ARE REGISTRARS HURTING FOR C$$$

• YES, send them more they are hurting

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • NO, they have enough

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters
A

Aaron Lupo

Before I reply, can you explain the question? Are you asking if the Registrars are hurting the same way the rest of the economy is or are you asking is they are hurting becuase people are dropping ISO Certification because they feel they don't need it anymore??

B

Bob_M

How about a third option?

NOT SURE.

Our registrar actually quoted us cheaper than last year for the same amount of days. Hurt for business so they lowered price? Competive shopping?

1994 vs 2000 and a new "sales rep" or what ever he is the only difference I know of in our case...

N

noboxwine

Yes they are hurting !

MHO is that registrars are just another commodity, in a flattening market, and they are certainly not immune to the economy. There is rarely, if ever, a return on the investment (except for the sole trump card----"....cant have business without the certificate....."---blah blah) so they are becoming aware that they need to compete, more than ever, for business. And, the low-cost producer, will get the best shot.
:p

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
ISO GUY said:
Before I reply, can you explain the question? Are you asking if the Registrars are hurting the same way the rest of the economy is or are you asking is they are hurting becuase people are dropping ISO Certification because they feel they don't need it anymore??
It could be several or a combination economy, registration slack, six sigma,etc. If you think they are, why?

A

Aaron Lupo

gpainter said:
It could be several or a combination economy, registration slack, six sigma,etc. If you think they are, why?

JMHO- but I don't think they are. I know my time is in great demand for a couple that I do sub-contracting for. I have not heard of any that are getting killed. In fact I know there are quite a few that are having a hard time keeping up with the flood of 9K2K upgrade requests they will be/are seeing. That being said we have to remember they are like the rest of use and are not imune to the slumping economy.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
I agree with ISO GUY - they are a business like everyone else. They have their ups and downs. If the market won't bear as many as there are, prices will drop and/or some will go under.

There are usually several that compete against each other in my area. My company probably encourages this, since we give our consulting clients feedback on registrars we've dealt with, give guidance on how to pick a good registrar and help to put them in contact with several registrars for quotes.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Are they hurting...dunno. But boy do they know how to make a Sales pitch or what?

Our company recently merged with 2 others, bringing us to 11 facilities in North America (3 here in Canada). 2 of the plants had a registered ISO 9002 programme (with different Registrars). Our plant in Manitoba attained ISO 9001 earlier this year. We just attained ours...that sound you hear is my big sigh of relief.

Anyway, the US plants think that us Canucks might be onto something here and are planning on going ISO 9001...hmm...if we jumped off a cliff...but I digress...

At our Transition Audit Closing Meeting, one of the Auditors had the audacity to actually start pitching his company to us...and as more than just a Registar. They smell money, and yes, while I admit that it would be finacially advantageous for our now much larger organization to have one Registrar, to say as much at OUR Closing Meeting is unprofessional and unwelcome. Make an offer after the meeting, fax/email me, but not there with a captive audience.

He talked about the Registar's coaching functions and ability to help the other facilities come online effectively. He promoted their Auditors as the best in North America (I would dispute that statement here, but that's another thread, I'm sure).

With that kind of pitch, I don't know if Registars are hurting for $$$, but goodness knows they're tenacious enough to look for it wherever they can.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
More and more registrars are focusing on the more $ oriented business, like AS9100 where they can still get a premium price for audits.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
RCBeyette said:
Are they hurting...dunno. But boy do they know how to make a Sales pitch or what?

At our Transition Audit Closing Meeting, one of the Auditors had the audacity to actually start pitching his company to us...and as more than just a Registar. They smell money, and yes, while I admit that it would be finacially advantageous for our now much larger organization to have one Registrar, to say as much at OUR Closing Meeting is unprofessional and unwelcome. Make an offer after the meeting, fax/email me, but not there with a captive audience.

He talked about the Registar's coaching functions and ability to help the other facilities come online effectively. He promoted their Auditors as the best in North America (I would dispute that statement here, but that's another thread, I'm sure).

With that kind of pitch, I don't know if Registars are hurting for $$$, but goodness knows they're tenacious enough to look for it wherever they can.
Makes one wonder about the commission structure that would induce a guy to make a sales pitch at such an inappropriate moment.

Taking the Deming thinking to a logical end - these auditors aren't making pitches like that unless (forcefully or subtly) they are condoned by their managers. This is NOT an aberration by an individual auditor, but a systemic process to garner business.

An audited company's response?
If I had been there and it was my company, I would have shut the guy down in a heartbeat with the comment,
"A sales pitch for your company's services is totally inappropriate at this time. Get back to the audit or leave!"

I would have also been on the phone to the home office immediately demanding ALL my money back if this character then had the gall to screw us with nonconformity findings as an act of revenge.

Auditors are contract employees, not gods. If they can be hired, they can be fired for cause or even on a whim. My advice is NEVER allow yourself or your organization to be bullied by an auditor. Be sure you know your facts going into an audit so you can challenge erroneous findings!

Top Bottom