S Which is the "Best" Registrar Accreditation Body? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
R "Use of Registrar's Logo" question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Registrar Finding - Hair Nets and Beard Covers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S ISO 9001 Documents for Submission to the Registrar ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 78
MarilynJ6354 American Global Standards Virtual Registrar ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 Registrar Auditor Credentials Career and Occupation Discussions 8
J Major NC downgraded to Minor by Registrar during Re-Visit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
A Controlled Shipping Level - Supplier reporting themselves to their Registrar Customer and Company Specific Requirements 10
P Registrar Auditor's Candid Remarks - Should I report him to his office? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9