Registration Scope: Support Sites

S

SteelWoman

"Support Sites"

I've had my registrar question TWICE now, in what I'm sorry but my cynical self sees as a SHAMELESS attempt to get more $$$, if we are "supported' by any off-site locations. Presumably so they can demand to have to audit them, too.

We are a division of a large company that gets some reporting information from our corporate office, but other than that is not "supported" by another division or a corporate office. It's my understanding (maybe MISunderstanding?) that unless I want our corporate office listed on our cert as part of our certification scope, than we are not required to include them or have them audited separately as part of our certification. Am I wrong?

G

Greg B

SteelWoman said:
We are a division of a large company that gets some reporting information from our corporate office, but other than that is not "supported" by another division or a corporate office. It's my understanding (maybe MISunderstanding?) that unless I want our corporate office listed on our cert as part of our certification scope, than we are not required to include them or have them audited separately as part of our certification. Am I wrong?

I recently had our Head Office (650 kilometers away) removed from our certificate as they are not a part of nor controlled by our 'Quality Management System' (the Scope) and the registrar agreed to have them removed saving us the hastle of carrying out internal audits etc and it saved us many $$$. However, our Head Office can use our QMS eg: If they discover a CA with a customer they are expected to use the correct form - CA (from Intranet) to report it. They have input into our quarterly Continuous Improvement Council meetings and of course our Business plans etc. I'm on your side IF YOU don't want them on the certificate then YOU should have the option. JMHO :bigwave:

Greg B

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
You shouldn't have to worry about it, there is no requirement for them to be on (in) your scope, especially if you are fairly autonomous. Actually, there isn't even a requirement that YOUR entire facility be registered above and beyond what you and your customers require. Take care!

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
SteelWoman said:
I've had my registrar question TWICE now, in what I'm sorry but my cynical self sees as a SHAMELESS attempt to get more $$$, if we are "supported' by any off-site locations.
The key is that any support sites not on the cert have to be treated as 'suppliers'.

S

Sam

SteelWoman said:
I've had my registrar question TWICE now, in what I'm sorry but my cynical self sees as a SHAMELESS attempt to get more $$$, if we are "supported' by any off-site locations. Presumably so they can demand to have to audit them, too.

It is a requirement.

Refer to the 1st para of clause 2.3 of the Certification Scheme":

"Suppoprting functions on site or remote, e.g., engineering, contracr review, purchasing, warehouses, shall be included in the initial and on-going surveillance audits. Audit planning and execution shall take into account all supporting sites and support activities, and the interfaces between them shall be defined and audited. The certification body audit plan shall reflect all applicable clauses at each location. Supporting functions shall be audited as they support a site but cannot obtain independent ISO/TS 16949:2002 certification. Design function, onsite or remote, shall undergo surveillance audits at least once within each consecutive 12-month period.. . . ."

Now, depending on the type of support you receive, your CB ( with your encouragement) can seek a waiver from the IAOB. If they fail to work with you on an issue like this, I would seek another registrar.

T

Teri - 2011

While we have a corporate certificate, we have a "sales department", that is not owned by us, that MUST be part of our regristration process. For QS purposes, we pretended they didn't exist to our regristrar. For TS they will be a part of it, including internal audits. (they are an off site support function)

Top Bottom