Regression Control Chart - Process Capability

S

Stevenli

Folks,

I have collected some data for tool wearing (ream cutter), and set up a regression control chart based on # of parts produced.

Now I'd like to get some helps from you guys on how to calculate the process capability Cpk in this situation.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards
Steven

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Why do you want Cpk? For a customer requirement, for you to understand defect rate to drawing spec, or to simply understand potential stack ups and wear with the final assembly? Believe it or not it matters...

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions
My take on this:
Tool wearing may be a normal for your process but as a customer I don't think I would really care is your mean/variance are totally within regression control limits.
Your control limits may have a trend that varies over time and I would understand that, but as for my specification limits it is still static and would not change. Thus as a customer I would be asking for the Ppk, computed as usual.

Darius

Quite Involved in Discussions
Agree with Reynald, and if you are calculating Cpk, the long range variation (total variation used by ppk) is not taken in account, just the within sample variation, so the trend effect will be negligible (unless it happens very quickly) to the Cpk estimate.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Capability indices assume a normal distribution. With tool wear, you will have a quasi-uniform distribution (a uniform distribution with normal tails on each end). This would make any calculation of Cp/Cpk/Pp/Ppk meaningless.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I agree that as a Customer the most important thing is that I receive in specification parts. A stable and capable process has value in that it is more predictable and reduced variation - within reason for the intended use - are always a good thing. It gives me as the Customer a more predictable delivery at lower cost (which affects my price)

that said I would challenge everyone - including Reynald and the OP - to express what they expect the Cpk/Ppk value to mean to you. Its one thing to say "I must have a Cpk or Ppk value", its quite another to express what that number actually means to you. too often we simply ask for a number, compare it to some standard and claim that its good enough or needs to be improved without ANY thought as to what the number or the goal REALLY means and how they affect us.

Many people are also woefully unaware of how Cpk has evolved in meaning and use over the last 30 years. It ahs become (like the p value) a 'turn your brain off and check the darn box' hurdle to doing business. it has ceased to drive any real quality improvement...

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Capability indices assume a normal distribution. With tool wear, you will have a quasi-uniform distribution (a uniform distribution with normal tails on each end). This would make any calculation of Cp/Cpk/Pp/Ppk meaningless.
whoa. not every company uses this definition. many simply use Cpk as THE long term capability using the total standard deviation and never worry about short term variation. Don't just jump to the conclusion that all references to Cpk mean short capability....

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
total standard deviation is still total standard deviation. it will be very large compared to the SD of a symmetrical bullish shaped distribution that is as wide as the one you show. (as there are MANY parts near the spec limit. All parts are in specification.)
Control limits will be based on the SD about the best fit line and Cpk will based on the total SD.

the real question remains what does the Cpk actually mean to you or the Customer? and of course the real unanswered question - what is the part used for and how were the spec limits established? should we be worried

S

Stevenli

I agree that as a Customer the most important thing is that I receive in specification parts. A stable and capable process has value in that it is more predictable and reduced variation - within reason for the intended use - are always a good thing. It gives me as the Customer a more predictable delivery at lower cost (which affects my price)

that said I would challenge everyone - including Reynald and the OP - to express what they expect the Cpk/Ppk value to mean to you. Its one thing to say "I must have a Cpk or Ppk value", its quite another to express what that number actually means to you. too often we simply ask for a number, compare it to some standard and claim that its good enough or needs to be improved without ANY thought as to what the number or the goal REALLY means and how they affect us.

Many people are also woefully unaware of how Cpk has evolved in meaning and use over the last 30 years. It ahs become (like the p value) a 'turn your brain off and check the darn box' hurdle to doing business. it has ceased to drive any real quality improvement...
I like this great comments, thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Regression and homoscadasticity test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Significance of regression, correlation coefficient, hypothesesi, confidence interval Using Minitab Software 8
S Least squares estimate, regression model and corresponding residuals Using Minitab Software 13
N Regression Model (Minitab 18) - Which values my input parameters should have Using Minitab Software 2
A Why I get a different kind of regression equation when I do the same data in a differ Using Minitab Software 7
P Basic Minitab Help - It's about Linear Regression Using Minitab Software 1
R Regression for MTBF (Medical Device: Repairs vs Install Base) with Reliability Data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 16
C Regression with Life Data, Incorrect Minitab Documentation? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
P How to do Multiple Regression Analysis in Minitab 16 Using Minitab Software 8
B Using Minitab 17's Stepwise Regression to Predict Feature Using Minitab Software 2
A Predictive Model Development (Regression?) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S How to use Dummy Variable in Regression Model in Minitab Six Sigma 2
S ANOVA/Regression - Analyzing a Dataset which contains over 4500 Points Using Minitab Software 3
O Minitab Script to Save Regression Plots to an Image File Using Minitab Software 8
W Zero setting of correlation graph when plotting best fit linear regression Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S Regression Analysis / ANOVA using Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
E How to run an OLS or Logistic Regression when I have Panel Data in Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
S Using Minitab for Multinomial Logistic Regression Using Minitab Software 2
J Minitab Rank Deficiency Issue - Binary Logisitic Regression Using Minitab Software 1
M Understanding of Regression and ANOVA in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
P Regression Analysis for Aging Study in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
A Questions about Regression for Modeling, Best Experimental Design Using Minitab Software 2
N Linear Regression Formula with Four Variables to a Power Regression Formula Using Minitab Software 2
Q Regression Analysis for the Attached Data - help needed - TIA Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 13
B Regression analysis with discrete dependent variable and continuous independent var. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
S How to interpret a Linear Regression in Minitab? Using Minitab Software 3
D Multiple regression with student t distribution Using Minitab Software 1
P How to do Nonlinear Regression and generate a Correlation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
BradM Calling all Regression Analysis Pros! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
C Degrees of Freedom with Linear Regression - Pressure Sensor Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 15
S CQE sample exam - Question 23 about a regression model Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
R Prediction Intervals for Quadratic Regression Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Interpreting Linear Regression Results from Minitab Using Minitab Software 15
R Can Factorial Design provide Regression Equation like RSM? Using Minitab Software 4
V Identifying Significant Factors - Regression Analysis vs Correlation vs ANOVA vs DOE Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
Q Can I use Regression Analysis in the following scenario Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
E Minitab Regression Analysis to predict Horse Racing result Using Minitab Software 2
J Binary logistic regression for attribute/discrete data Using Minitab Software 7
M Regression Analysis Help - Factors influencing a Dependent Variable Using Minitab Software 7
N Using Regression Analysis in Excel - Predicting a Value Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 30
W Z-values in Logistic Regression stem from a Wald test? Using Minitab Software 7
W Discrete vs. Continuous Variables and Linear Regression. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S How to represent interactions in non-linear regression analysis in Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
J Non-Normally Distributed Residuals - Regression to determine how many testers I need Using Minitab Software 13
I Partial Least Square Regression Result - Question Using Minitab Software 3
J Regression Equations - Can you move terms around I.E. simple algebra? Using Minitab Software 4
A Binary Logistic Regression - Evaluation of Survey Responses Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
J Evaluating a Regression Model Using the Constant Variance Assumption Six Sigma 8
T Value of Regression Analysis in a plastic injection molding atmosphere Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Automated regression testing software Software Quality Assurance 4