Registration Scope: Support Sites

S

SteelWoman

"Support Sites"

I've had my registrar question TWICE now, in what I'm sorry but my cynical self sees as a SHAMELESS attempt to get more $$$, if we are "supported' by any off-site locations. Presumably so they can demand to have to audit them, too.

We are a division of a large company that gets some reporting information from our corporate office, but other than that is not "supported" by another division or a corporate office. It's my understanding (maybe MISunderstanding?) that unless I want our corporate office listed on our cert as part of our certification scope, than we are not required to include them or have them audited separately as part of our certification. Am I wrong?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

Greg B

SteelWoman said:
We are a division of a large company that gets some reporting information from our corporate office, but other than that is not "supported" by another division or a corporate office. It's my understanding (maybe MISunderstanding?) that unless I want our corporate office listed on our cert as part of our certification scope, than we are not required to include them or have them audited separately as part of our certification. Am I wrong?
I recently had our Head Office (650 kilometers away) removed from our certificate as they are not a part of nor controlled by our 'Quality Management System' (the Scope) and the registrar agreed to have them removed saving us the hastle of carrying out internal audits etc and it saved us many $$$. However, our Head Office can use our QMS eg: If they discover a CA with a customer they are expected to use the correct form - CA (from Intranet) to report it. They have input into our quarterly Continuous Improvement Council meetings and of course our Business plans etc. I'm on your side IF YOU don't want them on the certificate then YOU should have the option. JMHO :bigwave:

Greg B

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
You shouldn't have to worry about it, there is no requirement for them to be on (in) your scope, especially if you are fairly autonomous. Actually, there isn't even a requirement that YOUR entire facility be registered above and beyond what you and your customers require. Take care!

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
SteelWoman said:
I've had my registrar question TWICE now, in what I'm sorry but my cynical self sees as a SHAMELESS attempt to get more $$$, if we are "supported' by any off-site locations.
The key is that any support sites not on the cert have to be treated as 'suppliers'.

SteelWoman said:
I've had my registrar question TWICE now, in what I'm sorry but my cynical self sees as a SHAMELESS attempt to get more $$$, if we are "supported' by any off-site locations. Presumably so they can demand to have to audit them, too.

It is a requirement.

Refer to the 1st para of clause 2.3 of the Certification Scheme":

"Suppoprting functions on site or remote, e.g., engineering, contracr review, purchasing, warehouses, shall be included in the initial and on-going surveillance audits. Audit planning and execution shall take into account all supporting sites and support activities, and the interfaces between them shall be defined and audited. The certification body audit plan shall reflect all applicable clauses at each location. Supporting functions shall be audited as they support a site but cannot obtain independent ISO/TS 16949:2002 certification. Design function, onsite or remote, shall undergo surveillance audits at least once within each consecutive 12-month period.. . . ."

Now, depending on the type of support you receive, your CB ( with your encouragement) can seek a waiver from the IAOB. If they fail to work with you on an issue like this, I would seek another registrar.

T

Teri - 2011

While we have a corporate certificate, we have a "sales department", that is not owned by us, that MUST be part of our regristration process. For QS purposes, we pretended they didn't exist to our regristrar. For TS they will be a part of it, including internal audits. (they are an off site support function)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Upgrade scope of registration to include support site required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S ISO 9001:2015 - Scope of Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
J Expanding our Company's AS9100D Registration Scope and Location AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B AS9100 Scope of Registration - Post-Delivery Activities N/A? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
C Taking exceptions in the scope statement for registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
G Service Parts Assembly Line and Scope of TS16949 Registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Include non-automotive in TS16949 Registration Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Scope of ISO 13485 Registration and Component Makers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
E Extending current ISO 9001 registration scope to cover SW development Software Quality Assurance 2
A ISO9001:2008 Change of Scope of Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Scope on ISO 9001 Registration Certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Product not in the Registration Scope of a Critical Subcontractor/Supplier CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
K AS9100 Change in Registration Scope - Audit Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
I Defining the scope for ISO 9001 Registration - Software, Hardware and Customer Care ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Fender1 Management Wants to Exclude a Customer Product Line from Registration Scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C Accuracy of Scope of Registration Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
P What defines a campus? (Scope of ISO 14001 registration) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
A Execution of Work at Two Locations - Scope of Registration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
F Adding a New Office Location to an ISO 9001 Certificate (Scope of Registration) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Jim Wynne Is this ISO 9001 Registration Scope Statement Too Vague? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
P Change of Scope of Registration required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Bringing a Second Office Location into Registration Scope ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 12
H Scope Definition - Scope of ISO 9001 Registration Imported Legacy Blogs 1
S Scope Definition - Scope of ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
S Adding an additional site to our current TS 16949 registration scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Scope of Registration ? Design Responsible ? Outsource Design??? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L UKAS Scope of Registration - What if our CB becomes non-accreditated? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
L How to check for validity of registration scope during ISO9001:2008 external audit Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
H Analytical Environmental Laboratory ISO 17025 Registration Scope ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
G Determining the Scope of ISO 9001:2000 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
A Changing the Registration Scope - No More Automotive Products - TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K IATF Requirements for Registration Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E Amendment to the ISO9001 registration scope (more like verbiage to me) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
samer Scope of ISO 9001 Registration of Automotive Leasing Company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Accreditation to TS 16949 - How to word our Registration Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T Registration Scope Change? Automotive seat frames - We will soon be adding milling IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Scope Of Registration To TS 16949 - Need help in determining IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
D Limiting TS 16949 registration scope - Heat Treating facility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Acquisitions - A Scope of Registration Question General Auditing Discussions 1
D Confused about registration scope - Engine accessories supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
F Expanding a Company's Scope of Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M ISO 9001 Scope of Registration - Company sub-contracts everything ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Splitting a factory for ISO 14001 Registration Scope ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
J Adding a New Department to our Registration Certification Scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
H Scope of TL 9000 - Telcos contracts now requiring registration TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 10
T Scope of Registration - Refer to the QSR appendix I para 19 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
D Scope of Registration QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 7
M Establishment Registration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
R Importers - For the FDA Registration/ Listing, is the CMO the importer? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
A Registration requirements for custom branded device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1