Registrars as consultants?

M

msoules

It seems to me that the best consultant would also be a registrar, but not the registrar one uses, of course. Is anyone aware of registrars that also consult? My company is small and in need of serious help in the TS 16949 transition.

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

D.Scott

Welcome to the Cove Msoules.

I don't think it is a given that the best consultant would be a registrar. If you could use the same one to consult and register then maybe the point would be true.

For me, if I was in trouble and needed help, I would call on someone who does consulting for a living. That person has done it enough times to know where to go without re-building your entire system. For my money, I think we have a number of real experts right here at the Cove. He probably won't say so himself but if he is available, my choice would be our forum owner - Marc Smith. See his links at the top of the main page. If he isn't available, there are some great consultants here. Just put out the word and I am sure they will contact you.

I hope shameless referrals isn't against the rules. If it is, I would still make the same recommendation in private so just pretend this is an email.
Good luck.

Dave

msoules said:
It seems to me that the best consultant would also be a registrar, but not the registrar one uses, of course. Is anyone aware of registrars that also consult? My company is small and in need of serious help in the TS 16949 transition.
TS registrars are prohibited from consulting, at least to the point that they cannot register those who they consult with. I agree with Dave, but would like to add one point. Look through these forums a lot of your questions can be answered here. Also, there are several consultants in this area ( I for one, Tom Vehoski AKA tomvehoski for another) that will answer your questions directly.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
db said:
TS registrars are prohibited from consulting,
I believe all registrars - ISO or TS or whatever, are prohibited from consulting. Do a search here in the forums for Perry Johnson - the Classic cross-over.
D.Scott said:
For me, if I was in trouble and needed help, I would call on someone who does consulting for a living. That person has done it enough times to know where to go without re-building your entire system. For my money, I think we have a number of real experts right here at the Cove. He probably won't say so himself but if he is available, my choice would be our forum owner - Marc Smith. See his links at the top of the main page. If he isn't available, there are some great consultants here. Just put out the word and I am sure they will contact you.

I hope shameless referrals isn't against the rules. If it is, I would still make the same recommendation in private so just pretend this is an email.
I appreciate your 'Vote of Confidence'. I do stand upon my record: http://Elsmar.com/resume.html .

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
The registrar itself may not be able to provide consulting, but the individual auditors are allowed to, providing (of course) they are not auditing the same companies they consult with.

I'm another one here that mainly does consulting, but also audits for registrars on contract. Marc has provided a thread in the TS 16949 forum for those here at the cove that are available to do consulting work. Check it out: http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=4380

Randy

Super Moderator
Like Dave I'd recommend using Marc or any of the other folks that frequent this place. You won't have to look too far for very good and competent help.

M

msoules

Thank you all very much. I have already learned a bunch by reading this forum. Best $25 I have spent in a long time!

I understand and agree that my current registrar/auditor can not/should not/must not consult. Anyone heard of Arthur Anderson?!? :) And I respect shameless plugs - they help pay the bills! I may just be able to pull this off without a ton of help from the outside, which is a wonderful thing for a little place like ours. But it is nice to know there is a source just a few clicks away.

We already had one consultant in here to give us an overview, which included several animals (octopus, turtle, etc.) and was more confusing than helpful. We decided it was his way of trying to get us to hire him to un-confuse us, but it backfired. Coincidentally, I discovered he is consulting with a large auto supplier facility in the area, and their TS implementation leader thinks he doesn't know his stuff. She and our most recent QS auditor believe the aforementioned animals are "old school" teaching. So, long story longer, we would want to be as sure as possible that the consultant is up to speed on TS. And it certainly seems we have some here!!

Thanks again. I shall pester all when needed.

Mary

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stijloor Consultants, have you received calls from Registrars lately? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
N Any experience with Registrars that deny Certification to a Registrant? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
BeaBea Registrars with VAR (Value Added Reseller) experience Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
P List of ISO certificate registrars around the world - ISO certification databases ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Canada - Registrars that allow e-auditing for ISO 9001? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
N I am looking at two Registrars Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
B IATF 16949 - Different Registrars for remote and manufacturing sites? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C Changing Registrars Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
julsbear When will registrars begin audits for IATF 16949:2016? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
R Registrars offering to perform Second Party Audits - Have they failed their role? Registrars and Notified Bodies 105
L Are ISO/TS Registrars also controlled or governed by ISO17021:2011? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J What are the steps to transfer TS 16949 certification or switch registrars? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
B Why don't we have more representation from Registrars at The Cove? Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
G ISO Registrars/CBs citing for use of "Detection" in Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 27
G Are there any ISO registrars that should not be selected and why? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
J Suspension in OASIS - AS9100 Certification and its Registrars Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
V List of Registrars in Australia Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
S Listings of registrars certified to perform AS9100 audits? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J Registrars Doing Synchronized (Combined) Audits to AS9100 and ISO 13485 Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
Q Global Accreditation Association, Bureau of Registrars Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
G Reporting QMS changes to third party auditors (certification bodies aka registrars) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Certification Organizations (Registrars) - Which are good? Registrars and Notified Bodies 16
GStough Verisys Registrars - Interesting Statements on Their Web Site Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
C Changing ISO 9001 registrars (second triennial)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C Notified Body References and Reviews - Changing ISO 13485 Registrars EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Q Registrars and Consulting - How far can a registrar go in consulting for a company? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
tsmith7858 ISO 22000 Registrars in US Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
Sidney Vianna Should Registrars "police" registrants websites? Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
R Requirement to Complete Missing Documentation - Changing Registrars Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
N Reputations of ISO 9001 Certifying Bodies (Registrars) - SGS, AJA, BVQI, SAI Global Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
X Where to start with ISO 13485 and Registrars near Seattle ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Website that lists Certified ISO13485 Registrars ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
G PPAP and IMDS Penalties and Registrars RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 16
quality1 Legitimacy of ISO 9001:2000 Registrars and Certificates Registrars and Notified Bodies 16
N Registrars / Certification Bodies offering consultancy and training services? Registrars and Notified Bodies 17
Wesley Richardson Domain Name Registrars and Hosting Services Solutions After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
WCHorn ISO/IEC 17025 Registrars - I'm confused about "accredited" registrars for ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 18
samer What are the most famous registrars (certification bodies) in the world ? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
Colin Different Methods CBs (Certified Bodies, aka Registrars) use to Report Audit Findings Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
Q Questions about two Certification Bodies (Registrars) Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
Sidney Vianna Are Unethical Registrars a Small Minority of the Registration Community? Registrars and Notified Bodies 48
L Audit Logs - What do you do when registrars ask for them? General Auditing Discussions 10
R Chinese Registrars: CQM Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
A Is there any kind of Ranking available for selecting the Registrars? Registrars and Notified Bodies 31
Sidney Vianna Article on concerns over price pressure effects on to Registrars Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
Q Looking for Names of Registrars in SE WI Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
P Can I have 2 certificates under 2 different registrars for ISO 9001:2000? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C Which registrars require suppliers to have a TS 16949 requirements waiver? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 26
B Perry Johnson Registrars - TS 16949 Registrar Qualification Registrars and Notified Bodies 40
Paul Simpson Accreditation of TS 16949 registrars controlled by the IATF? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10